Student Instruments

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by catchynamegoeshere, Sep 11, 2004.

1. What do you think of Weril and Blessing instruments as student level instruments...any good?
    dave

2. Despot

Despot Member

Don't know about Weril, but Blessings are ok.

We got 3-4 second hand Blessing cornets on ebay for our kids, among other things! Finish on the valve caps are a bit rough. Big roomy cases, but instrument isn't held down paricularly well, although we've never had damage because of it.

I'd rate the cornet similar-better than an Elkhart, bit bigger and the Elkhart has a better box. (Good case is important if you expect ithe instruments to survive kids ! :) ) Better than a B&H 400, but not the Yamaha or Besson 600 & 700. (Never tried the new Besson 1000 series yet).

Got a Blessing trombone also, and while perfectly functional, I didn't like. We also have Bach and King student trombones which I thought were much better.

Also, Blessings don't seem to retain their value particularly well and can be picked up quite cheap secondhand.

On the whole perfectly good student instruments, especially if you get them at a good price!

Hope that helps! :)

3. As is well known Blessing make a decent standard of instrument.

The Weril's are a cheap Brazilian instrument. They have a rough build quality, but on a pound for pound basis, are good value. Their intonation is good, as is tone quality etc.

4. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I wouldn't reccommend a blessing to my worst enemy, or the band that kicks my **** every year!!! The metal is soft, the allignment of tuning sliudes is often very dodgy. Lacquer is cheap and nasty.

AS for Weril, never seen one, but I know they're made in Brazil

5. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

Thew erils arent bad value for money. A friend of mine has just bought a bass trombone, and its a very nice piece of kit for the money.

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The Weril flugel got quite a good write-up in one of the journals the other week - either BB or BBW, I can't remember which.