Student Finance Question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BigHorn, Apr 5, 2010.

1. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I know there are many university students and parents of students on here so perhaps you can help me with my question about student finance. (The useless directgov website makes it as clear as mud).

I have one daughter finishing her second year of a 5 year dental course at university and she gets a student loan based partly on our household income.

However I have another daughter starting uni in September. She to will go through the same application process and my household income will again be taken into account.

As I understand they both apply independently and I have 2 independent loan id aliases as parental support.

The question I have which I cannot seem to find an answer to is ; Is the amount of loan that each child will get affected by the fact that I now have the expense of 2 children to support through uni.

I will be even further stretched the year after when yet another daughter will be wanting my support through uni. :(

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    household income
    student loan based
    university students
    daughter
    independent loan id
  3. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I hate student finance. The system is appalling. It works great for you if your family is, to put it bluntly, not very well off. If you're rolling in money, you probably won't need it. However, if you're in the 'normal' bracket, yeah - you'll get a loan (ie. just enought to cover your accommadation...hopefully), but that's it. I am beginning to seriously panic about how I'm going to live off £13 a week come September.....

Anyway, in answer to your question - from what I understand, (and it's proper complicated...you need some sort of degree just to apply for finance now) - no. I don't think they do take into account other children. It seems to be every man for themselves.

Just goes along with the rest of it really - it's all pretty unfair!

4. Kjata

Kjata Member

Ha I was waiting for this thread to come up, hands up who hates it!!! *hand up*
    As far as i'm aware it doesn't matter (I have a brother at uni and I don't get any more money) but Student finance doesn't admit that conservatoires exist, so actually you think you have it bad....... :(

5. Kjata

Kjata Member

Ha I was waiting for this thread to come up, hands up who hates it!!! *hand up*
    As far as i'm aware it doesn't matter (I have a brother at uni and I don't get any more money) but Student finance doesn't admit that conservatoires exist, so actually you think you have it bad....... :(

6. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Wait till you start paying it back......

7. TrumpetNick

TrumpetNick Member

Make sure tha you have sufficient funds before starting a course. Few years ago I took a course at RNCM with insufficient funds and spending most of my time working and looking for additional funds on the go wasn't a pleasant experience. I still managed somehow to complete the course and learn enough for an year spent there, but I wasn't happy with the time spent in Manchester - I don't blame the RNCM staff, they have been very helpful. It can be very frustrating when you can't blame nobody, but yourself... [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  8. HBB

HBB Active Member

Really? I've been at a conservatoire for 4 years and they've never had a problem. And neither has anyone else at my conversatoire... Hmmmm. Facts. Straight? I think not.

9. Kjata

Kjata Member

I'm going to the RNCM, How did you get website to recognise it?
    Did you apply online or on paper?

10. HBB

HBB Active Member

I honestly didn't have a problem getting it to recognise it, although I applied when it was still with StudentsLoansDirect, not Direct.gov.uk?
    :confused:

11. Kjata

Kjata Member

Hmmmm, there's no reason why it should suddenly change!
    Anyone else had a problem? :confused:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    household income
    student loan based
    university students
    daughter
    independent loan id
  13. Kjata

Kjata Member

HURRRAHHHHH!!

I'm finally getting somewhere with student finance, and my halls application has been finalised!! :clap:

14. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Lucky bl00dy you.

I HATE it. HAAAAATE it!

15. floppymute

floppymute Member

In answer to the original question...
    I overheard a parent ask this exact question of the student finance officer on a recent interview day for my daughter at Essex University. This parent had the problem of twins going to university this autumn!
    The answer was that each child is assessed seperately and there is no consideration given to the number of siblings either already attending university or about to go at the same time.

16. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Thanks, I suspected that was the answer. Frankly I cannot see why all students can't borrow the maximum amount - after all they are all going to have to pay it back when they've finished their course.

17. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I am in a weird situation as well...because apparently all the nursing qualifications are changing from Diplomas to Degrees from next year, they haven't sorted out how they are going to be funded as of yet, so I can't find out if I'd even be allowed the funding (nursing is one of those subjects where there are no tuition fees and a bursary allowed), or if it is means-tested or whether it is open to everyone who is offered a place.

I haven't applied for the degree yet, since I haven't decided whether I want to wait until 2012 yet (when both of my children will be full time and properly settled)....

So confusing.....and not helpful in anyway.

18. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

My daughters friend is doing a degree in speech therapy which gets an nhs bursary - but they deducted it from the amount she could borrow on her student loan. She is therefore no better off whilst studying but obviously she won't have to pay it back.

That is another quirk of the whole system. Certain degrees associated with the NHS get bursaries but Medicine and Dentistry don't - and their students probably need it more as they have to study longer and need to buy more books / equipment.