Stupid Old Men.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, Jan 11, 2007.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I would like to continue the insurance debate that started in fiona's thread but with a different view- does anyone have any idea of the statistics of accidents that are caused by older drivers!

I was unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident on tuesday afternoon when an eldery gentleman pulled out into me (god knows what he was thinking) in the middle of the dual carriageway sending me hurtling into the crash barrier. (very scary but thank god i managed to keep my car on the road) I may only be 19, and supposedly classed as the dangerous driver, but the accident wasnt my fault, and after some nearby highwaymen pulled me out of my car and got me to the side of the road the git drove off so i couldnt get his details. Grrrrr!! I was so annoyed! (and a little shaken!)

I spent two hours with the nice police man and the highway men looked after me but quite frankly the whole thing has been a pain in the neck (LITERALLY- whip lash!) and now its looking like my car is probably going to be a write off :(

By nightime the police phoned me to say the man that did it had reported himself to the police station but do you think that warrents driving away from the scene of an accident?!

I would like to make a stand on behalf of all the young drivers who aren't actually wreckless little things that cause insurance premiems to rise against elderly drivers who seem to drive more dangerously than young people. Once again. Grrrr!

Anyone else been in a similar position or have any views on old drivers?!

Rant over. (for now!)

PS- Fi- try and get fully comp insurance if you can!
  2. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

IMHO some of the worst drivers on the road are the older generation. My Grandad is a prime example! Is there an age where you have to do a re-test? If not, there should be! If there needs lowering!

I think attitude is a lot to do with it (as well as failing eye sight, delayed reactions etc. that come with old age) I'm not saying all old people are the same, but many 'old gits' have really bad attitudes towards the younger generation. My family refuse to go any substantial distance in the car with my Grandad, short journeys are scary enough!

As for the silly old bloke that drove you off the his opinion, you were probably going to slow or to fast or weren't looking where you were going, you'll have been at fault somewhere! He's old.....he owns the road and you shouldn't have been there.

BTW...Isn't failing to stop at an accident a criminal offence??
  3. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I, like many people, have lived through the shame of being young when it comes to insurance. I have been driving 14 years and never had an accident, never had a point on my license or a speeding ticket. I haven't even had a knock on my car. Bear in mind that I drove nearly 50,000 miles in 2 years I think it quite a good record, however, I still paid massive premiums for the 1st few years with my own insurance. It's because, unfortunately, younger drivers are a bigger risk statistically and that's all insurance companies can go off. I'm also sure that if older drivers were a big risk, their premiums would also reflect that because all a premium does is purchase a "transfer of risk" and the higher the risk - the higher the premium!:redface:
  4. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Sorry to hear about your accident, hope you are recovering!

I often find the bad attitude that exists among older driver is the ' I've been driving for thirty four(or some extensive period of time) years so don't you young whippersnappers tell me what to do!'

Im also a young driver:biggrin: (aged 22) but I have infact been driving for 5 and a half years now. That brings me to a point about insurance. Even though I have that much time under my belt, I still get penalised for being young, despite the fact that someone who has only been driving 2 years eg but may be aged 28 for example will have the age advantage when it comes to insurance quotes!

Back to main point: older drivers (not all) can be a pain and drift over road line markings, drive really slowly and are often found sat in the middle lane on motorways, as are a lot of women ( I'm a female but I am NOT a middle lane driver!), then there are white van men, men in large cars who tailgate (ooo that gets me mad!:mad: )and those who talk on their mobile phone while driving !

And yes to drive away from an accident IS a criminal offence - its hit and run! and thats serious so I'm surprised the old guy didnt get in trouble for it (or did he?)
  5. Bungle

Bungle Member

We had an old man pull out of a side road on us, I think we moved over and he only hit the rear bumper on the side. We stopped and he drove off! Went to the police but they weren't interested. I used to ride my motorbike through Bexhill after playing squash, that was really scary. I think there is some statistic, that there are more road accidents in sea-side towns than in big cities. Can't remember if that is per person, or per mile of road.
  6. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

Don't driving licences expire at age 70? Mine does. Surely people have to reapply to keep driving longer? Is that just a question of paperwork or do they have to prove capability as well? I've got a feeling it's just paperwork but I haven't checked to be honest. I would have thought a medical or at the very least a sight test when reapplying would be the sensible thing. Elderly people can indeed be extremely dangerous on the roads. I've fortunately never been involved in an actual accident with an elderly person but I've certainly had near misses, and even arguments in the street about those near misses! I'm in my 30s and still find myself getting the blame :roll:

Yes, the man should be in some sort of trouble for leaving the scene. I would have thought that he is now obliged to supply his details for an insurance claim.
  7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I think the person has to go to a doctor's with a form and the doctor asks "Do you still feel OK to drive" and as long as the person replies yes, the doctor signs the form and the licence is extended! :rolleyes:
  8. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

Oh dear, that's what I feared it might be. Seems terribly inadequate doesn't it?

I can remember my father-in-law a couple of years ago insisting he was fine to drive. He was in his 80s, very poorly with cancer and really quite confused but didn't want to give up his independence. My husband had to pinch his car keys eventually, and it was heartbreaking when he finally did accept the inevitable. Very depressing for him.

I can understand it must be a hard thing to accept you can't do things you used to, but they do often put themselves and others in danger. It's a shame.
  9. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

Yes - likely. Have known people get a 'Failing to stop after an accident' conviction for a lot less that that. Also, many insurance companies do not look at all favourably on drivers with this conviction - so he may well get a hefty increase in premium.
  10. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

Watch out for old men with cloth caps on, positively lethal. The older the more dangerous, I think the cloth cap must have a drain built in to them to create total and utter confusion. Don't blame the wearer, blame the cap.
  11. Bungle

Bungle Member

I would say watch out for any driver wearing a hat! That includes old people, boy racers and policemen and if they are in a Volvo get out the way.
  12. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Old/Middle-aged men in sports cars or big bikes are the worst. You know the type, they've wanted a fancy motor all their lives and when they retire they blow the pension on it, forgetting that they can't drive like they did when they were 25.
    Thankfully my Dad has always been too poor to indulge his fancy that way. He's a total petrolhead, and old petrolheads never die, they just evaporate...
  13. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

HERE is a website you might find useful
  14. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Unfortunately, it's not even that hard. All you have to do is fill in the application form stating that you have no medical conditions which may impair your driving and that you are otherwise fit to drive. You have to do this every 5 years from 70 on. There's no need to go to a doctor or anybody.

It's all a bit daft when you compare it to other licences. To get an HGV licence, I had to have a pretty comprehensive medical, costing about £70. This is now valid til I'm 45 (assuming I don't get diagnosed with diabetes, have a stroke or any one of a number of notifiable conditions) at which point I'll have to have another expensive medical. From there, the medical certificate and the attendant licence has to be renewed every 5 years until I'm 60. Then it becomes an annual checkup and renewal.

All a bit different from some dotty old bat ticking the box that says "yes I feel ok to drive" :-?
  15. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Actually you have to do this every three years.

"Driving licences are valid till age 70, after which they will need to be renewed every three years. Short period licences may be issued for medical reasons."

Source: DVLA and Directgov
  16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Hope you're alright hun, didn't realise the so-and-so had driven off too! He should get a conviction for that, it is a criminal offence.

My grandpa (now dearly departed bless him) drove well in to his old age and only stopped driving once he'd hit another car and realised he was a liability. The worrying thing is he'd never passed a test in his life. He bought his license way back in early 1900's and was never requested to pass a test even once they became mandatory. He was never asked to prove driving his capability after 70 either.
  17. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'm surprised he had time what with all the crashing going on etc! :rolleyes:
  18. T Winch

T Winch Member

My mother is 74. For some years we have been concerned about her ability to drive. She has new clutches fitted as often as some people fill up with petrol. When she pulls up outside the house she has to phone a taxi to get her to the kerb. She is so confused at times that we even think she may have early signs of altzheimers but she's absolutley adamant that she is still fit to drive. It's got so bad that we recently felt we had no alternative than to get in touch with the DVLA as she is an accident waiting to happen. All they did was to suspend her license until she had a thorough medical, eyesight test etc. At no point has anyone got in the car with her to assess her driving. So as far as the DVLA are concerned, as long as you're fit and healthy it doesn't matter if you're as mad as a bucket of frogs.

(Her husband is twice as bad by the way)
  19. Bungle

Bungle Member

The ironic thing is, it would probably be cheaper to get rid of the car and take taxis or public transport everywhere. I realise for isolated areas this would not be possible, but for the majority it would be true. Supermarkets already do delivery for internet shoppers, why not drop off pensioners
    shopping for free.

I would suggest at seventy they undergo a test on a simulator, to judge their reactions.
  20. jamieow

jamieow Member

I agree and with all above - my Girlfriend's Grandad is 84 and a pefect example he still drives - granted, he will now only drive to 3 places on our side of town - his local every lunch time, the paper shop and the nearest supermarket. He just doesn't like to even attempt any further but I've had instances where I've passed him (yes, he was wearing a cloth cap too) and I've flashed, and waived and he's been totally oblivious. I've been behind him when he's been dropping my girlfriend's nan at the shop and he's literally just stopped in the middle of the road, no indicator, nothing, just smack bang in the middle of a main rd!!!
    I've been at a roundabout behind an old dear in her metro who could just about see over her steering wheel, we were waiting for ages as she just wouldn't go accross the roundabout, as we were waiting she started rolloing back into me, I thought "she'll stop in a sec" - no chance, I then flashed my lights and hit the horn, no affect, I selected reverse but couldn't go back sas there were people behind, in the end she continued to roll into me!!
    They have no 'spacial awareness'.
    Old people in big flash cars are a massive probelm - they don't have the strength to turn their wheel properly so run wide and you have to take evasive action.
    I saw an old guy turn off a flyover and go the wrong way down a dual carriageway sliproad onto the main Wrexham By pass!!! Unbelievable.
    All should have retests at 65, no arguments!!