Student Instruments by Aquae Sulis - any experience?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by floppymute, Mar 9, 2011.

1. floppymute

floppymute Member

Does anyone have any experience of the student instrument range by Aquae Sulis Sebastien Buckley?

Are they any good? Originating from China I have to say I'm sceptical, but who knows?
  2. cornyandy

cornyandy Member

I have an Aqua Sullis Picc trumpet. I'm no expert on the instrument but I have quite a stable of horns and this is one of the best. The valves are just fantstic smooth and silky and quick. The instrument itself is easy blowing for a picc and has a really penatrating sound. I have played the cornet and as I am stuck with an old brevette having lent my 600 to my friends daughter (just changed the car so horn budget is nil) I would jump on one.

Hope this helps

3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not always what you want from a picc., of course ...
  4. cornyandy

cornyandy Member

Just trying to help, Its a nice intrument. with the right sound for the horn, I was trying to make the point that it isn't wooly. Sorry If my choice of word offends.
  5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not as such; I was just making the point that:

... depends on the context, and "penetrating" isn't necessarily the opposite of "woolly"; If the picc is being used for, say a Bach clarino part accompanying a choral work, you don't want a penetrating sound, nor do you want a woolly sound.

I just thought it was misleading to say that the instrument was necessarily a good picc because it had a penetrating sound.

Anyway, we're wandering way off topic; my fault.
  6. Johncornetflugel

Johncornetflugel New Member

I have had a Sebastian Buckley rose brass flugel for just over two years, bought secondhand on ebay but in "as new" condition with very little use. Initially the valves would stick if left for a couple of days and needed regular oiling. After about six months this ceased to be a problem as they bedded in and since then the valves have been fine. Occassionally there are slight tuning issues at the top end but that's probably down to me! (Using a DW4FL rather than the original mouthpiece). The only other problem which has occurred recently is the second valve guide has worn. Overall I'm very pleased with it and would rate it 8/10.
  7. sjs

sjs Member

It seems that these could be a bargain looking at the prices charged?