Suggest your 2008 Lower Section Area Piece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by iancwilx, Nov 29, 2006.

1. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

What do you suggest would be suitable lower section test pieces for 2008.
    (1st Section down to 4th Section)
    If they go online, this might just give the distinguished gents on the selection panel a glimmer of inspiration to make an informed choice !!
    - Wilky

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wilky
    glimmer of inspiration
    selection panel
    suitable lower section test pieces
    Section Area
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- maybe it would help with any suggestion(s) that the poster says which section they are (likely) to play in.

4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Yes, quite right, excellent point.
    Please only suggest for your own section.
    - Wilky

5. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

There are of course those bands who hope not to be in their section in 2008:)

6. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Could be a chance to get in an early parting shot!;)

7. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

2nd Section - Essence of Time or Land of the LOng White Cloud

8. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Is this to be a realistic thread, or not?

9. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Well they'll certainly keep up with the 'too hard for the section' theme that's been running of late!

10. Albert Fairbrother

Albert Fairbrother New Member

There's championship section bands that can't play Essence and Land of the Long White Cloud!!! I think someone needs to be realistic !

11. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Ok then you asked i play in first section and i would like to see either:James Cook Circumnavigator or Variations On A Ninth or possilby High Peak

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wilky
    glimmer of inspiration
    selection panel
    suitable lower section test pieces
    Section Area
  13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

GingerMaestro is clearly far too much of a visionary for this forum, and should immediately be appointed to the testpiece selection commitee ...

14. boogaloo

boogaloo Member

I would love to see journey into freedom given a run in the secord or third section.

these sections need a quality piece for once.:clap:

15. Third Section ????

Madness ! :tongue:

16. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

I'm seriously doubting the mental health of certain contributors to Tmp. Journey into freedom for the 3rd section, Essence of time for the 2nd section thats the sort of barminess that gets the movement a bad reputation. Having seen all the complaints against Tam O'shanter you are suggesting Journey into Freedom. Images would be a walk in the park compared to Essence of Time. Come on lets be realistic.

17. KMJ Recordings

:biggrin:

I have to be honest, if such suggestions are meant to be tongue in cheek then so be it - but it can be quite hard to see that from just words on a page....but if they're serious, then you've been given the reason why things like this thread wouldn't be taken seriously.

18. QAD

QAD Member

It would be nice to see Music for a Festival in the fourth section (hasn't had an outing in a while), and I'm fed up with the musically stunted dross that been selected recently.
    For some reason the recent fourth section regional peices are full of pastiche and little substance...

19. JR

JR Member

..sounds sensible to me - and I'm all for Vinter revivals. I think the Wayfarer will be a big ask for most 1st sectioners so High Peak could possibly surface at the finals - but then you'd have to hear it in the appalling Harrogate acoustic - so maybe not.

I'd definitely like to see:
    California Legend (Bruce Broughton) in the 2nd (neglected for over 20 years)
    Chorale and Variations (Lucas) in the 3rd or at a pinch, 4th
    or Introduction and Allegro (Gareth Wood) in 2nd or 3rd (neglected for over 25)

John R

20. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I really was hoping we were going to get some seriously considered reasonable suggestions here.
    Let's be sensible and realistic, or we are in the same boat as the Music Panel that actually picks the pieces - IMHO out of touch.
    - Wilky

21. KMJ Recordings

Agreed. It'd be nice to see people give the reasoning behind their choices rather than just naming the piece (I'm afraid "because I like it" doesn't do it for me ;) ). It'd be interesting to draw a parallel to that kind of output with my thread on how we hear ourselves (which could be subtitled "Or....how good do we think we really are" :D)

22. HBB

HBB Active Member

OK, what I think could be a good selection:

Championship section: either Music of the Spheres or English Heritage (although I think the latter may be slightly too easy to test some of the areas?)
    1st section: Tallis Variations (Sparke) - Would push bands, but is in reach.
    2nd section: Prisms (Graham) - plenty to get their teeth into, but again in reach or how about Spectrum - although the back rows may kill me!
    3rd section: Variations on Laudate Dominum (however is overused and not too taxing) or Triptych - and old favourite :)
    4th section: A Bournemouth Suite (I know, blatently selfpublicity, but I think that young composers should have the opportunity?) or Music for a Festival - would test 4th section bands