Summertime arrangement

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Imperial, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Imperial

Imperial Member

My brass tentet is heading to perform Gershwins "summertime" on a concert this summer.
    Does anybody know of a good arrangement of that piece for such an ensemble?

(or is anybody willing to arrange it for us? in that case we would like to have some written solo passages, a passage of vocal solo, and maybe also parts for drums, guitar, electric bass, piano)

2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

George Gershwin's music is still in copyright, so if you do decide to arrange, don't forget to seek permission first!

3. Imperial

Imperial Member

good point...
  4. lewis

lewis Member

Urm! If you want an arrangement for a full rhythm section and vocal then surely the brass parts just become an extra feature. I've played summertime that has been aranged for quintet and trombone quartet and they work really well I'm sure a gerat arrangement could be done for a 10 piece without the need of a rhythm section.

Also, I think most people check that music has been written before they put it into their programs for concerts ;-)
  5. Imperial

Imperial Member

which arrangement was the quintet arrangement?

Yes, maybe it was a bit irregular to decide a piece we haven't bought yet:)

I also agree with that it might take the focus from the brass if you put up a full rythm section.
    but precussion would be nice anyway.

but anyway we decided that we maybe will do this piece on just a quintet.
    so if any of you guys have any quintet recommendations please tell me!

I just seem to find "summertime" as part of a larger selections of "Porgy & Bess"
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just Music lists two ten-piece arrangements of "Summertime", one, by Derek Ashmore, features sop/Eb trumpet, and the other, arranged by Hopkinson, features Eb horn.
  7. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

Available from Dick Wuopio's Solid Brass Website:

We performed a brass band arrangement with Eb Soprano Solo arranged by C. Bolton and E. Banks, published by Gershwin Publishing. Our soprano cornet, Guy Clark, played a gorgeous solo.
  8. Les Wood

Les Wood Member

There is a superb arrangement for full band and trumpet soloist by Adrian Drover which might be able to be adapted for 10 piece.

You can hear this on Kirkintilloch's forthcoming new CD (only recorded last weekend!) with a great solo performance from Dave Prentice.

Les Wood
  9. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

Correction: The arrangement was by Howard Snell, published by Rakeway Music.