Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well, this is the puzzle that's 'gripping the nation', 'the latest craze'......

I'm a puzzle addict. I'll try my hand at almost anything, but I just can't seem to hack it with Sudoku. Bah! Too much for my ageing brain!

What about other tMPers? Are you hooked?

What amazes me is that practically every newspaper going contains at least one daily Sudoku puzzle. Is it a temporary fad or is it here to stay? Does anybody really care?

2. Di

Di Active Member

My mum brought a book of em around for me to have a go at, knowing I like puzzles. I took one look and put it aside. My lil lad came home, wow coooool sudoko puzzles and whipped off with it. I went shopping for a new crime novel today, and there were at least 6 sudoku books on the "best sellers" racks. :eek:
  3. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I like it :)

Have done a few in the newspaper, and downloaded a trial game on my comp, but thats run out now, someone get me the book when they see it!......please! :)
  4. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

Yep, I'm hooked too.

Will be buying a couple of books to take on hols - definitely won't be short of choice ;)

Any recommendations on the best ? If not will probably go for The Times as I think they were the first print it (in the UK anyway !)
  5. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Carol vorderman is doing a full on guide to it i believe, seems quite popular, or at least it did while i was working at tescos! Gives you tips on how to solve it, which is helpful :)

Seems like a good choice of book for holidays, we took some puzzle books to greece, kept us occupied for a while! Going hot or cold? Cos i have trouble concentrating in cold places!
  6. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

I went for the ones published by 'The Times'. They sell them v cheaply in Asda!
    By the end of my holiday I could even do the FIENDISH ones, although sometimes took me hours!
  7. Fergus

Fergus Member

Am also hooked and would recommend the Times or telegraph books. Both have some guidelines for completing and once you've got the knack I'm sure you'll also become totaly addicted.
  8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

A couple of the students at work are going mad for these. I think they're OK - once I'd worked out how to get started. Not sure if I've done any really difficult ones yet though. They are a pig if you get something wrong - having to backtrack through it all to find your mistake. Sometimes its better just to start again.

They're probably not as big a fad as the dear old rubiks cube, but I would imagine that most will die out of newspapers eventually.
  9. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I was particularly surprised to find Sudoku in the Sun. I hadn't realised that the average Sun reader could count that high;)
  10. NeilW

NeilW Member

My wife says the only ones she finds a challenge are the 4x4 one (0-9 + A-F) :rolleyes:

She too is a puzzle addict (a fan of the magazine "Tough Puzzles" - each issue of which takes her several months!)

11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I know that's why I like to take a look at the Sun when I have extra time at the pub :D
  12. Di

Di Active Member

Well, since its such a craze, I ought to hunt the book out and give it a go. :rolleyes:
  13. Donkey Horn

Donkey Horn Member

Absolutely love 'em! Managed to complete one of the Times fiendish ones in my dinner hour the other day,...really impressed myself. Can't get the hang of these new "Killer Suduko" the Times has just brought out though. Can anyone else do them?
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I find I can normally knock off the more straightforward ones fairly quickly now - sometimes even just between the newsagent's and work in the morning. Can be frustrating if you go wrong - I tend to go back and put a ring round those which I know are correct, and work on from there.

The Mail at the weekend has a couple of more awkward ones - a 12 number one, where the biggest problem is keeping track of teh options, and an 8-figure one with over-lapping rectangles.

My sister gave me a small book that I'll take on the train to Coventry tomorrow and then on to the Open - if there are any left by then :oops:
  15. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

See I did it on the computer, but that was easy if the number was right it went green and if it was wrong it went red, it doesn't do that on paper :( hmmm there was a free book of them in my dads paper the other day and I just couldn't do it! and my mum could only do the ones with numbers and letters in! Strange woman!!
  16. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Yep, love them Sudoku. Can't wait for my free CD with the Independent on Saturday.
  17. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

cant get enough of 'em, found it useful when the cornets and horns cant get hold of a rhythm and we're all sat around for 20 mins til they get it ;)
  18. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Yet again I appear to be a non-conformist. I haven't even batted an eyelid at them. I prefer the mental torture of the Telegraph Crossword, or at a push though rarely The Times, but never in a million years the Saturday Grauniad. If there is a natural order to numbers, why spend hours trying to rearrange them into another order. I may be converted at some stage in my life but then again, I still don't think Ricky Gervais is funny :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :confused: :rolleyes: etc
  19. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Couldn't agree more, I don't see what all the fuss is about really, and I haven't found my life lacking in anything cos I don't do the puzzles!

Of course this view has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I can't make head nor tail of them :confused:
  20. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

You all should try

all puzzles are free, they have all different levels and you can print them out.

I play them all the time, even when I'm in the orchestra pit and on the train!