Suitable Music for Intermediate-level Band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by adamcable, Jan 22, 2007.

1. adamcable

adamcable New Member

Hi All,

I'm Adam, and bandleader of Martlesham Brass' Intermediate Band.

I've luckily just been allocated some money to spend on new music, and am desperately trying to find some work suitable.

The band comprises of players from Grade 3-5, and enjoy playing pieces like Memory, Shepherd's Song, Tragedy, London River, etc.

I come from an Orchestral background, so am wondering if we're missing any Brass Band classics suitable? Our library list is here (there may be gems here that I'm unaware of!).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  2. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

just a few of the sort of standard you are looking for from your own lists:
    African Funk
    Beauty and the Beast
    Choral & Rockout
    Colonel Bogey
    Drummers Delight
    Fanfare and Soliloquy
    Hawaiian Hoe Down
    Hustle, The
    Hymn to the Fallen
    Jamaican Rumba
    Love Changes Everything
    Lord of the Rings
    Mood Indigo
    One Voice
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Watching the Wheat
  3. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Visit the Bernaerts catalogue, there is plenty of stuff there including a large young band catalogue.

4. adamcable

adamcable New Member

Thanks for the prompt responses, they're most welcome.

5. Hi Adam,

Here are a few suggestions from our catalogue that are of a suitable standard for any band...

Be Thou My Vision
    Arr. Stephen Tighe

This famous traditional Irish melody has been arranged and described as “Three verse variations”. Building up from the beginning to a huge climax at E where the whole band explodes into the gorgeous theme. Sure your make the hairs on your neck rise!

Full score & parts: £17.95

Be Still
    By David J. Evans

Arranged and dedicated to those who lost their lives in London, July 7th 2005. This really is one of the most gorgeous melodies you will ever hear. Marked “Molto Cantabile” and “With great feeling” throughout, a heart-warming hymn tune to be enjoy by all who play, and all who hear it. Playable by most levels of bands.

Full score & parts: £17.95

A Gaelic Blessing
    By John Rutter

John Rutter, born in 1945, has become a favorite amongst all sacred music lovers. His anthems and Christmas pieces all have a rich melodic base, and this piece is no exception. Alternatively known as Deep Peace, the gentle nature of both the words and melody have made this piece a firm favourite at christenings, weddings and funerals.

Full score & parts: £15.95

Home Away From Home
    By Phil Coulter

This gorgeous melody has been made famous by the virtuoso flautist James Galway, popularised on Classic FM and now arranged for brass band with a solo cornet taking the starring role. A perfect concert item, such a simple melody, but heart warming and playable by most bands.

Sale Price: £17.95

Albion Treasures
    Arr. Gavin Somerset

A stunning hymn-like medley that takes you on a trip around the British Isles. Starting in Scotland with "Highland Cathedral" which continues to make appearances thoughout, and then into "Amazing Grace" whilst "Danny Boy" (Londonderry Air)" flows underneith. Whilst "Danny Boy" continues to build, "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" is heard ringing over the top as the piece builds to its emotional climax. Afterwards, a quiet calm of all the pieces skillfully woven together softly flow whilst the tune to Parry's "Dear Lord & Father Of Mankind (Repton)" leaves us with a delicate, soft finish to the journey.

Sale Price: £19.95

For more details on these pieces and to see/hear these new releases as well as the rest of our catalogue, please visit our web-site at where you can order online or e-mail to
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Have to say i've been looking for this sort of music for our youth band, and somebody sugested Bernaerts site. just order a "few" pieces now:biggrin:

also take a look at this tmp page.

we recieved this music before christmas, and are starting to get it out now. There's some really good arrangments there.

Have you also had a look at Roger Thorne's site? he has a few pieces that the youth band play out on his site.

You could aso try your local school. I'm very lucky in that we have a school for the performing arts in Telford, and the head of music has been very helpfull, infact he let me have a few pieces to try out.

hope you find something, there's nothing better than to hear the youth band out and about performing, and the more bands there are, the easier it should be to get hold of new arrangements.

Take care.
  7. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

I'd recommend Bernaerts too - i have recently used some of the young band series for my wind band and they are very good. Also, if you buys direct from the website before the end of january they have a buy 2 get 1 free offer on. pretty quick with delivery too - quicker than my order from justmusic in fact!
  8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Cubbington Ear Biters from Nigel Horne is pretty good for juniors - intermediates. I'm one of NJH Music's UK distributors, so this is available from me.....;) It's described in the catalogue as an "Easy March"

TIMBONE Active Member

Hi Adam

A lot of my brass band music is written to be accessible to the lower/mixed ability, especially the lighter and more traditional stuff - "Presley in Mind" for example, (not "No.2" which you already have). The main thing is that I always cue any exposed sections which may be on an instrument that is missing, or where the player needs backup, for example, exposed 2nd Horn parts are cued onto 1st Baritone or 1st Trombone. If there is anything in my catalogue which appeals to you, and you want to know if it is playable by a band of intermediate level, by all means PM or email me. Thanks.

10. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I must admit i saw that buy 2 get one free thing but didnt realise it included the young band stuff! On the website it just states price code 5 and below if this includes the young band which seems to be priced slightly differently ie YB5 then it looks as if i've got even more money to spend!!!! Damn this spending lark is tough!!!!!

Sorry Tim i should have thought to say about your music aswell:oops:
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2007