Summer Break

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sudcornet, Aug 15, 2003.

Does your band have a summer break?

1. Yes, more than 2 weeks.

2. Yes, just a fortnight.

3. Nope, we just keep rolling along.

1. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Does your band have a summer break? We've had over 4 weeks this year and I've helped out with 4 different bands 'cos I like doing it and to keep my lip in. But what does everyone else do over summer break?

PS. Yes I am so sad I'd rather not have so long a break and can't wait to get back to some serious rehearsal.
  2. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Sorry mate, the 4 weeks break was partly my doing. Call it a leaving present!

Bet you can't wait to get back to Rothwell and get your teeth into the Open test piece. Might see you in Birmingham (if not before), but not if you get a late draw.

3. jo

jo Member

4 doesnt seem that long...can we have another fortnight? I havent managed to fit my holiday in yet! 8)
  4. tubatu

tubatu Member

My band has never had a break, summer or otherwise.
    I always thought that Summer was the busiest period for bands, what with all the fete's and shows that are going on.
  5. HBB

HBB Active Member

Tell me about it ...

... our band's had an engagement nearly every week from June, I'm knackered! :D
  6. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Most top section bands who don't do marches/fetes etc. have a summer break of some sort, mainly due to having plenty of gigs the rest of the year. We had 5 weeks off this year, but we usually get plenty missing the two weeks either side of the break due to holidays etc.

Rehearsing over summer with half a band is unproductive, and its good to have a break! Mind you I think I notched up 6 gigs during our summer break anyway :?

Normally I'd be on tour with Young Lancashire Brass in summer, but I missed their tour to Holland this year due to starting work the week before :cry:
  7. blondie

blondie Member

No we don't have a break either. However we also don't do any engagements in August, because of peoples family/holiday commitments.
    We just have slightly less attendance, and even more fun, just blowing through music purely for entertainment purposes.
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We normally cancel practices during the month of August, and don't usually plan any Open Air activity during that period.

The band continues to be on duty for Sunday services, with any bandsmen who are around Sunday mornings helping out the Young People's Band, who normally play on their own the rest of the year.

So far, we've had a reasonable instrumentation, although one or two have switched instruments to cover where necessary, and the choice of music may need to be left until the day. We usually have a holiday chart up, but having recently moved into our new hall we've not got one this summer, making it less predictable than usual.
  9. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

I think Hepworth and Imps have both had about 4 weeks off and I can honestly say me and Lee have done nowt! Although I do practise I'll let you see Nigel how much you think Lee's been practising!

10. picju96

picju96 Member

We did last year, 6 weeks, then found that noone was in practice when we came back, which sort of affected our performance at Pontins, so we tried not to this year, but have anyway due to exam results days (this week and next). It's a sort of unofficial break. We're still doing the gigs in the park though, 5 this year which is a lot.
  11. timbloke

timbloke Member

Dronfield always went down to a ten piece over the summer with whoever turned up. but this we're doing one normal rehearsal a week. That said I am playing for 4 bands at the moment each of whom are rehearsing so i'm busier than ever, at least 5 nights a week!! i think that makes me a bit sad too eh? :hammer
  12. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

I think most lower section bands can't afford to have a break during the summer, as that's the time of year when the 'coffers' can be swelled considerably. If we ever had a break, it was always at the end of the summer around September time and even then it's usually only been for a week or two!
  13. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Ditto at Canton apart from the holiday list.
  14. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Yes. :D
  15. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

We usually have a break - buit becasue of our germany trip next week were playing through
  16. Matt Griffith

Matt Griffith New Member

We have 4 weeks off for August to allow for family orientated bods to go on holiday. Then it's full steam ahead with several concerts and contests coming up! Not forgetting our 1st and 2nd horn players marrying each other in september which they have been brave enough to allow the band to paly at.
  17. groovy

groovy Active Member

We just keep going through the summer as normal, we've been booked up for just about every weekend, as well as tour. :D
  18. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

we have a break of about 5, 6 weeks with no gigs in that period but I usually practice each day to keep my lip in. Just come back from a very short concert tonight which was in honour of our band president who was presented with his 50 year service medal to brass banding. was a really good night for the old guy, with representatives there from surrounding bands and the Scottish Brass Band Association.
  19. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

We normally cancel practices during the month of August, and don't usually plan any Open Air activity during that period. .......

You're very lucky there Peter.

At Sheringham SA, they have open air at 10am, meeting at 11am, open air 2pm, open air 5:30pm, meeting 6pm, then a late night open air on the seafront at 7:30pm.

No wonder my dad says I don't know I'm born when I moan about a 2 hour concert on a sunny afternoon.

Slightly off topic, do you remember Alex and Maggie Hyndman Cantonian?
  20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I have nothing but admiration for bands at places such as Sheringham who keep such a full programme going, even though their numbers are not great.

We spent an excellent weekend there a couple of years ago, sharing in the full programme on the Sunday, and the crowds gathering for the session by the harbour wall on Sunday evening were quite large. They appreciated the fact that we stayed right through as I gather some bands had departed after the evening meeting, leaving them to do the seafront session on their own!