Subscriptions: Is anyone NOT receiving theirs...?

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Dec 23, 2005.

1. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

ah ok! well i've not subscribed to anything ... i dont think! but i do get emails whenever i get a PM, so thats working ok! :)

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Please add me to the list of people who are not receiving instant e-mail notifications of new postings in subscribed threads.

This is only within the last 24-ish hours or so. I've re-checked all my profiles/options etc., and nothing has changed there.

I've also checked my inbox etc, and am up-to-date with maintenance/disk clean-up etc.

Thanks,

G.

3. NeilW

NeilW Member

I still don't get them either.

My "default" for notification is "Daily" (maybe that comes into the equation?) - which will apply to this thread.

Maybe I should post to another thread with the setting of "immediate"?

I DO, however, get notifications for PMs - so tMp knows how to get to me and can do so...

Neil.

4. starperformer

starperformer Member

its been very erratic for me for weeks/months now

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Right, I have an update for you all. I posted this as an issue with the DataCenter and in addition as a support question with vBulletin. They both advised me to make some technical configuration changes to the way the dedicated server is set up, and have asked that I then ascertain if this has fixed the issue.

So, can those who have been experiencing this email notification issue please post an update in this thread letting me know if you are now receiving email notifications correctly.

NB: Please do ensure though that you have this user option enabled within your UserCP - which you can check by following this;

UserCP > Edit Options > Messaging & Notification > Default Thread Subscription Mode > Instant email notification

Thanks.

6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Yep, got the instant notification for this very post; first one I have recieved for over a week. No others as yet, but it's perfectly possible no one has posted recently in any of my other subscribed threads.

Thanks,

G.

7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

OK getting others now; seems to be fixed, at least for me.

Thanks,

G.

8. TheMusicMan

OK, looking good so far. I have also had a few emails from people informing me that things are again working well.

9. NeilW

NeilW Member

So it the problem limited to those of us who want daily notification not instant?

Neil

10. TheMusicMan

Unsure of that Neil sorry. I have only been informed of people not receiving their email notifications. If those are daily or instant I am uncertain sorry,

11. NeilW

NeilW Member

Yup. Switched notifiation on this thread to "instant" and got one when you replied John. First one I've received in ages as all of my other subscribed threads are Daily or Weekly.

So... it seems that Daily notification isn't working, but Instant is. Maybe that's something for the developers to look into?

Do you get any mail logs out of the machine you can examine to see if the notifications are failing in the BBS code or in the mailer itself (I'd suspect the former!). Are there any BBS generated logs you can look in for error messages? I'd also wonder how the "periodic" notifications are actually processed - presumably on some form of schedule: is that working?

Good luck
    Neil.

12. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I've just received a couple of notifications too. I'll keep an eye on it! I wasn't even receiving notifications of pms earlier on in the week!

13. TheMusicMan

Neil: the 'fix' I applied was only done today and so you would not have had an opportunity to see if the daily notification is now working. Post back this time tomorrow and you will have a better idea.

14. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

I've just got a new PM e-mail notification, first one in days, so that's working now. Thanks John. :D

15. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

I'm pretty sure that I have instant messaging selected in the UserCP, but the system won't let me in to check...

Presumably, I've complicated matters by changing email address when I thought my original address was blocking tmp as spam

16. TheMusicMan

Hi Derek

This should be fixed for you now. I guess you recently amended your email address and as such would have been asked by the system to confirm this before you would be able to post as a normal user once again. I spotted you hadn't yet done this, so manually confirmed this on your behalf. All should be fine now.

J.

17. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Well, I received the email for this post! :clap:

However, I changed address after I'd noticed several threads had been updated, and I hadn't received emails - and, since I wasn't receiving emails, I never got the confirmation one for the new address, so couldn't confirm.....

Thanks, let's see how it goes :tup

18. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

All OK now - but still doesn't explain why emails stopped on the day of the server change?

Ah well, why worry...

19. TheMusicMan

I am not 100% sure what the issue was prior to the server move Derek, but there was a server configuration that wasn't set (not rightly or wrongly - just not set!!) when we moved to the dedicated server. This caused subscription mails not to work.

I asked the datacenter and vBulletin about this which resulted in the datacenter turning something on, hey presto!!

20. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

For some reason I seem to have lost mine in the last couple of weeks, I've been on a course for 3 days and a thread that my list says I have subscribed to has had loads of posts but I've had no e-mial notifications! I log in at work and the work server has just been changed, could this be the cause?