Sunday Bandstand weekly brass band programme 16 April 2017

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by ChrisHelme, Apr 16, 2017.

1. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Hello Everyone

Welcome to this week’s show with some of the best bands and soloists from around the world of brass bands.

Charles Louis Ambroise Thomas (5 August 1811 – 12 February 1896) was a French composer, best known for his operas Mignon and Hamlet and as Director of the Conservatoire de Paris from 1871 until his death.

Thomas's parents were music teachers. By the age of 10, he was already an experienced pianist and violinist. In 1828, he entered the Paris Conservatoire, while at the same time taking advanced piano lessons privately

His 1851 opera “Raymond ou Les secrets de la Reine” has long been forgotten but the overture to this opera lives on.

On this week's show we feature the William Rimmer arrangement of this rarely played overture. Searching through my own resources I can only find three other recordings. I am sure some listeners will remember playing this exciting arrangement.

A special welcome to all our new listeners particularly Roy and Pat in Leeds and Harold in Ottawa Canada who are tuning in via the world wide web for the first time ... I was chatting with the legendary cornet player Derek Garside this week. Having played one of his solos a couple of weeks a ago to celebrate his birthday. I received an email from Keith a regular listener in Hong Kong who asked to be remembered to Derek. He had happy memories being a member of the Hanwell Band back in the 1960s and being amongst the massed bands on stage when Derek was the guest soloist – a magic moment for Keith.... Derek send’s his thanks and reminded us all it is 50 years plus since those days at the Royal Albert Hall – special events for Derek and his late wife as well.

Playlist 16 April 2017
    Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke Opening for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010
    Fighting Mac - Alex Lithgow Latrobe Federal (Tasmania) Brass Band MD: Geoff Dell
    Overture for Brass Band: Henry V - Ralph Vaughan Williams Grimethorpe Colliery Band MD: Major Peter Parkes - 1998
    Song and Dance - Philip Sparke Cornet Soloist Florian Klingler with the Brass Band Froschl Hall (Austria) MD: Hannes Buchegger - 2004
    Oklahoma! - Rogers and Hammerstein Arr: Alan Catherall Sellers Engineering Band MD: Douglas Blackledge - 1990
    Suite from "The Natural" - Randy Newman Arr: Drew Fennell River City Brass Band (USA) MD: Denis Colwell - 2001
    Walk To The Paradise Garden from A Village Romeo and Juliet - Frederick Delius Arr: Chris Mowat Desford Colliery Caterpillar Band MD: James Watson - 1991
    Tone Poem - Emblems - James Curnow Southern Territorial SA Band (USA) BM: Richard E. Holz - 1990
    Raymond - Overture - Ambroise Thomas Arr: William Rimmer Sellers Engineering Band MD: Philip McCann - 1990
    Devil's Galop (Theme to Dick Barton Special Agent) - Charles Williams Royal Doulton Band MD: Edward Gray - 1978
    Begin the Beguine - Cole Porter Arr: Derek Broadbent Yorkshire Building Society Band MD: Nicholas Childs - 1995
    Morceau Symphonique Op. 88 - Alexander Guilmant Arr: Ray Steadman-Allen Trombone Soloist Nick Hudson with the Britannia Building Society Band MD: Howard Snell - 1996
    La Cucaracha, traditional Arr: Darrol Barry Euphonium Soloist Michael Howley with the Brighouse and Rastrick Band MD: Alan Morrison 2008
    King of Kings - Eric Ball Egon Virtuosi Brass BM: James Williams - 1990s
    Elfriede - George Swift Arr: Alan Catherall Euphonium Soloist Robert Childs with the Black Dyke Band MD: James Watson - 1996
    Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - Elton John Arr: Alan Fernie CWS Glasgow Band MD: Frank Renton - 1995
    Patience Selection - Arthur Sullivan Arr: Denis Wright CWS (Manchester) Band MD: Alex Mortimer - 1962
    The World Of Tomorrow - Richard Rock Hammonds Saltaire Band MD: Morgan Griffiths - 2012
    Hymn for Diana - Joseph Turrin Yorkshire Building Society Band MD: David King - 2002
    The Liberator - George Marshall Egon Virtuosi Brass BM: James Williams - 1993
    Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke Closing for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010

Enjoy

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Listeners may also be interested to know that Thomas was one of the first composers to introduce the saxophone to the orchestra, including them together with a bass saxhorn in the opera 'Hamlet' (1868).

3. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Thanks Peter - Good to hear from you. On the Mixcloud space for description and a few notes it is limited to about 250 words. So I have to be selective what I put in. I read the details of the operas including the Hamlet opera. Thanks for the information. My website I am having put together for me the radio show end of it is almost finished. It has an archived section with my shows going back well into 2014. I will be posting further details as soon as it is ready to go live.

Regards

Chris