Summer school for oldies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by listerbo, Feb 20, 2014.

1. listerbo

listerbo Member

Can anyone suggest a good brass band summer school for mixed age groups? I am not so interested in individual tuition or master-class type stuff, more in getting together and playing some good music around my level (Grade 7). All of this without needing a mortgage. Would welcome any suggestions. Thanks! :clap:
  2. kierendinno

kierendinno Member

3. listerbo

listerbo Member

Thanks a lot - I had actually taken a look at this and it seemed just about right for us! :)
  4. fartycat

fartycat Member

5. listerbo

listerbo Member

Well thanks, I will bear it in mind for another year....have never been to Dorset! :)
  6. bigsound

bigsound Member

The International Brass Band Summer School is brill, great tutors and conductor, lots of performance opportunities with some free time by the sea in Swansea! Contact for more information - dates for 2014 are 3rd to 9th August
  7. dcm6000

dcm6000 New Member

I can recommend Bolsover. I've been the last two years. My son (will be 14 this year) went two years ago, had to give last year a miss (due to NCBBGB clash) but is going again with me this year. The tutors are great, the facilities at Heritage school are really good, excellent food and several concerts during the week at different local venues (Hardwick Hall, Creswell Crags etc) as well as the end-of-course concert. Accommodation is at a local IBIS and there's a Costa, McD's KFC and a pub on the same site (although you'll probably only need the pub!). I can't comment on the accommodation as I only live ten minutes away so just jump in the car. If you're bringing non-players, you're a stones thrown from Chesterfield, Worksop and Clumber Park, Sheffield and some great places in the PeakDistrict as well as shopping venues like Meadowhall (if you're THAT desperate!)

I think (could be wrong) that Carole's got a piece commissioned from Philip Sparkes this year (last year it was Paul Sharman and the previous year we had a new piece from Kenneth Downie).

Feel free to contact me off-forum if you have any other questions (
  8. nethers

nethers Active Member

I can recommend the Wessex course, top quality conductors and teachers, very reasonably priced and fantastic inclusive atmosphere.