Suggestions Welcome :: What can I arrange?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MrsDoyle, May 30, 2009.

1. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Hi All,

I'm looking to arrange a new piece but don't know what to choose... does anyone have a suggestion for a hymn tune or an out-of-copyright tune to arrange?

All suggestions welcome...

2. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

How do you fancy trying your hand at something a little bit different? I have a recording of a piece of music that is used for latin dancing and reckon it would make the most awesome solo... Copyright etc would be the main issue but I could let you know the piece - PM me. Don't think it'd be that tricky to arrange - but I'm not an arranger! ;)

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I always keep an eye open for composers that are just coming out of copyright (i.e. died more than 70 years before the 1st of Jan this year). A selection of those that have emerged in the last few years, some of whose music could bear conversion to band:
    Maurice Ravel (d. 1937)
    George Gershwin (d. 1937)
    Louise Vierne (d. 1937)
    Charles-Marie Widor (d. 1937)
    Edward Elgar (d. 1934)
    Gustav Holst (d. 1934)
    Frederick Delius (d. 1934)
    Leos Janacek (d. 1928 )

I think the next big one to look out for is Sergei Rachmaninoff (d. 1943), who will thus come out of UK copyright in 2014.

You could do a lot worse than get hold of a book of Widor's Organ symphonies, and pick out a movement that you like. Some of these could be awesome for band.

4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I'd double check that the composers estate do not have any extended copyright on the music, as is sometimes the case.
    Dave, do you have a scheduler on your computer, with alerts telling you what composers are 70 years dead on what days, so you can get in there quick with new arrangements.. :)

5. MrsDoyle

Thanks for the advice everyone.

6. toptutti

toptutti Member

Glenn Miller? You did say you didn't like the last arrangement :tongue:

7. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

I've always really liked Lloyd (number 43 in the hymn book!) but as far as I know I don't think there's a concert arrangement out there for it. I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong!

8. David Mann

David Mann Member

Unless you're only arranging as a technical exercise or for money, you should pick something you really like - you'll be spending a lot of time with it.

9. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

I am that someone missrepiano! Bramwell Coles has done an arrangement of Lloyd for the Salvation Army journals! Nice tune though! the first tune I ever learnt to play on a cornet! A week later I was handed a tuba! Some people have no taste!!

How about a new arrangement of the tune Slane?

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There are a few recent arrangements of "Slane" around, but not always under that title.

Leigh-Baker's setting "Slane" appears on the cd Baritones to the Fore, there is a James Curnow version under "Be thou my vision", and the Kenneth Downie arrangement is entitled "Lord of all hopefulness", to mention but three ;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    hymn tune
    copyright tune
    new piece
    Suggestions
  12. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

Yeah Im aware of all those arrangements! Lord of all hopefulness is a real favorite of mine (the ISB even recorded it on the St Magnus CD! But a NEW arrangement of it would be welcome im sure. The tune alone is so well crafted that you will never tire of new innovative ways of using it in an arrangement!

13. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

My Hope Variations are based on "Slane" -- published in 1980 in the SA Festival Series No. 403.

14. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I've always thought that the hymn tune All Through The Night would be well suited to an arrangement that could incorporate a cascading treatment of the tune. I can hear it in my head but wouldn't have a clue about putting it on paper unfortunately.

Thanks for the reminder about Hope Variations Brian. I haven't heard that in some time but will correct that this weekend.

15. MrsDoyle

I think I will have a go at Finlandia Hymn...

any thoughts?

16. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Beware, this tune is still copyright. Sibelius, who wrote the melody, died in 1957.

17. MrsDoyle

Thanks for that.

Any other ideas?

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You could have a look at archived sheet music that is in the Public Domain ... such as this collection here selected by Benjamin Tubb (not HBB, btw!).

19. MrsDoyle

Thanks.