Stupid Sayings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bagpuss, Jun 5, 2004.

1. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

This one may have been done before.

Anyone know any really stupid sayings??? They could be things parents used to say to you as a child, proverbs or whatever really. Here's a couple to start off with.

Parent saying number 1:

Parent saying number 2:

2. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

"keep an eye on you" i always thought was really stupid... esp cos i always thought it was "keep an iron on you" when i was small.

and "keep your eyes peeled" just used to make me squirm! eugh!
  3. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

" Its Always In The Last Place You Look"

Well Duh, your not egsactly going to carry on looking for it after you've found it 8)
  4. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

thats wot i was gonna say
  5. six pints

six pints Active Member

first things first.

tell you what, why dont we have first things third!

too much peter kay....
  6. trombelle

trombelle Member

'wouldn't touch him with a ten foot barge pole...'

7. This is blatantly turning into a Peter Kay thread, lol....

slightly off topic but still funny, here's a couple of his classic lines...

1/. why does a dog go mental if you blow in it's face, and yet the first thing it does when it gets in a car is stick it's head out the window?! :shock:

2/. Who was the first person to look at a cow and think.... "Hmmm, I'll pull those dangly things and drink whatever comes out!"
  8. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

A pervy farmer perhaps :?:
  9. Can anyone explain the origin of

10. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

This is a HUGE leap, but hear me out.

A group of vultures is called a kettle (much like a group of lions a pride, a group of crows a murder, etc...)

So if it is a different kettle of fish, perhaps they are featherless scavengers of the ocean that circle from overhead before eating their prey?

(Like I said, a bit of a stretch)
  11. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

a group of fish is a kettle sometimes, so a different kettle of fish...

my favourite is 'I'll tell you something for nowt'.
  12. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Red sky at Night, shepherds delight. Red sky in the morning, shepherds warning.

Alsways struck me as being a bit naff that one. However, heard a version sometime ago that made me chuckle

Red sky at night, shepherds delight. Red sky in the morning, sheep are on fire!!!!

13. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

ive always known that one as red sky at night sheperds delight, red sky in the morning sailors warning.

still dont know wot it means like but never mind
  14. six pints

six pints Active Member

its to do with the weather. if the sky is red at night, then it will be sunny next morning. if its red in the morning, there will be storms which sailors dont like. dont think its true, just an old wives tale.
  15. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Really stupid old sayings........

Break a leg......

Why on EARTH(!!!) would youy encourage a performer to break a leg? Or any limb???? It could be the end of their career!!!!!

A stitch in time saves 9.....

When mending trousers, I don't how do you know you are actually saving 9? You may only be sewing 4.....besides, who only puts in 1 stitch???

As a kid, my grandfather used to have catchphrases that he'd use all the time. Things like "Hurry up and eat your dinner so we can go walk the dog." amd "Don't F$%k with buttons!!" have now come back to bit him in the behind.....
  16. louise0502

louise0502 Member

Heard this on Blue Peter - in the old days, people would carry on clapping for ages at the end of a performance if they liked it and all the while they carried on clapping, the performers would have to go back out and bow again and again, so much so that they broke their legs. So if you break a leg, you do really well.
  17. six pints

six pints Active Member

how often have you seen someone break their leg bowing??? they mustnt have been very good at it!
  18. NeilW

NeilW Member

has it as:

"Superstition against wishing an actor Good Luck! has led to the adoption of this phrase in its place. Popular etymology derives the phrase from the 1865 assassination of Abraham Lincoln. John Wilkes Booth, the actor turned assassin, leapt to the stage of Ford's Theater after the murder, breaking his leg in the process. The logical connection with good luck is none too clear, but such is folklore.

There is no evidence, however, to suggest that this is the true derivation, and since the earliest usage of the phrase dates to the 1920s, there is much to suggest that it is not. The best that can be said is that the origin is unknown.

A DICTIONARY OF CATCH PHRASES (see below) suggests that there may be a connection with the German phrase Hals und Beinbruch, an invitation to break your neck and bones. The German phrase is used by aviators and is equivalent to the English phrase Happy Landings!. Both phrases arose about the same time, the early twentieth century, but the connection between the German aviation community and American theater is unclear, so they may be unrelated.

A DICTIONARY OF SLANG AND UNCONVENTIONAL ENGLISH, published some eight years before the above, does not list the theatrical meaning. Instead, it lists an obsolete meaning of "to give birth to a bastard child," from circa 1670."

19. Trigger

Trigger Member

Classic one that my mum and dad used to say when I was keeping on at them to do something was "sorry I can't, I've got a bone in my leg". So for years and years I thought that having a bone in your leg was a bad thing that meant you coudn't get your backside off the couch!! :lol:
  20. dazzyboy

dazzyboy Member

my mum always used to say......
    'dont pick your nose or your head'll cave in'.........always believed that one as well.
    Or if i pulled a face in disgust or anger.......
    'if wind changes it'll stick like that'.......sorry what!?...............
    and why do peole say 'Gorden Bennet'?......who is he?..and finnally another classic from the 'rents.....'What the hell hell are you playing at up there, sounds like your coming through roof'.............having asked my parents on several occasions i can now verify that neither has witnessed any person or creature 'coming through a roof' and can therefore not claim that the sound of me and my sister fighting resembles anything like a person dropping through the ceiling.