Student needs music!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Top Horn, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Top Horn

Top Horn New Member

Could anyone please suggest a good tenor horn piece for an audition about grade seven standard :?:
    Thanks, your suggestions will be appreciated :!: 8)

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

What's the audition for ...?

3. spookybiking

spookybiking Member

top horn is the audition for brass band of wales ??????? I need a piece aswell for horn a slow one?????? thanxs

4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Moderator Staff Member

Horn Solos

The Ash Grove - H. Round
    Cappricio Brilliante - Belstedt/Smith
    Higgyjig - G. Richards
    Czardas - R. Thorne
    Skelter - D. Broadbent
    Silver Threads Among The Gold - W. Rimmer

5. McEuphie

McEuphie Member

Horn music

Having been a bit "Horny" in the past how about these:

Slow:
    The Swan
    Apres Une Reve
    Romance from Mozart's Horn Concerto 2

A bit more jazzy:
    He aint heavy he's my brother
    Streets of London

Audition pieces:
    How about one of the studies in the Arban

6. billbrass

billbrass New Member

:D I am looking for help doing grade 6 theory I am tackling it myself can anyone help I have books etc but cannot seem to get away with this grade I passed grades 3,4,5 all on my own

billbrass

7. Horn audition music for NYBBW

hello all!

have been on National Youth Band of Wales course for four years, on for three of these courses on principle horn.

only advice I could give is learn the pieces well, and not to pick anything too virtuoso in style if you feel insecure about certain aspects of your technique. As long as you play it well with a good interpretation, and can show off your strong points there shouldn't be a problem. However you do not want to turn up and play twinkle twinkle, as I'm sure is not the case.

As far as all tenor horn auditions go, try and avoid "Variations on a Welsh Theme" and such like at ALL COSTS!!! lol there is plenty of good quality tenor horn music without having to result in a "cheese" fest!!!

8. HBB

HBB Active Member

Erm ....... I'm about the same standard, how about

• The Carousel
    • Sylvia
    • and If ur really feeling good on the day "Masqurade" by P. Sparke!
    :p:p

9. Re: Horn audition music for NYBBW

Oooh hello, I've been on the band for 3 years, this will be my fourth (hopefully!)

I had my audition today! And Arfon....I played it :oops:

But when Bob asked what pieces I played, and I said Variations, I put in a little "sorry!" and I had to say that Sept Fantasy wasn't up to scratch (I only pulled it out on Tuesday so I have an excuse!)

But then he said we'd look at it in my lesson. So I won't have to play it again! Hoorah!

I also did No. 8 from the Arban....those studies confuse me!

10. HBB

HBB Active Member

Re: Horn audition music for NYBBW

Having never heard any of the pieces mentioned - can someone explain why they are so "cheesy!" :?:

11. It just is.....It's like, typical Welsh theme arranged as a set of variations......there are more Welsh themes than that! PAH!

And also cos everyone plays it!

12. HBB

HBB Active Member

Oh! I've never heard of it :p:p:p (must be the only one! :))

13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

ayeee cheeeeeze!
    im sure there was another thread about horn piece suggestions too!

14. HBB

HBB Active Member

Probably is - but i find it soooo hard trying to find anything remotley related to anything!!!

15. You're a silly billy methinks.

16. HBB

HBB Active Member

No - I'm silly Benny ----- my brothers' Silly Billy (i'm totally serious :shock:)!!1

I may be silly - but I'm a TOP TEN POSTER Silly BILLy! :p:p:p

17. Are you flowerpot men by any chance?

18. HBB

HBB Active Member

Wow, you're soo original! :p:p:p

19. Soppy

Soppy Member

Back On-topic; if you want a slow piece, Demelza by Richard Nash is good. It's a Soprano or Horn solo. It's beautiful when played well and is good if you're good at Romantic Pieces. Technically, it's relatively simple (ie playing the notes), but to get the best out of it takes some skill IMO.

20. HBB

HBB Active Member

Sorry Soppy :( Speaking of another horn/soprano - the Carousel would be good - but you need nimble fingers :p :(