"Summer" weather?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by barrytone, Jul 15, 2007.

1. barrytone

barrytone Member

Just wondering how many bands have had events cancelled due to the appauling weather we're having. We've had our concert cancelled today, weather seemed fine up to an hour before we were due to play then began raining heavily and over two hours later it's still raining.

Local outdoor events have been cancelled, such as the local gala and I have competed at two march contests this year and got soaking wet at both.

Has the adverse weather affected planned outdoor concerts and events for many bands?
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

It's awful - we had a nice period of lovely weather back in April and have had nothing since. I can't wait for my holiday in three weeks time...
  3. stopher

stopher Member

We haven;t cancelled our gigs unfortunatley. The new waterproof jackets we got for carrolling are proving to be really useful. think we might purchase wetsuits soon though as our new summer uniform! Would have been really good two weeks ago when we were playing for a charity walk wit no shelter and it threw it down!!!!
  4. MissBraz

MissBraz Member

we have not had any cancelled!! We have had to do the sodding things in the rain! As they said they would not give us the money!!! :eek:
  5. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I've not had any cancelled, the boyfriend came home early today tho cos the bad weather meant they couldn't carry on! He's now drying off!
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Ours was almost cancelled today, but the drizzle stopped so we decided to do a short programme - in the end we ended up doing the full job as the rain held off, but there was nobody there to listen (literally to start with and I suppose about 20 people at the end). I've got to say I wasn't looking forward to the job anyway as we had loads missing (first week of the school hols here in Leicester) and I'd spent every night this week on the phone trying to get enough deps together to allow us to play even the simplest music. I did - just, but needless to say the band sounded like it had only just been put together (which it had) and to top it all I played like a prat throughout. :mad:

Makes you wonder why we bother sometimes...
  7. barrytone

barrytone Member

Several of our band officials worked hard all week to fill gaps in the band due to holidays/work etc. and then the job was called off due to the heavy rain, and it's still raining now. Can't believe that in the middle of summer the weather can be so terrible and totally unpredictable. So glad that I aren't responsible for planning any outdoor events, would be so worried that the weather would spoil anything planned.
  8. agentorange

agentorange Member

Ours was cancelled today too. Wasn't best pleased as i'd been working nights last night, so i'd only had about 4 hours sleep. I could've stayed in bed if i'd have known earlier!!
  9. pdj

pdj Member

I was one of the deps for barrytones band, shame it was concelled cos i was looking forward to it, but ya carnt do owt bout the weather. I then went on to help my sisters band out (Markham Main) as their concert went indoors so atleast i did get to play on Sunday!!
  10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

A job two weekends ago was transferred from an outside venue to a school - unfortunately everything was set up inside except the band. We played for 30mins in drizzle (kept music in a plastic folders) had a 30 minute break to see what would happen - rained worse so we packed up and got paid.

I had to cancel a KSB job in Nottingham because of shortage of numbers and then was able to do a BBSBB job at Doncaster which was cancelled before we got there due to a severe weather forecast.

Only one more "summer" job for KSB and one for BBSBB - they are in August so let's hope it gets better by then.
  11. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Pitty you Kelly, Garry's bad enough but a wet Garry..............noooooo.

We've cancelled one gig, it was indoors but no one could get near!
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  12. davidsait

davidsait Member

After constant rain yesterday in Leamington Spa, the rain held off for almost exactly the duration of the gig I was depping for....
  13. marc71178

marc71178 Member

You were lucky then.

A few weeks back we had rain there so had to play in the Greenhouse - an experience I wouldn't recommend to anybody!
  14. Bungle

Bungle Member

We had our concert at Deal Bandstand on 24th June cancelled before we set off due to rain, which was handy as it is about 160 mile round trip for me. As it is run by a charity I don't know if we will get any money though. The strange thing is we only found out we were doing the job when we appeared on their posters!
  15. Mephi

Mephi Member

Can't complain about the weekend weather coz I was depping with Marsden (Madsden is more appropriate!) at Durham Miners Gala and came home with 3rd degree sunburn on my boat-race! Already been up there on wednesday doing the acid brass gig with Faireys and it was the same, crackin the flags! Everyone back in Saddleworth thought i'd either been on a sunbed and fallen asleep or been skiing! Fools should have known i wouldn't have been safe doing either of them! Feel sorry for you lot that got drenched, I could have done with the rain to cool my head down, then again being Mephistopheles I should be used to the heat!!
  16. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

:) hee hee, it was bearable! but only because it was a good excuse to go out for tea!
  17. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

Wish our sunday job had been cancelled - while we were on a bandstand and so undercover, our audience was not so lucky. After putting up with an hour and a half of downpour, she (the band secretary!) finally decided to call it a day and went and got a boat to get us off the bandstand! Peasholme Park, Scarborough does not attract audiences in the rain!
  18. The Blonde

The Blonde Member

Hope the sunburn is getting better. Several pretty bad cases amongst Reg Vardy too :mad:
  19. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

We have had 1 concert every year called brass on the grass which was ment to be last month! Got cancelled due to rain! Was ment to have last week got cancelled again! So now we are having it in septemeber! Because "appartenly" lol the weather is going to be better!
  20. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

The weather looks pretty fine in Cornwall at the moment!! I'm looking on the webcam over Mounts Bay, and I wish I was there! Gorgeous.