Suggestions / Advice Needed.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrotherBone, Jun 12, 2007.

1. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

Hi all,
    Was wondering if anyone out there could offer any advice on how to go about starting a funk band. Being at uni ive got the contacts as far as the musicians go, but im just not too sure about what sources there are for music out there, we'd be looking to play stuff similar to Jamiroquai, and disco funk stuff such as Play that funky music white boy etc lol...

Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Benn.

2. dikkezeug

dikkezeug New Member

Mmh, sounds like some l;ess conventional street band stuff may be required here. Search for Piece Artists, a streetband located in Bradford. Maybe they are willing to help you with some music. I've got their webvsite address somewhere but can't find it at this minute but if I do find it I'll post it here.

good luck,

Wouter

3. Tub Thumper

Tub Thumper Member

By funk band, I'm guessing you mean a rock band with a horn section (trumpet, trombone, sax(es))....

I've been in a couple of these in the past but playing mainly soul stuff a la the Commitments/ Blues Brothers...

In the first band I was in (pre internet/ Sibelius etc) the guitarist/ bass player/ vocalist didn't really read music so they liked learning things by ear from the record. Similarly, the brass players didn't like learning things by ear so I spent literally hours listening to CDs (sometimes with the help of the piano sheet music) and transcribing/ arranging the brass parts (I was the drummer!) and then used the rehearsals to knit both camps together. This worked pretty well but was time consuming when you wanted to do new material.

I've recently rejoined a band like this and we've found a guy on ebay who sells 'small band arrangements' (can't remember his name and can't get into my ebay account at the moment) where he does about 25 arrangements on a cd for £25. The arrangements come as midi files and sibelius files so you can tweak them/ change/ transpose them. There are parts for the whole band (guitar/ bass etc although no vocal part - something to do with copyright) and are faithful to the recorded versions (so the guitarists etc can learn them by ear if necessary!). If I can find his name, I'll post it on here later but he does all the Soul stuff/ 70s disco stuff over the jump/ jive things and the rat pack - all arranged for trumpet, trombone, alto and tenor sax (but will work with just a trumpet and sax). So much easier than transcibing things yourself - I wish these had been around first time when I did a soul band!

You could also download midi files into sibelius yourself and pull out the horn parts or look up London Orchestrations via Google who publish a lot of arrangements of this type of music but they are more expensive.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  4. Tub Thumper

Tub Thumper Member

Think the seller on ebay is

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/brassiko

nothing on at the moment but if you email him, I'm sure he'll be able to help!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  5. Texus

Texus Member

Really the best way to enjot and build a successful gigging band is to learn the set by ear. This makes for much more fun on stage! Good luck.

6. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

I agree...

As a university musician, can you not transcribe the music you want to play? or even write your own stuff, that way you can put all the bits you like in, with your own touch/style instead of relying on tabs and the simplified piano parts?

7. ratley

ratley Member

May I suggest that you contact one of our tMpers - Furnivalents - for a bit of advice? He advertised in our recruitment corner for a brass player for his soul/funk type band a couple of weeks ago, might be worth a try......

Kay

8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Try also contacting Ian Luxford on here - he plays for a brilliant soul band and I'm sure he'll give you some advice if he can. I think he probably does most of the bands arrangements himself though.....

9. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

Thanks guys for all the helpful advice so far =) Definitely some stuff to look into. It'd be good to get it all off by ear but we have people of varying levels of playing ability and some feel more confident with having dots, even if its just basic chord sequences infront of them. . =)

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Maybe a visit to a '70s/'80s style nightclub is worth a thought. You would find out which numbers are more popular than others!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    ive
    Benn
    contacts
    disco funk stuff
    Play
  12. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I've been in a function band, Disco Inferno, for a couple of years now, we have Trumpet, Tenor and Alto/Bari Sax. As some have said they do above, most of the band learn the parts from the recordings. The horns are the only ones that use dots, which makes life much easier when we need to dep parts out too. We transcribe these ourselves. We cover quite a lot of 70s music as well as more modern tunes (jamiroquai etc.) and modify our set to suite the crowd

13. CAVBASSMAN

CAVBASSMAN New Member

Try listening to Funkadelic, Chicago, Earth,Wind and Fire and the Average White Band. They all had a Brass Backing Band and played Funk Music

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Funkadelic NEVER used a horn section! They were more geared towards a heavy rock influence for that type of funk. George Clinton used his band Parliament for the horn section and was based around the musical forms of James Brown or Maceo Parker's J.B. Horns.

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I found a site that covers most of the bands and singles that hit the dancefloor throughout the Seventies. A lot of useful information here ...

http://www.70disco.com/hitpar1-50.htm

16. CAVBASSMAN

CAVBASSMAN New Member

Sorry. I stand corrected. I meant to say 'Parliament' but had a mind block and could only think of George's other Band.

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Funkadelic are still brilliant though! More daring than the commercial side of George Clinton that was Parliament. Great Parliament horn section too (that included the J.B. Horns as well as top notch session players of that time!). Must have been that mothership connection ;)