Summer Concert Programmes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cherrybassett, Mar 22, 2005.

1. cherrybassett

cherrybassett Member

Summer is fast approaching and the constant rounds of summer concerts will be upon us. What will you be playing on your concerts?

We need fresh ideas before we start playing what we have played for the last couple of years.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Summer Concert Programmes Summer
    constant rounds of summer concerts
    couple of years
    us
    ideas
  3. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I always ask the band for ideas and have a look what new music is available. I have also bought some 2nd hand music off ebay and from a guy at jpbrass who sells stuff for a fiver a time!;)

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think there are alot of bands that might GIVE you Variations for Brass Band or Tam O'Shanter for FREE ;)

5. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

we've been looking at cartoon classics, an andrew duncan arrangement, with greenalls. probably one of the hardest pieces we'll play. we're also probably gonna do king louis' song from the jungle book, good bass trom solo.

can i advise against arrangements of recent pop stuff? things like "eternal flame" (yes okay the bangles version wasnt recent but it has been redone), "millenium" and so on - the ranges are a bit hard considering how boring the piece ends up sounding. in the case of millenium, the euphs begin the descant part on a top b, and later it modulates giving us a lovely top c start - or was it c sharp? i wasn't exactly keen to remember it ;)
    so yeah, i'm not impressed with a lot of new pop stuff - maybe it takes top section bands to really bring out the musicality there.

moan over.
    yknow it seems to me that bands in the same area tend to play the same kind of stuff - maybe you should just swap with someone in a different region? ;)

i'll post again when i know more about our program music. unless my md decides i'm giving away too much :)
    xx

6. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Have you looked for new, fresh ideas HERE

;)

7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I agree with not using new pop arrangements as they are usually not very good. However, one in particular springs to mind and that is "Amarillo". It's a track that has matured over time and would now appeal to a wide spectrum of audience. There must be a good arrangement of it somewhere.

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

A great 'fun' piece that I'd reccommend is Rogers "Do Re Me...." very, very good for a concert item. Will get the audience clapping...

9. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Or HERE

I'll wholeheartedly agree with that - I've just ordered it!!!!

10. cherrybassett

cherrybassett Member

Thanks for all the suggestions and shortcuts to websites that will give me something to trawl through this weekend.

11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We've just started rehearsing a couple of good pieces:

Serenata - Leroy Anderson arr. Freeh. Belting piece, but tricky in places if its played up to the correct tempo marking ;)

Take Five - arr Sykes (Steve not Eric..) Decent arragement of the Dave Brubeck piece. 5/4 is great for confusing bass players...

Caravan - Duke Ellington arr Feeh (again?) We played it once - made a real mess of it and its never been seen since :oops: but I've heard it played properly and its great...:biggrin:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Summer Concert Programmes Summer
    constant rounds of summer concerts
    couple of years
    us
    ideas
  13. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

Or you could try www.crabtree-music.co.uk

Warner also have some great new arrangements coming out (Mary Poppins, The Typewriter, De-Lovely etc.). All should be playable by 3rd section plus with the aid of easier 'ossias' and optional cuts. The 2005 demo should be available now or pm me your address and I'll pop one in the post.

14. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

And please have a look here. Many of our pieces were composed or arranged for 3rd/4th section bands and all have been tested by bands to (hopefully) eliminate mistakes. You can view and hear scores on the website prior to ordering to assess their suitability for your band.

Cheers

D

15. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Sorry Straightmute, the Scorch data does not want to load properly from The Dragon Music website...

Alanl58

16. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

It works for me - are you using the latest version of Scorch?

Cheers
    D

17. lister89

lister89 Member

Look at Crescentmusic.co.uk I'm sure you would find something good and original on there

18. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Great minds hey - we've got Caravan out and have just ordered Serenata - heard it on the most recent Warner/IMP CD sampler. Also we've ordered Queen Rules and Parade of the Charioteers (Ben Hur film music). Take Five is also a great piece but even more confusing for the basses is Dave Brubeck's Unsquare dance (7/4)

19. ju33les

ju33les Member

....or you could have a look at www.tpmusic.co.uk for some popular arrangements.

p.s
    have to agree about Roger's Do-Re-Mi too ;)