Sunday Bandstand weekly brass band programme 14 January 2018

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by ChrisHelme, Jan 14, 2018.

1. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Hello Brass Banders - welcome to another two hours of our kind of music. Brass band music both from the past (1957) and the present. As always we have bands from many parts of the world and some extraordinary soloists straight out of the top draw.

Congratulations to all those bands that performed at Butlin's and in particular those bands which were in the prizes.

My programme is going out even further now - BAM web radio which is based in Italy and part of the BAM Music Corporation based in Switzerland. This web radio station has almost 12,000 Likes on Facebook so I have no idea how many actually tune into the station world wide but on Tuesday afternoon Sunday Bandstand will be on for the first time.

I was particularly sadden to learn that Listen to the Band has closed. I like many of you will have listen to the show for many years during Frank Renton's tenure as host. Some of you may remember tuning in as I did when Roy Newsome was the show's host. But I suppose we have to be of a certain age to remember tuning in to the days of Charlie Chester when he hosted the show. The world of the radio is changing or to be kinder we should say it is continually evolving. Frank Renton will no doubt be very busy with his many projects, but he will miss it just as the show's many listeners will.

Listeners may like to read the latest story on my website (details below) In the brass band memories section of the Sunday Bandstand tab where you will find the potted life story of the Scottish cornet legend Willie Barr. He is performing Gregor Grant's 'The Flying Scot' cornet solo on this show - a class act.

Sir Edward German (17 February 1862 – 11 November 1936) was an English musician and composer of Welsh descent, best remembered for his extensive output of incidental music for the stage and as a successor to Arthur Sullivan in the field of English comic opera.
    For the Cardiff Festival of 1904 he composed a potpourri of Welsh tunes which he titled 'Welsh Rhapsody' and closed with a rousing arrangement of that stirring tune Men of Harlech. It is this tune that has been the target of many arrangers but German's is still considered the best.
    In 1941 Denis Wright wrote a brass band selection 'Edward German Melodies' . In 1953 Denis Wright also wrote a transcription called 'Men of Harlech' (March Paraphrase).
    It is this piece which is played and closes this week's programme and is featured by the Cory Workman's Band conducted by John Harrison in a 1969 recording

Playlist 14 January 2018
    Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke Opening for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010
    Royal Standard -Paul Chesterton Arr: Harry Mortimer Munn and Felton (Footwear) Band MD: Stanley Boddington - 1957
    Egmont Overture - Beethoven Arr: Eric Ball Brodsworth Colliery Welfare and Institute Band MD: Ken Johnson - 1975
    Travelling Along - Chris Mallet Euphonium Soloist Aaron Vanderweele with the New York Staff Band(USA) BM: Ron Waiksnoris - 2003
    Pink Panther Theme - Henry Mancini Arr: Darrol Barry Foden's Courtois Band - Bryan Hurdley - 2001
    Tiger Rag - The Original Dixieland Jazz Band Trombone Soloist George Chisholm with the Royal Doulton Band MD: Ted Gray - 1980
    American Civil War Fantasy - Jerry Bilk Arr: William Himes Emley Brass Band MD: Garry Hallas - 2010
    The Old Rugged Cross - Traditional Arr: James Morrison Trumpet Soloist James Morrison (Australia) with the Black Dyke Band MD: Dr. Nicholas Childs - 2012
    Anne Of Green Gables -Norman Campbell, Don Harron & Mavor Moore Arr: Howard Cable Hannaford Street Silver Band (Canada) GMD: Howard Cable - 1996
    The Farewell Waltz - Ronald Binge Harry Mortimer and his All Star Brass MD: Harry Mortimer - 1963
    Adagio for Strings - Samuel Barber Arr: Frode Rydlands Eikanger Bjorsvik Musikklag Band (Norway) MD: Reid Gilje - 2003
    Jupiter from the Planets Suite - Gustav Holst Arr: Stephen Roberts - first performed 29.11.1918 Black Dyke Band MD: Dr. Nicholas Childs - 2008
    Flourish - Paul Sharman Trumpet Soloist Philip Cobb wit the Hendon Band of the Salvation Army BM: David Rudd - 2010
    Turris Fortissima - Steven Ponsford Enfield Citadel Band BM: Jonathon Corry - 2011
    The Music Of The Night - Andrew Lloyd Webber Black Dyke Mills Band MD: James Watson - 1998
    The Flying Scot - Gregor Grant Cornet Soloist Willie Barr with the Scottish CWS Band MD: Robert Oughton - 1967
    Bacchanale from Samson & Delilah - Saint Seans Arr: Keith Wilkinson Foden's Band MD: Bramwell Tovey - 2001
    Homage To The Noble Grape - Champagne - Hock Eb Bass Soloist Dennnis Hadfield - Funador -Goff Richards Wingates Brass Band MD: John Hudson - 1993
    Men of Harlech - Edward German Arr: Denis Wright Cory Workman's Band MD: John Harrison - 1969
    Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke Closing for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010

Enjoy

Chris
    E: bandstand@chrishelme.org.uk
    www.chrishelme-brighouse.org.uk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice