Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Ali, Jun 17, 2003.

1. TOP TEN

1. Ali

Ali Member

2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

gutted ;) they really *beeped* the results at dobx didnt they..
    glad we didnt go
  3. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

We got 3rd there, no complaints from me! Stop moaning, it's happened now; your poll's not going to change anything.

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I don't think the aim is to grumble about the result, but rather to point out the apparent inconsistency between the adjudication and the placing. If, as we presume, the band in question was in the bottom few placings, when you look at the comments given then the playing by the other 58 bands must have been phenomenal!

Surely the whole purpose of an adjudication is to pinpoint both the good and bad aspects of performance, in order to encourage and help bands to raise their standards. In the quoted remarks there is not a single critical word, which is not going to give any idea as to why they were not ranked higher than they were.
  5. Ali

Ali Member

6. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

maybe the adjudicator was partaking in some of "the local atmosphere"

Bad luck on this - tis something which really gets on my nerves. An adjudicators sheet should be a positive critique of a band's performance. We're all capable of saying "Good at A - Basses did well - balance good. well done" Not much good though is it?

Most bands that contest are on the receiving end of some really dodgy results. In a recent contest, in which we were required to play two pieces, one of our choices yielded a section-winning 70 points, while the other a mere 65. When you consider that in these contests, a difference of 2 is normal, and 3 is considered large, we couldn't believe that there were 5 points worth of difference between the two pieces. On perusal of the adjudicator's comments, there was no mention whatsoever of anything which would result in a single point difference, let alone 5.. Everything was positive and impressive etc etc.

Everyone gets these from time to time, but it does raise questions about what the hell the adjuticator is thinking, and why he didn't write it on the blasted sheet.

At the end of the day, adjudicators answer only to themselves...
  7. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

I'm sure there is nothing sinister about the result. I get the feeling that you may think there's some vendetta against your bands as I seem to recall at least one other occasion where you have brought to our (it may have been on another forum) attention the way your band have been unfairly, rightly or wrongly, treated at a contest.

At the end of the day if we don't want to put ourselves up for praise or ridicule we shouldn't go to the contest. The adjudicators will get things wrong (every time Fodens don't win I'm sure they have :lol: ) we just have to rise above it.

8. Heather

Heather Member

Don't fret about it!
    We've all been through it at more important contests than Whit Friday.
    Its only a bit of fun anyway.........isn't it????????
  9. Ali

Ali Member

10. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Freakiest result of all.......we won a deportment prize.
  11. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I've argued for some time that some kind of generic criteria should be introduced to standardise adjudications and make adjudicators more accountable.

I remember one day some time ago at Brighton when I heard 10 fairly out of tune performances; on our remarks I later read 'perfect intonation and tuning' which was no consolation for coming last...

12. SBB

SBB Member

someone in our band knows the adjudicator that was at Denton and afterwards he said to her that he was soo far back he could'nt really hear clearly any of the bands!
  13. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

Bloody hell Alan, you didn't just crack a smile did you?! :wink:

14. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

The bit I find most bizarre about the DobX result, is the fact that Dobcross Youth beat Dobcross Senior......>AND Dobcross Youth Intermediate, beat the bloody both of them. :oops:

Figure that one out if you can lol

Mark B
  15. Ali

Ali Member

Now are you just being sarcastic or are you sticking up for me? :? I know I get wound up easy, too easy sometimes but bear with me. Im trying you know!
  16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As an aside, one of the difficulties that the old City of Coventry faced occurred when the "B" band became so good that it was promoted into the same section as the "A" band.