Sunday Bandstand weekly brass band programme 27 August 2017

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by ChrisHelme, Aug 27, 2017.

1. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Hello Brass Banders

Please note the email I have sent you the show on this week. My usual one is not currently working. My new website is about to go live and suddenly four of my five emails are not working. So the one sending you this show is or hopefully just a temporary measure.

I have a wonderful and diverse choice of music for you this week. Featuring bands and soloists from far and wide. As always I try to choose music that I feel there will be something if not all of it that you will all enjoy.

The two hour show I try to think of as a concert. A good opening to get the audience ready for the main programme, something you would choose to perhaps close the first half and then another good opener for the second part of the concert and as always a traditional big brass band finish. In and amongst have some fine soloists, not just brass players but everything from a violinist, pianist, saxophonist. Musicians from different genres, for example this week I have too tracks from a top draw jazz trombonist – with a brass band now there is a first. Then we have to have vocalists from a soloist to a choir. What about duets, trios and quartets and even double quartets and we can’t leave out a massed band performance. These are just some of the thoughts going through my mind when putting the weekly programme together.

As you can imagine I have thousands of tracks to choose from whether they be from the old 78 rpm recordings, 45s, EPs, 33⅓ vinyls, cassettes and yes, even CDs and never, well I try, not to have the same piece played by the same band twice six to twelve months. I also look towards the less experienced bands and play from their recordings as well. One of the things I really enjoy about the show is to make contact with someone who was a soloist and is on a particular recording that dates way back in time. They may be long retired but that solo they played whilst in their prime and for it to be played again after all these years as many old time soloists have said to me ‘Well, you have just made my day’...

If you have a request or a question about the world of brass bands please contact me by email: cdhelme3539.brighouse@zen.co.uk Have you a new CD out or has your band got a new CD scheduled for release later this year? If you have please consider sending me a couple of tracks to play on the show and as always promoting your new CD and your band’s website. If you send me the CD I can will a review done and publicise the whole CD on my website. You may also like to advertise on the website – well if you do please contact me by email.

Well, it’s time to get on with the show - enjoy

Gustav Theodore Holst (born Gustavus Theodore von Holst; 21.09. 1874 – 25.05 1934) was an English composer, arranger and teacher. Best known for his orchestral suite The Planets, he composed a large number of other works across a range of genres, although none achieved comparable success. His distinctive compositional style was the product of many influences, Richard Wagner and Richard Strauss being most crucial early in his development. The subsequent inspiration of the English folksong revival of the early 20th century, and the example of such rising modern composers as Maurice Ravel, led Holst to develop and refine an individual style.
    He came to the attention of the brass band movement through his 1928 national final championship test piece 'A Moorside Suite' . The winning band was Black Dyke Mills MD: William Halliwell. It has been played many times since as both a set test and own choice - enjoy

Playlist 27 August 2017

Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke

Opening for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010

Anniversary Hop - Roy Newsome

Nationale Jugend Brass Band Der Schweiz (Switzerland) MD: Roy Newsome - 1991

William Tell Overture - Rossini Arr: Gregor Grant

Grimethorpe Colliery Band MD: Garry Cutt - 1998

On the Street Where You Live - Alan Jay Lerner & Frederick Loewe Arr: Jerry Nowark Orch: Patrick Sheridan

Trombone Soloist Harry Watters with the Salt River Brass (USA) MD: Patrick Sheridan - 2015

Partita for Band -1 Towers and Chimneys 2 Lord of the Dance 3 Sunday Afternoon ; Pastorale 4 Coronation Day Parade - Philip Wilby

Brass Band Schoonhoven (The Netherlands) MD: Erik Janssen - 1996

Tallis Lamentation - Richard Grantham

Brass Band De Waldsang (The Netherlands) MD: Rieks van der Velde - 2005

March of the Toreadors from "Carmen" - Bizet Arr: David Hirst

Brighouse and Rastrick Band MD: David Hirst - 2000

Autumn Leaves - Kosma Arr: Bill Gelderd

Tenor Horn Soloist Owen Farr with the Cory Band MD: Philip Harper - 2015

The Victor - Kenneth Downie

Melbourne Staff Band of the Salvation Army (Australia) BM: Ken Waterworth - 2014

Simplicity March - J. Ord Hume

Carlton Main Frickley Colliery Band Guest MD: William Relton - 1970

I Know Him so Well from Chess - B.Andersson, Tim Rice, B.Ulvaeus Arr: S. Courtland

Thomas Tanner & Sepp Banz - Cornet and Flugel Duet with the Brass Band Kirchenmusik Fluhli (Switzerland) MD: Robert Balmer - 1987

Dance of the Tumblers - Rimsky-Korsakov Arr: Derek Ashmore

Fodens Richardson Band MD: Russell Gray - 2005

Pavane, Op. 50 - Gabriel Faure Arr: Gordon Langford

Britannia Building Society Band MD: Howard Snell - 1994

She Moved Through The Fair - Traditional Irish Air - Daryl Runswick Arr: Sandy Smith

Flugel Soloist Simon Stonehouse & Baritone Soloist Keith Muggeridge with the Williams Fairey Band MD: James Gourlay - 1997

Carnival in Paris - Frank Hughes

Royal Doulton Band MD: Edward Gray - 1977

You'd be so Nice to Come Home To - Cole Porter Arr: Patrick Sheridan

Trombone Soloist Harry Watters with the Salt River Brass (USA) MD: Patrick Sheridan - 2015

Godspell - Schwartz Arr: Barrie Gott

The Household Troops Band Of The Salvation Army BM: Carl Saunders - 2016

King's Messenger - George Lloyd

Cory Band MD: Philip Harper - 2013

Somewhere Out There from An American Tail - James Horner and Barry Mann Arr: Darrol Barry

BNFL Band MD: Richard Evans - 1994

O for a Thousand Tongues - Charles Wesley

The Manchester Chorale and St Michael's Singers with the Leyland Band MD: Russell Gray - 2006

March Lights Out - Earl McCoy Arr: Mark Bentham

Hepworth (Cookson Homes) Band MD: Mark Bentham - 2007

Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke

Closing for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010

Thank you for listening.........