Sunday band concerts in Saddleworth have hit a sour note

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by strongbow, Jun 23, 2003.

1. strongbow

strongbow Member

I found the following article on the Chron's web pages. It is a sorry state of affairs and anyone living in the local area should back the Navigation Inn .

Oldham Evening Chronicle - Friday, 20 June, 2003

Note of discord for Sunday brass bands
    by Janice Barker

Sunday brass band concerts in Saddleworth have hit a sour note with a councillor.

Now the regular open-air events at the Navigation Inn on Wool Road could be halved after a complaint from Saddleworth East Ward Independent, Brian Mather.

Last year there was discord over an application from the pub for a public entertainment licence to hold outdoor concerts.

Oldham Licensing Committee heard that they had been held on the pub car park for a number of years without a licence.

Despite hearing from some residents who said their privacy was being affected and the noise meant they could not open windows in the summer, councillors agreed to allow bands to play for two hours every Sunday. The committee will be asked on Tuesday to renew the licence, but with conditions that brass bands play only on two Sundays every calendar month from May to September.

And the recommendation is that at least five days’ notice must be given to residents and the council’s environmental services department.

This year there have been two letters of support from a local family and a couple in Huddersfield — but one objection from Councillor Mather, who lives near by in Uppermill.

He wrote: “I understand at the original application that the committee was told the music would be quiet hymn tunes.

“This is not the case as I can hear the blast 400 metres away in my house, let alone the properties next to the car park.

“The car parking congestion is becoming a great problem for residents on Sundays.”

He added: “One or two a month is more than enough of this type of Sunday entertainment — or take it indoors.”

A report to councillors suggests allowing two concerts every month.

It adds: “Although many people enjoy listening to brass band music, this does not apply to the whole population.”
  2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if I could apply this same logic to the noise from next door's kids.
    Although many people enjoy listening to the screaming and shouting of kids as they run amok, this does not apply to the whole population, and I request that children be kept inside on summer evenings, as I can't open my windows..

3. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

what about anyone who lives near a club where the music is 6 days a week and indoors, but is so loud that half the road can hear it very well.
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think the whole question of "noise pollution" is going to be a major factor in the coming years. There have been numerous instances recently where townsfolk have moved to the country and raised objections to such things as livestock noises, such as cockerels crowing, clocks chiming or church bells ringing, even when these have been in existence for decades or more, and are accepted by most people as part and parcel of country life.

When we were going through the planning application for our new hall at Hadleigh there were one or two objections made over noise levels, and I understand that under forthcoming building regulations double or even triple glazing will be required for any new buildings where loud music is likely to be played. As it is, our planned double-glazing and air-conditioning was dropped due to financial cionsiderations, but we are only able to open certain of our windows when services are taking place for fear of causing a disturbance.

The biggest concern seems to be that it only takes a few objectors to scupper the enjoyment of the majority, and there may be a lot of canvassing needed to mobilise the pro vote.
  5. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

he shouldnt live in bloody uppermill then should he..
    i bet he starts the whit friday riots there...
  6. Colin K

Colin K Member

doesn't this crop up annually? I seem to remember signing a petition a few years back to keep the concerts.
  7. horn1

horn1 Member

And he's been blaming us Uppermill regulars all this time!!! :?

I'm pretty sure this does crop up every year. It's nothing but sour grapes, if he thought about it properly he'd realise that the concerts are bringing in trade to the area plus a good reputation for live enternainment.
  8. blondie

blondie Member

Not knowing the area, after reading your posts I think this'COUNCILLOR' is a prat!!!! He just wants to be seen to be doing any amount of good for his existing minor electoral roll, no matter what the cost :evil:

O.K, so some residents nearby might object once in a while, but even limiting performances to twice a month surely can't hurt. Not for a couple of hours entertainment for the rest of the populus. Why does somebody always have to be a fly in the ointment?????

You never know once they get used to it they might like it, or if they decide to revoke the licence they also might find that they miss the 'blasting from 400 metres away'!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:
  9. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

Obviously this local councilloe must move away from his beloved Uppermill every weekend. I have dared to venture there on a few occassions, just to stop the beer going bad and he should concentrate on the Dib Dob's who week after week cuase trouble and strife for the locals, 12 months a year..
  10. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

A few years ago the band I was playing in was thrown out of our local shopping centre. We'd been asked to play carols for people doing their Christmas shopping but a nearby travel agent complained that we were to loud and were upsetting their customers