Students - How far do you travel to get home?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Andy_Euph, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Just wondering as I was freezing my ass off on two trains last night as well as York station as trains were delayed. Got to piccadilly at about quarter to 2 got through my front door at 6.15....I hate trains! :p
  2. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

depends on the day and the time, usually somewhere between 2/3/4 hours! But I have my nice car so I don't have to go on the nasty trains :cool:
  3. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Yeah I think I should learn to drive like, just lazy and like being fetched and carried everywhere
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

When I was at uni, it would take me 2 hours (and change) to get home. No trains in the Ohio, so I had to find a lift.
  5. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

it can take me about 5 hours to get home. I don't get to go home very often though. too busy in manchester
  6. Fridge

Fridge Member

depends on which day of the week and what time. On a good weekday 4 and a 1/2 hours, on a bad weekend day can be up to 7 and a half!!!
  7. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

takes about 2 hours on the train apparently... I haven't been home yet though, and hopefully when I do go they'll come and get me in the car... a whole room of belongings could be a bit difficult to get on a train...
  8. six pints

six pints Active Member

bout 45mins in car, between an hour and 2 hours in trains (depends on how well the peth train is running).
  9. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

It takes one train an hour and a half to go home. Unless i ring up and get me mum to come and get me in which case it takes an hour and a half, three quarters of an hour waiting three quarters of an hour back.
  10. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Its 1 and a half hours by train, or 1 and a quarter hours by car...a 75 mile car trip straight down the M62 from Hull uni to Huddersfield.

11. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

4 Hours by car and 9 hours on the coach - im scared of trains :p unfortunatly its the same distance to my boyfriends :(
  12. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

How far?.... 286 miles.... this can take anything between 4 hours 50 (my record so far) and 9 hours (yeap, another record) to get their, or back by car... All depends on what time you leave, accidents, road works, how many stops I take, etc etc etc..... but I know when the best times to leave are so it doesn't take so long ;-)

By train it takes about 6 hours with one change... havent done that for about 2 years though...

By plane it takes about 30-45 minutes I believe.... but I've never done that.

Walking.... must take £$%^&^* ages! :lol: :lol: :lol:
  13. jonford

jonford Member

1 hour from Leeds to Manchester in the car providing its not rush hour!
  14. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

it takes me 10mins in the car....and 1hour on buses :p
  15. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

after a night out, it can take me anything from 10 mins to 2hours to get me home from the pub. all depends if i stop for food, which taxi rank, do i try and walk home...
  16. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

About 6 and a half to 7 hours on a Weekday or Saturday on the Train. 7 to 7 and a half on a Sunday (changes - normally 2 - included)
    However if you take the plane to Plymouth it is about 2 hours including the stop at Bristol, thats from boarding at Manchester to getting off at Plymouth. Then its another hour on the train through sunny Cornwall!! :-?
    Car is about 6 hours......

on the subject of Journey times, we managed Hull city centre to Salford, with a quick 5 min stop for some food, in 1 hour 15 mins last night!! :shock: Surely this is a record?!? According to my trusty AA book this is 97 miles... making an average of..... 77.6mph! I thought were going much faster than that!! :-o
  17. bandcampgal

bandcampgal Member

im so glad i av my car! if i was catchin train to band then id av 2 leave at 5.45 4 an 8pm rehearsal (or b quite late!) and in my car i set off at 7! (and sumtimes am stil l8, damn u m602 salford traffic!)

and afterwards i wud av 2 catch train at 11pm in wigan (only direct 1 available, i refuse freeze my t.ts off at salford!) and roll in my house bout 12.15!

gud job i do av a car the amount o stuff i take wi me home every weekend. usually thats: mini suitcase, matchin bag (posh!), horn, big plastic bag full o washin, and mini handbag.
    so if u ever c sum1 lukin like a bag lady carryin all that stuf in manchester, or at salford crescent 4 the changeover, then ul no my cars finally died!
  18. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

From Sheffield to Newcastle takes near as dammit 2 hours. However getting a connecting train to Wylam is a gamble at the best of times so it could take me ages. Average of about 2 1/2 hours i reckon.

Got on a train yesterday from Leeds to Sheffield that was ridiculously busy. at Wakefield we kept the door shut and wouldn't let anyone esle on! The stationmaster teld us off though!!
  19. Jamie

Jamie Member

Ello everyone... Think Iain, Naomi and I are leading with near 300 mile trips... You're a bit further up country... but then I'm a bit further down south! With no traffic, roadworks, idiots,or pee breaks, I can do it in five hours in the car... abiding enirely by the speed limit, of course.:-?
  20. Bluebottle

Bluebottle Member

4-6 hours by train.....if they're working.....:-?