Suggestions for C Grade own choice (Third Section in UK)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by kiwiinoz, Mar 7, 2012.

1. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

Hi there. Our C grade band is looking for an own choice piece for contest this year. Last year we won on Music for a Festival and Dimensions. This year we looked at Aeronauts but our basses really struggled so the BM has put it away.
    So the question is, what would you all suggest for this year bearing in mind our weakness. Really welcome any suggestions so I can put them to the committee (where they can be ignored by the BM anyway)

2. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Have a look at the Major Works section of our catalogue on - there are several test pieces that would be suitable for your band.
  3. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

try something like "Fingals Cave " or "Trittico" Personly I like "Journey into Freedom" but your Basses might struggle with that. ( Where in Queensland is your Band ?)
  4. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

For C grade / 3rd section? :eek: I know 1st section bands who struggle with that!

scaba have a list of suggested test pieces Here. Its not totally up to date and some of the suggested gradings are a bit controversial (but none so much as Journey for your section imho!), but hopefully the 2nd/3rd section lists will give you a few ideas.

You could also look at what other bands have played in similar standard contests - have a trawl through the adjudicators comments section on here, and look at lists of test pieces for contests eg Pontins, Butlins and the GB Nationals - sites like IBEW are a really useful source.
  5. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I played "Journey into Freedom" in a 'B' Grade comp about 14 years ago so thought it would be a good Challenge for 'C' grade. sometime you need a challenge to step up to.
    it is also a personal favourite of mine
  6. Dark Side of the Moon has proved really popular. Very simple bass parts.
    The Once and Future King is excellent.
    Variations on Laudate Dominum is fun to play and a good listen.
    Journey into Freedom? Absolutely NOT.
  7. Trum

Trum Member

What about Land of the Long White Cloud? Not too bad on Basses and always been one of my favourates
  8. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Here's a list of test pieces that have been used in various sections:

9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

How about 'Mountain Views'? It would be easily playable by most 3rd section bands, plus you would benefit from the fact that its setting for the 1st section areas this year will make people think that it is much more difficult than it really is.

I'm actually reasonably serious... I think 3rd section bands would have loved this as their area piece. It's wasted on the 1st section - a pleasant enough piece to listen to is resented because of its inappropriateness.
  10. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

Shine as the Light by Peter Graham....we did it as a regional 2nd section piece. Great piece of music
  11. I agree it's a great piece but if the basses can't manage aeronauts then they will reallly struggle with this.
  12. QAD

QAD Member

sinfonietta - horovitz
    music from kantara - kenneth downie
    valarius variations - sparke
    viscaya - vinter
    four noble truths - sparke
  13. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

Portrait of a City - Phillip Sparke
    Oceans - Goff Richards
  14. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I too was going to suggest oceans, I think it's a corker, loved playing that in an own choice before! Also another vote for dark side of the moon! Philip harper's Olympus seems quite nice too. I think that land of the long white cloud would be a bit too far for a 3rd section band.
  15. fartycat

fartycat Member

Music from the Elizabethan Court arr Elgar Howarth
    Penlee by Simon Dobson
    Occasion by Edward Gregson
    Olympus by Philip Harper
  16. MoominDave

You need a euphonium player of better than average 3rd section standard for 'Oceans'. But given that, the right band could bring it off well.
  17. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I seem to remember you also need something of a virtuoso triangle player ...
  18. wagger-g

wagger-g Member

I was fully with your opinion Accidental until I read 'Ballet for Band' in the scaba list! For 3rd/Youth!!! Now that's a piece that can seriously mess with your band.

At this level Oceans is a belter for me. I've played and wagged it and it's a great band builder as is 'St Austell Suite'. I've not played it but 'Four Noble Truths' has opportunities to show off the band and has brought creditable contest performances from many of my local bands.

I know it was 4th section Area but I think 'Saint-Saens Variations' is well worth consideration.

Good luck with your quest Kiwiinoz
  19. MoominDave

I think it's a misprint for Ballad for Band. The composer is Gordon Jacob, which would fit, and the much more difficult Horovitz 'Ballet for Band' is listed in their suggested Championship list.
  20. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

A couple of older pieces, but still good 'uns:

Sunset Rhapsody - Eric Ball
    The Moor of Venice - William Alwyn

Not too challenging technically, but enough to stretch a band at the kind of level we're talking about, and interesting from a musical point of view (if you like tone poems, anyway).