Sunday Bandstand weekly brass band programme 23 December 2018

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by ChrisHelme, Dec 23, 2018.

1. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Hello Brass Banders

Well Christmas Day is just around the corner.

Best wishes for 2019 where ever you are ................ Sunday Bandstand will of course be back with a new show next week.

Thomas Koschat (8 August 1845 – 19 May 1914) was an Austrian composer and bass singer. He popularised Carinthian folk music across Europe and the Americas. Carinthia is a southern Austrian region in the eastern Alps that encompasses Austria’s highest mountain.

From 1865 to 1867 he attended the Technical University of Vienna, studying chemistry, but he did not obtain a degree. Instead his imagination was captivated by music, and he formed his first vocal quartet in 1866. He joined the Vienna State Opera in 1867, singing bass. In 1874 he joined the choir at St. Stephen's Cathedral. From 1877 until 1906 he performed with the Koschat Quintet. That year he also joined the choir at the Hofmusikkapelle and served as soloist there.

As a composer he was known for his Kärntnerlieder, folk songs of Carinthia arranged by himself, or else his own compositions set in that style. With his men's quartet and quintet, he toured Europe and the Americas, where the performances of his Carinthian music were enthusiastically received. For most of his life he resided in Vienna. Nonetheless he was made an honorary citizen of Klagenfurt in 1907 owing to the local nature of his work. Koschat died in Vienna, at his home on Strobachgasse in the 5th district, on 19 May 1914. He was buried at Annabichl near Klagenfurt.

He composed numerous pieces for choir, in addition to quartets and songs. Many of these are in waltz time and focus on Carinthian themes and locales. Additionally, he published a book of poems in the Carinthian dialect.

A museum dedicated to Koschat was opened in 1934, containing letters, manuscripts, portraits, awards, recordings, and other memorabilia related to his life and output. Heavily damaged during the Second World War, the museum was rebuilt and reopened in 1951 from funds raised through private donations and lotteries. The museum is open May through September for a couple of hours each day.

We feature one of his most famous compositions on this week’s show The Schneewaltzer (The Snow Waltz). Many bands will be performing this popular waltz as part of their Christmas concerts. Our performance features the Thoresby RJB Band MD: Stan Lippeatt - 2000

Playlist 23 December 2018
    Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke Opening for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010
    A Choral Fanfare - John Rutter arr Nynke van der Heide Brass Band De Waldsang (The Netherlands) MD: Rieks van der Velde - 2015
    O come, all ye Faithful - Wade arr: David Willcocks Fodens Courtois Band with the Halifax Choral Society and Organist Darius Battiwalla MD: John Pryce Jones - 1998
    Winter from The Four Season - Vivaldi arr: Howard Snell Brass Band de Bazuin Oenkerk (The Netherlands) MD: Klaas van der Woude - 2011
    Canzone and Caprice - Stephen Bulla Cornet Soloist Brian Taylor with the Williams Fairey Band MD: Phillip McCann - 2001
    What's Christmas Without a Brass Band - Peter Seel
    Houghton Weavers with the Warrington Male Voice Choir, Broomfield Junior School Choir and the Wingates Band MD: 1998
    The Joy of Christmas Suite 1)The Seven Joys of Mary 2) O Little Town of Bethlehem 3) Past Three O'clock' - Robert Redhead Norwich Citadel Band BM: John Gibson - 1985
    The Journey to Reims - Gioachino Rossini arr: Edward Tarling Yorkshire Building Society MD: Nicholas Childs - 1995
    Arrival of the Queen of Sheba - G. F Handel arr: Archibold Philip Jones Ensemble - 2002
    Christmas Fantasy - Gordon Langford Foden's Courtois Band with the Halifax Choral Society and Organist Darius Battiwalla MD: Dr. Nicholas Childs - 1998
    The Festive Season - Paul R. Curnow New York Staff Band (USA) BM: Ron Waiksnoris - 2006
    Schneewaltzer (The Snow Waltz) - Thomas Koschat arr: Goff Richards Thoresby RJB Band MD: Stan Lippeatt - 2000
    The Lonely Alphorn - Derek Broadbent Alphorn Soloist Ueli Hauert with the Brass Band Muhledorf (Switzerland) MD: Ernst Balli - 1987
    The Norwegian Artist's Carnival - Johan Svendsen Black Dyke Mills Band MD: Major Peter Parkes - 1981
    Dies Natalis Op 86 - John Golland Grimethorpe Colliery Band MD: Major Peter Parkes - 1997
    Christmas on King Street - Roger Davies Roger Davies with the Hepworth Band MD: Leigh baker - 2017
    Tubby The Tuba - Words by Paul Tripp- Music George Kleinsinger Arr: Andrew Duncan Tuba Soloist Gavin Woods - Narrator Thom Meredith with the Sellers International Band MD: Philip McCann - 2002
    A Disney Fantasy arr: Goff Richards Stannington Brass Band MD: Derek Renshaw - 1997
    Manhattan - Saturday Serenade - Philip Sparke Cornet Soloist Trevor Bremner with the piano accompanied by Betty Bremner - 2014
    Rejoice! (Fantasy On Old European Carols) - Alan Fernie Black Dyke Band MD: Professor Nicholas Childs - 2013
    Christmas Presence - Paul Sharman International Staff Band of the Salvation Army BM: Dr. Stephen Cobb - 2016
    Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke Closing for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010

Enjoy the show .....

2. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Hello Brass Banders - Here is what would not go in my radio show listing above as it exceeded the numbers of words available to use:

Here is something that some of our readers will be able to remember:-

Imagine a world without Computers, Mobile Phone (cell phones), Game Consoles, a world where only half of the population have a TV Set, about the same amount with Cars, a Telephone and you're somewhere near the mark of the 1950's. Then you have, for the first few years, a Nation still buying rationed food and kids who got six of the best at School if they weren't performing. It sounds centuries ago doesn't it - and for me, it feels it!

For families, Christmas time was much the same as now, except your Aunty and Uncle arrived on a Train rather than a car. Christmas Cards were sent not like now, just to make a gesture that you remember someone, but it was for many the only form of communication; a note would often be attached, and rest assured it was not the only note you received during the year.

I recall the Christmas times of the 50s as if they were only yesterday.

On Christmas Eve we would go to my Grandmother's house. We would arrive at the smell of burning logs and my Grandfathers Pipe. The walls would be decorated with only Holly and the artificial Christmas Tree stood in the corner of our best room lit by proper candles - and yes it was a busy time for the Fire Brigade at Christmas when the candles set the tree on fire.

In the evening we would sit around the Grand Piano with the Candelabra and my Grandmother would lead us all in festive music. This was fun; she had once played the Piano for the silent movies in the local fleapit - none of those multiplex cinemas in those days and she could turn her hand to pretty much anything.
    Our presents were strewn across the lid and with my sister we looked on inquisitively at the shapes wondering what we'd find the following morning.

We would venture up to bed and sit there for quite a while listening for Sleigh Bells. and yes ...of course, we always heard them,....... but looking back I have to say they did sound remarkably similar to the Door Bell into the Kitchen.

The morning would come and here starts more of the differences between now and 60 years ago. If we were very lucky, we might have got six presents that were just one each from immediate family. Through the decade, bearing in mind we didn't get older so quickly then, I'd usually get a Rupert Annual and maybe some extra bits for my Meccano Set.I recall the biggest present of all during the 50's was probably a real Box Brownie Camera.

My sister would get the usual Dolls, Girls Own Annual and other girlie things like Hair Grooming sets and pretend Cosmetics.

Some of my friends got models of farm yards, a Fort, the OK corral. If you were very luck you might have got a train set or even a bike. It - want a new one... it might have been your older brother's bike repainted and made to look like new or even one your dad got from the tip and gave that a real make over. But you had a real bike if it had 5 derailleur gears - now you're talking - put a lolly stick in the spokes and there you are racing round the estate as if you were John Surtees the 1950s four--time 500cc world champions motor cycle rider.

For weeks after, you would go to bed and neatly stack your new things next to your bed, always putting things back in boxes and in constant fear of burglars coming to pinch them.

Christmas Day has remained much the same as in the food you ate ., the big difference being that the vegetables would always come from your own Garden.

Even the Milkman called on Christmas morning and you would be quite normal for him to have a tipple at every house.

Although there was TV, it was only in the late 1950's that 'Christmas Specials' started, these being mainly imports from the USA such as the Perry Como Show and the Andy Williams.

Home grown TV included Tony Hancock and very early Six Five Specials with stars such as Lonnie Donnegan and Cliff Richard

Much to the enjoyment of my Grandfather you would get a Laurel and Hardy slot, maybe Buster Keaton and a Cartoon.

But the TV was a minor part of Christmas. Parents were usually busying themselves with domestic duties whilst the Kids immersed themselves in their new Toys and Books.

I wonder how many families now get through a Christmas Day without 24/7 TV, text messages, Instagram, some time on the PC and IPods' and all the other gadgetry there is available today!

Another factor was that Christmas did seem a special day. It didn't start in late September as it does now; it started just a few days before the event and for me that made the actual day itself not just an anti-climax to all the preparation. The only thing to start early was mum baking the Cake usually sometime in November.

Life, culture and society changes and so it should, but I guess those of any age always class their childhood Christmas's as the best ones!

Best Wishes to all my listeners whether you have been a regular over the last 11 years or you are new to this week's show...

Chris
    www.chrishelme-brighouse.org.uk

Slider1 likes this.
  3. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Thanks Slider1 -

Best Wishes for 2019

Chris

4. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

Your welcome and keep up the good work

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice