Stupid ipod Nano

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by little_miss_marcroft, May 17, 2006.

1. OK.... my ipod appears to be somewhat poorly. Any help greatly appreciated...

The problem is, my ipod has NIL tracks on it. ZERO. EMPTY. BLANK. NOTHING. Yet when I plug it in to my pc and open itunes, the little tracker at the bottom of the screen, which displays how much memory remains on your ipod, tells me that 1.72GB of my ipods 2.00GB memory is full. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!?!?! :eek: MY IPOD IS EMPTYYYYYYY!!!!

Now, I have reset my ipod, and I have completely emptied my itunes library. But it still says I have used 1.72GB of my memory.

Are there any technology nerds who can help me here? Cos I'm pretty sure that on this occassion, I am not being a thicko and something is wrong!!
  2. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Are you sure it's not 1.72 GB free because some memory gets used up with the settings etc...?
    chris (not a computer nerd just wants to sound cool :wink: )
  3. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Have you done a factory restore on it? That normally sorts out any problems
  4. is this where you switch the hold on and off, then hold down the menu and main middle buttons for 10 seconds? I did the restore which is on the support website, but it's still not playing :(
  5. i kno on my 30gb ipod some of the memory was taken up for the actualy ipod operating files , mite be that

also cud be that a 2gb ipod isnt acutaly 2gb but is really close so they just call it a 2gb ?
  6. I get what you're saying, but surely the same would apply to anyone else who has ever bought a 2.00GB ipod nano? And of all the friends I have, and people I've spoken to at work, this is not the case. I'm sure it would have become a well known scam that apple sell ipods claiming to have a 2GB memory, when in fact there is no memory due to the files already on it. Anyone I seem to speak to who has one themself hasn't had this same problem though?
  7. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

Hey, I don't recall my Nano having some of the memory taken up when i first got it.
    I'd try and restore factory settings, but just to check, you haven't got any photo's stored on it that are taking up memory have you? Just with you saying that it has no tracks on it, you didn't mention photos etc. (just a thought)
    If i were you i'd try and get to one of the Apple shops for them to have a look. They're absolutly spot on there, they really know what they're on about, total buch of techi geeks!
  8. No, no photos, not a thing downloaded to it. It is completely empty.

I phoned the ipod shop last night, they said it didnt sound right but to try downloading the latest itunes first to see if that made a difference, which it didn't.

Im going on holiday on Sunday too, I really wanted to take it with me :(
  9. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

Right, well, I'd defo start by downloading latest iTunes, 6.0.4 i think should be the latest one. You're iPod will be registered and everything?
    Failing that if you're going on holiday on saturday, just use the memory you've got available on it or borrow a mates and have a fab time!
  10. dyl

dyl Active Member

Installing the latest iTunes alone won't do the trick I don't think. Get the latest iPod software for your model here: and make sure the Nano is formatted when you install it.

Once it is, copy your songs to it, take it on holiday and have a great time!
  11. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

you should havew a program on your pc called ipod software updater, it has 2 options one is to update ipod which will only be available if there is a new version of the ipod firmware to put on your nano, the other option is restore which basically wipes the ipod and restores it to the setting it had when it left the factory. If you haven't got it then as Dyl said you can get it at the Apple website. It's a good idea to restore the ipod every 4 or 5 months to stop it clunking up. As long as all your tracks are on iTunes then it doesn't matter if the ipod is wiped
  12. blakeyboy

blakeyboy Member

I know this may sound really simple and straight forward but have you tried reinstalling all the software and/or formatting the iPOD completely. The option to do this should be in one of the drop down menus in iTunes. I did it with my iPOD mini when I first had it as I couldn't get anything on the damn thing, formatting the device worked, voila, hours of musical pleasure.

Also, if you're thinking of buying some in ear head phones for ur iPOD I suggest you don't buy Apple iPOD's own, yeah the sound quality is ace, but the weight of the wire pulls them out of ur ears.

Has anyone found that their original earphones are really cack sound quality, I swapped mine to my old Sony Mini Disk ones the remote worked on them as well and the sound quality was brilliant, unfortunately I stood on them in a drunken stupour...oooopsss.....!!!!

Good luck with it dear! :confused:
  13. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

May sound a bit drastic but why not get rid of anything made by Apple and get something more reliable/better/cheaper etc etc. Not that I'm 'anti - apple' you understand but I pretty much hate everything they have ever produced!!

Just a thought.

14. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

how old is it the i pod Helen?

Theres an article in this weekends Grauniad about them saying they are only built to last one year before they need replacing. Ouch. Was going to get one for the car, now not going to bother.
  15. el maestro

el maestro Member

The music tracks might be in the wrong format - if I remember correctly, iPods only play MP3/AAC, so if your tracks are in WMA they won't show up. I wouldn't have thought that the system files would take up 2gb!