Sunday Bandstand weekly brass band programme 28 October 2018

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by ChrisHelme, Oct 29, 2018.

1. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Hello Brass Banders...

Well it is great to be back after three weeks holidaying in the sun.
    I did spot whilst away that Foden's were crowned national champions, so a belated congratulations to them. I also saw that the death was announced of the outstanding trombone player, Derek Southcott, aged 72. He passed away on 21st October. He played with the Crossley Carpet Band in Halifax, Black Dyke Mills Band, the James Shepherd Versatile Brass and was lead trombone player with the Syd Lawrence Orchestra. He was also a respected contest adjudicator and brass teacher.
    In 2003 I wrote a story about his musical life, I have now updated this story. It is too long to go here - to read my story please go to my website: www.chrishelme-brighouse.org.uk

The second half of this week's show is dedicated to Derek and we have a number of solos from him. These highlight the superb quality of his playing.

Playlist 28 October 2018
    Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke Opening for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010
    Brass Band Frohsinn Schötz - Derek Broadbent Brass Band Frohsinn Schötz (Switzerland) MD: Ernst Balli - 1997
    Frontier Vision - Stephen Bulla Brass Band Excelsior Ferwert (The Netherlands) MD: Herman Sibma - 2017
    Concertino For Horn - Carl Maria von Weber arr: Michael Kenyon Tenor Horn Soloist Jonathan Miller with the Kettering Citadel Band of the Salvation Army BM: Richard Phillips - 2004
    Nåde - Iver Kleive / Knut Reiersrud arr: Frode Rydland Organist Iver Kleive with the Eikanger Bjorsvik Band (Norway) MD: Reid Gilje - 2005
    Don't Stop Believin' -Jonathan Cain, Neal Schon & Steve Perry arr: Mike Kilmartin Brass Band Heist (Belgium) MD: Bert van Thienen
    Trumpet Call - Kenneth Downie Trumpet Soloist Philip Cobb with the Cory Band GMD: Dr. Stephen Cobb - (Compilation CD) 2014
    A Special Moment - Steven Ponsford International Staff Band of the Salvation Army BM: Dr. Stephen Cobb - 2017
    Time to Say Goodbye - Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman arr: Don Campbell Brighouse and Rastrick Band MD: Alan Withington - 1997
    Grand March from Aida - Verdi arr: Denis Wright Besses O'Th' Barn Band MD: Paul Hindmarsh - 1993
    Dizzy Lizzie - Goff Richards Trombone Soloist Derek Southcott with the Stocksbridge Band MD: Christopher Houlding - 1993
    The Winds Beneath My Wings - L.Henly /J.Silbar arr: Darrol Barry Trombone Soloist Derek Southcott with the Stocksbridge Band MD: Christopher Houlding - 1993
    Arabian Nights - Fantasy on Rimsky Korsakov's Scheherazade - Stephen Roberts Black Dyke Band MD: Professor Nicholas Childs - 2016
    Flying The Breeze - Philip Sparke Williams Fairey Band MD: Philip McCann - 2001
    Bandits Chorus from Il Travatore - Verdi Festival of Massed Choirs with the Cheshire County Youth Brass Band MD: Edmund Walters - 1985
    Round Midnight - Cootie Williams & Thelonius Monk arr: Slide Hampton Trombone Quartet - Henrik Glanneskog, Jesper Holm, Andreas Krat & Anders Hellman - Gothenburg Band (Sweden) MD: Bengt Eklund - 2001
    Rhumba- Goff Richards Trombone Soloist Derek Southcott with the Stocksbridge Band MD: Christopher Houlding - 1993
    Pasadena - Harry Warren arr: Goff Richards Leyland Band MD: Russell Gray - 2006
    Dance Of The Tumblers - Rimsky Korsakov arr: Stanley Boddington The Virtuosi Brass Band of Great Britain MD: Stanley Boddington - 1970s
    Ad Astra – Jacob Vilhelm Larsen Tredegar Town Band MD: Ian Porthouse – 2013
    Trafalgar March - Wilhelm Zehle Massed bands of Fairey's, Foden's and BMC (Morris Motors) MD: Harry Mortimer - 1964
    Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke Closing for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice