Suggestions wanted for Flugel solos.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rapier, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

As thread title, solos for flugel that use the instrument and not cornet solos that can be played on a flugel, if you get my meaning. :tup
  2. RossAB

RossAB Member

Emerald Skies by Paul Lovatt-Cooper is a lovely solo, although written for either Cornet or Flugel.
  3. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

'Postcard From Luthermuir' written by Kevin Birch - it's a beautiful solo for Bb instrument, both with band and piano accompaniment. If it's good enough for Helen Williams to record on the latest Fodens Patrons Choice V then I reckon it's good enough to be classed as a flugel solo. :D
  4. euph77

euph77 Member

Children of Sanchez (Chuck Mangione) is particularly good, especially with all the choreography.
  5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Thanks people, some nice ones so far. Gareth that thread didn't come up using search function.
  7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

... that's technology for you.
  8. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Is there a BB version?
  9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

There is, however I don't know if it is published ...
  10. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

It is - or it was, but as it was part of the now defunct Warner Brothers catalogue I don't think its currently in print. Well it wasn't the last time I looked anyway. Shame as its a cracker!

A couple of other suggestions:

Over the Rainbow (arr. Farr)
    Laura (arr. Freeh)

At Butlins I heard a great arrangement of the Randy Newman song 'When She Loved Me'. It was gorgeous, but I didn't catch who arranged it.
  12. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Not Over the Rainbow. Had enough of that when on horn.
  13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Of course, by far the best suggestion would be:

Save up some pennies (or get some kind of local arts association grant, or something ... ), decide what sort of thing you're really after (original composition, arrangement, style, length, etc., etc., ... ), then find a willing/tame composer/arranger and commision them to write something bespoke.
  14. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Is there such a thing as a "tame" composer? :D
  15. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

That said, Rapier old bean, if you give me 26p, two Mars Bars, a sick bag ('cos I don't like Mars Bars), the 2011 Wisden Cricketers's Almanack, two bags of sugar, two reams of silk, and a pack of 100g paper, I'll send you one of mine. :D We ex-Harlowites must stick together.
  16. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

If you are looking for something a 'bit different', go to my web site and print off the solo part for the Beethoven Melody in F. I have arranged it for cornet or flugel, with band accompaniment.

It's quite demanding, but I am sure you will cope with it.
  17. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

See, not a tame composer, but one that is very domesticated.
    Thanks Will.

And I hope that top B is with a bit of a run up.
  18. Cornet

Cornet New Member

I know it's a bit early in the year, however Peter Graham's Away In A Manger is very nice!
  19. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Had a look, not in a million years. :cool:

And it's not really in the best range for a flugel.

For flugel I'd want something slow and lyrical, that will bring a tear to the eye of granny sitting in the park. Something that shows the unique flugel sound. To me any part that says 'Cornet or flugel', means cornet.

And any 'Finger flinging' solos usually impress other players, but leave most people in the audience cold.
  20. welsh_tenor

welsh_tenor Member

Phil Harper's arrangement of Faith is brilliant. Challening for the soloist and interesting for the band too!