Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by groovy, May 11, 2005.

1. groovy

groovy Active Member

I was thinking it would be really good if there was a forum/catagory that could be a sort of database of music, whether it is a band piece or a testpiece or a solo. tMPers could post their views on music eg difficulty, value for money, is it any good or not. I would find this useful because when I am buying music I often am not sure what I should go for! Would this be possible?
  2. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I think this is a really good idea - especially with newer pieces of music. Bands and soloists are always looking for new music, and opinions (especially with difficulty) are always greatly appreciated.
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Sound like it would be a music reviews forum? and each piece would have its own thread (maybe even a poll)

Could do the same with recordings as well.
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

One of the problems with something like this is keeping it to manageable proportions. If you're looking for a quick guide to assist with purchases, you're unlikely to want to plough through detailed reviews. Another problem with trying to grade pieces is that each band has different strengths - although I agree it would be helpful if there were brief comments such as "needs good solo horn" and the like.

If anyone is looking for euphonium music, then Steven Mead's site has quite a comprehensive list of repertoire, graded according to difficulty:

Also, just a reminder that we do already have a "User reviews" section if anyone wants to give their comments on music, recordings, products etc
  5. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I think that is a bit much, I think this is the sort of thing that Groovy means...

"Our band are looking to purchase some new music for a concert programme. We have been recommended pieces X, Y and Z. We havn't heard any of these pieces before, are they suitable for a 3rd section band with alot of junior players? Are any of the parts especially difficult? How long are the pieces? The band doesnt have alot of money to play with at the moment, so the cash I have needs to be spent wisely! Help appreciated. Thanks"

Peter is quite correct, you dont want to plough through tonnes of reviews to find a single piece - with the amount of music in the brass band repetoir, it could soon get out of hand!
  6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

This is indeed a great idea, but will need some planning and thought. For example, we would need a method ofapplying a difficulty rating and "piece type" etc... but the way the software is structured just now doesn't cope with this. I can make a few small ammendments though and we should be fine.

Give us a few days to test things out and I'll get back to ya'll

7. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I think it's a good idea, with one reservation.

I recall being angry at the (lack of) quality of a piece that a band member shelled out good money on, and I might have out in a few choice words had such a forum existed!

For this reason, I think this database should be subject to mod review BEFORE entries are agreed, lest we get situations where individual composers are criticised/flamed etc. There have been instances where comments bordering on or actually being libellous have been made on tMP, and the Mods have (quite rightly) censored/edited them.

8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

And anyway - there are two such databases in existence that I know of.

Dave Payn and Peter Bale.

(And there may be many more!)