Sunday Bandstand weekly brass band programme 28 May 2017

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by ChrisHelme, May 28, 2017.

1. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Hello Brass Banders

It is nice to be back – three weeks in the Cyprus sun has been a much needed tonic and gave me chance to work on a new book I have been commissioned to write – not a brass band book but one about the industry of my town of Brighouse. It is not finished and the publishers are advertising it now for pre orders in September – I hope they like it when it is finished and I send it to them.

A few weeks ago I took the opportunity of sending birthday greetings to the highly respected American composer and arranger James Curnow and received a nice reply. James has kindly sent me a number of CDs via the De Haske Music Company in the Netherlands. CDs that feature just some of the wonderful works that James has written over his long career.

Apologies for no show sent out to you for last week but the internet connection and speed was so slow in Cyprus during my stay it was impossible to send out my planned repeat to cover my holiday absence.

Hopefully, those regular listeners around the world who sent me emails asking about the missing shows did receive my replies explaining the reasons why they missed out.

Back to a normal service today – we have some fabulous music not only from the pen of James Curnow. I have also included a piece of music which I felt appropriate following the murders in Manchester.

James Curnow (b:1943) is a music composer for concert bands, brass bands, vocal and instrumental solos and ensembles. He has also written arrangements of music pieces such as Trumpet Voluntary. He has taught at both public schools and on college and university levels.

He was born in Port Huron, Michigan and raised in Royal Oak, Michigan, where he received his initial musical training in the public schools and The Salvation Army Instrumental Programs in these cities. He currently lives in Nicholasville, Kentucky where he is president, composer, and educational consultant for Curnow Music Press, Inc. He also serves as Composer-in-residence (emeritus) on the faculty of Asbury University in Wilmore, Kentucky. He is editor of all music publications for The Salvation Army in Atlanta, Georgia.

A highly respected composer and arranger of brass band music and we feature a number of his compositions on this week's show.

Playlist 28 May 2017
    Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke Opening for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010
    The Cavalier March - W.E.Moyles Burton Construction Newhall Band MD: Ernest Woodhouse - 1976
    A Swiss Excursion - Darrol Barry Nationale Jugend Brass Band Der Schweiz (Switzerland) MD: James Watson - 1995
    Supremacy - Matthew Bellamy Arr: Simon Kerwin Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2017
    Nordic Trilogy 1) The Longboats 2) Hymn to Odin 3) Perilous Voyages - Darrol Barry Cory Band MD: Dr Robert Childs - 2007
    Canto Religioso based on the American Folk Song Amazing Grace Arr: James Curnow Cornet Soloist Lynda Nicholson with the Desford Colliery Caterpilla Band MD: Jan de Haan - 1992
    American Overture For Band - Joseph Willcox Jenkins River City Brass Band (USA) MD: Denis Colwell - 2001
    Rose of Tralee - Traditional - Arr: Alan Fernie Sellars Engineering Band MD: Douglas Blackledge - 1992
    Variations on a Latin Theme - Alan Fernie Euphonium Soloist David Childs with the Buy as You View Cory Band MD: Robert Childs - 1992
    Wedding Procession from Le Coq d'Or - Rimsky Korsakov Arr: Major Peter Parkes Williams Fairey Engineering Band MD: Major Peter Parkes - 1992
    Washington Grays - Claudio Grafulla Arr: James Curnow Brass Band Soli Deo Gloria (The Netherlands) MD: Jan de Haan - 1993
    Sinfonietta - In Three Movements 1) Allegro Ma Non Troppo 2) Andante 3) Allegro Vivo - Gordon Langford Black Dyke Mills Band MD: Roy Newsome - 1976
    Meditation from "Thais" - Jules Massenet Arr: Tony Chesaux Cornet Soloist Florian Klingler with the Brass Band Froschl Hall (Austria) MD: Hannes Buchegger - 2004
    The Ellacombe Chronicles - James Curnow Melbourne Staff Band (Australia) BM: Ken Waterworth - 2014
    Sleep - Eric Whitacre Arr: Sandy Smith Brighouse and Rastrick Band MD: Professor David King - 2014
    Fanfare and Reach Out I'll Be There - Dozier and Holland BNFL Band MD: Manfred Obrecht - 1994
    Three Impressions for Brass - 3rd Mvt The Royal Border Bridge (1850) - Arthur Butterworth Whitwell Brass Band MD: Ken Vernon - 2003
    Abide With Me, 'Tis Eventide - William Henry Monk / Henry Francis Lyte The Mormon Tabernacle Choir with the Philadelphia Brass Ensemble & Percussion (USA) - 1992
    Sun And Moon From "Miss Saigon" - Claude-Michel Schönberg Brass Band De Bazuin Oenkerk (Netherlands) MD: Klaas van der Woude - 2001
    Fanfare and Flourishes - James Curnow Soli deo Gloria Band (The Netherlands) MD: Jan de Haan - 1991
    Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke Closing for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010

Enjoy the show

Chris