Sunday Bandstand weekly brass band programme 19 February 2017

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by ChrisHelme, Feb 20, 2017.

1. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Hello Everyone - Here is the new show dated 19 February. Something new, something old but as alwasy something for everyone to enjoy.

Bandmaster Andrew Mackereth - His earliest musical training was with the SA in Kingston-upon-Hull. In 1982 he enrolled on the Certificate in Brass Band Studies at Newcastle College of Arts & Technology, studying trombone, euphonium and tuba. Here he became interested in Jazz and made his first arrangements for brass band.
    In 1984, he attended Birmingham School of Music to study Trombone and Composition, later studying Percussion & Conducting also. In his fourth year, he won the Bernhard Brown Memorial Composition Prize and was commissioned to write a work for brass band.

Training as a teacher he was quickly promoted to Head of Music at a Secondary School in Britain.
    To date he has over 50 compositions in print; many frequently feature at SA concerts.

His first publications in the 1980s were religious songs and by 1997 his works for brass band were being published.

On this show we have one of Andrew's compositions.

Playlist 19 February 2017
    Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke Opening for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010
    The Wizard - George Allan Wingates Band MD: Paul Andrews - 2013
    Overture On God Save The Queen - Jonathan Bates Flowers Band MD: Paul Holland - 2015
    Entertainments - (1 mvt Caprice 2 mvt Elegy 3 mvt March) - Gilbert Vinter Fairey FP Band MD: Major Peter Parkes - 2006
    Capriccio - Philip Sparke Soprano Soloist Christian Hollensteiner with the Brass Band Obersterrich (Austria)MD: Hannes Buchegger - 2012
    Czardas Der Geist Des Woiwoden - Ludwick Grossman Arr: Major Peter Parkes - 1981 Black Dyke Mills Band MD: Major Peter Parkes - 1981
    Ave Maria - Anton Bruckner Arr: Kenneth Downie International Staff Band of the Salvation Army BM: Dr. Stephen Cobb - 2008
    Diadem of Gold - George Bailey Arr: Frank Wright Buy As You View Cory Band MD: Dr. Robert Childs - 2000
    Danse Macabre Variations - Benjamin Tubb Fairey Band MD: Garry Cutt - 2014
    West Side Story Suite 1) Maria; Cha-Cha 2) Scherzo 3)America - Leonard Bernstein Arr: Eric Crees London Symphony Brass MD: Eric Crees - 1991
    La Belle Americaine - John Hartmann Euphonium Soloist Glyn Williams with the Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2014
    Mosaic - Elgar Howarth Eikanger Bjorsvik Muisikklag (Norway) MD: Elgar Howarth - 2015
    Haunted Halls - Paul Lovatt-Cooper Black Dyke Band MD: Dr. Nicholas Childs - 2008
    Deux Grotesques - 1) Balletomane 2) March of the Clowns - A. Picon (Anthony Spurgin ) Arr: Dawson CWS (Manchester) Band - MD: Alex Mortimer - 1960
    Festoso - Andrew Mackereth Carlton Main Frickley Colliery Band MD: John Hinckley - 2000
    Seaside Impressions -1. Sounds Form The Promenade 3. Sandcastles - Huug Steketee Cornet Soloist Huug Steketee & Euphonium Soloist James Fieldhouse with the Hepworth (Persimmon Homes) Band MD: Mark Bentham - 2006
    Someone To Watch Over Me - George Gershwin Arr: Alan Fernie Britannia Building Society Band MD: Howard Snell - 1994
    March Lorraine - Louis Ganne Leyland Band MD: Stephen Sykes - 2003
    Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke Closing for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010

Enjoy

2. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

Wonderful to see you had Deux Grotesques in the program! In case you didn't know, Tony Spurgin took his pen name of Picon from this: Sirop de Picon - Wikipedia - he was a great francophile! Surprised to see an arranger credit on it, thought he did it himself!

3. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Hello Pauli - Thank you for your message - I was also surprised to see an arranger - the recording I had gave that but I could not find out who Dawson was. I played the piece in/or about 1963 whilst on a music course. To this day I have never heard another band play it to an audience. The notes I had said he was a great Francophile and a bit of a character and always very good company. I did know about the drink connection to Picon but thanks for the Wikipedia reference. I was involved in organising a quartet recording which included his Foursome for Brass, again another one that seems to be rarely played these days.

Thank you for your interest.

Chris