Suggestions please - music reflecting different countries

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by englishgill, Apr 28, 2006.

1. englishgill

englishgill Member

Hi All,

sorry for blatantly exploiting your ideas, but later in the year the two bands I play in are joining forces with a band from Switzerland for a concert and would like to cover 'music from around the world'. We've been asked for ideas for massed band pieces and also pieces for individual bands bearing in mind the different standards of the bands (1st section and 3rd section or 4th section if there is one!!)

Massed band pieces will need to be ok for ca 80 players to bash through - sensitively of course!!

As we have a few Kiwis in the band we are particularly keen to feature a traditional New Zealand piece. So over to you - all ideas welcome!!

Many thanks

2. Harold.Wells

Harold.Wells Active Member

Many years ago I remember the SA band I was playing with at the time featuring a piece that was written around an upbeat hymn tune.

The tune (can remember how it goes but can't remember it's name right now) was arranged in the 'styles' of several countries of the world. It can be played straight through, or as we did, with short spoken introductions to the different countries in between the 'movements'.

From what I remember, it's a reasonably easy piece to play and may be a good way to either start or finish your programme with massed bands.

The exact title and arranger of the music escapes me - the memory's not as good as it was! - but it's something like "Around the World" or "All Around the World".

SP&S should be able to track it down for you (Festival Series).
  3. Harold.Wells

Harold.Wells Active Member

Been racking my brain - I think that the tune that was used in the arrangement is an SA hymn tune called "Gird on the Armour".
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

For NZ stuff we are currently playing a Peter Graham arrangement of the traditional Maori hymn "Hine Hine"

For Scotland there are plenty ranging from Sparkes "Hymn of the Highlands" to Alan Fernies "Jings", which is a better arrangement of Scottish folk songs than the oft used "Skirl".
  5. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Stating the obvious here (but somebody has to):

You could try movements from Day of the Dragon (Wales), Anglian Dances (England), Four Scottish Dances (err...Scotland).

Can't think of any more off the top of my head - so this was probably a completely unnecessary post!

Good luck with the search and the concert.
  6. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

James Cook, Circumnavigator.

Land of the Long White Cloud.

The Canadian.

Canadian Folk Song Suite.

The Sound of Britain.

Variations on Wellington City - Kiwipausone have I got that one right?

New Zealand Warriors; Wellington Citadel (Two old SA marches linked with NZ)
  7. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

"Jings" isn't published though, John - I'm not even sure it's legal - and it isn't likely to be published. I don't think it is better than "Skirl" - you can play "Skirl" with half a band, whereas my stuff usually needs everyone to be there! - but thanks anyway! I've actually written the follow up to "Jings", which is of course called "Crivvens", and will complete the trilogy sometime soon with what else but "Help ma Boab".
    As regards the "round the world" thing, there are masses of options;
    Wales - Men of Harlech, All Through the Night
    England - Greensleeves, Jerusalem
    Ireland - The Minstrel Boy,Carrickfergus
    France - Shepherd's Song Spain - Spanish Gypsy Dance, the mighty "Amporita Roca"
    Switzerland - tons of stuff in the Obrasso/Frank catalogues
    Italy - La Danza, any operatic stuff
    America - the list is endless!!!
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Wales: Norman Bearcroft's march "Land of song"; "David of the white rock"

USA: Morton Gould's "American salute", Grundman's "The Blue and the Grey", Bilik's "American Civil War Fantasy" or Leidzen's "Post bellum rhapsody"

Bohemia: Dvorak's "Slavonic Rhapsodies" - either available as stand-alone arrangement or as part of selections such as Ray Steadman-Allen's "Melodies of Dvorak"

Finland: "Finlandia"

Russia: "Marche slav"

France: "Can-can" from Orpheus in his underwear

Austria: "Radetzky march"

Italy: March from "Pines of Rome"

Jamaica: "Jamaican Rumba"
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  9. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

How about Gareth Wood's "Hinemoa" for the New Zealand thing - I've not heard it for ages (although I could've been listening in the wrong places :D)

John Golland's Chanson Trevaux is a great little piece for the Swiss connection, or for something a little more comedic Berne Patrol ( Elgar Howarth).
  10. KMJ Recordings

And if the Bands are up to it, you could always play Alexander Owen's march "Around the World" - it's a bit tough on the basses though ;)

Edit: Just reread the original post - scrach that idea, with the gretest of respect it'll probably be a little too technically demanding.
  11. KMJ Recordings

In a Persian Market?

I'll get my coat...... :eek:

TIMBONE Active Member

13. sooooper sop

sooooper sop Member

Eric Ball arranged a peice called 'in swizerland' not to my taste but it has got some trad swiss stuff in it. I think we may have it in our library if your interested?
    Also how about 'girl with the flaxen hair' by debbussy (France)
  14. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

How about

Famous british marches - UK

Espana - oo-er, obvious

In Munchen steht ein hofbrauhaus - Germany

American in paris (two birds with one stone there!)

Dance of the russian sailors - Russia

Meiso - Japan (Might be wee bit hard and needs a top drawer bari and tenor horn duo.)

African funk - Africa (dead easy, great fun and raises money for a good cause too!)

Starts and stripes forever - USA

With the exception of Meiso, and maybe american in paris, any one of them should be ok for a massed bands bash.

Good luck!
  15. englishgill

englishgill Member

All great suggestions so far - I'll run them past the conductor and see how much cash the treasurer has in his piggybank!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions - I look forward to finding a few more when I get back to my computer after the long weekend - hooray!!!!!

G x
  16. annmck

annmck Member

Phillip Harper wrote a piece for Cornwall Youth Brass Band called "Beyond the Tamar" which takes you on a journey from Cornwall to Austria (I think), Russia, Africa, India and South America before arriving back in Cornwall. It's a cracking piece of music and was played by approx 60 players at it's premier last year (in Cornwall). I believe Polysteel played one or two movements from it at Yeovil this year.
  17. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Alte Kameraden/Old Comrades - German/British (Huckelhoven Hgh School, 1984ish - massed band, great fun)
    Jamie's Patrol - Scottish
    Berne Patrol - Swiss
    Te Deum Prelude (Charpentier) - Euro-thingy (pean or vision...)
    Beethoven's umpteenth - Ode to Joy - apparently European
    South Pacific - Rogers?
    Men of Harlech (arr Langford) - possibly Welsh? :)rolleyes:)
    1812 Overture - great massed band piece, Loud!, fireworks - French may not like it....

TIMBONE Active Member

19. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Here are a few of mine!

Turkish Delight (Turkey) - Studio Music
    Romance D'lamour (Spain) - Studio
    Hernandoes Hideaway (Mexico?) - MF Music
    Around the World in 80 Days (from the new film) - Bernaerts Music

For more titles visit!

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Regarding works from New Zealand, although not folk based, the popular Invercargill March by Alex Lithgow could be considered. Down The Brunner Mine (Anthony Ritchie) is a set of variations based on a folk song however, and recalls one of N.Z.'s worst mining disasters.