Student cornet player wanted to practice along with player of similar standard.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by pabilo, Nov 6, 2013.

1. pabilo

pabilo New Member

I am a mature male cornet player - and have been teaching myself at home to read music and play the cornet for the past two years or so. I have made good progress in this time, but now feel that it would further advance my playing, and music reading, if I could rehearse alongside another player of a similar standard. This could be done with a view to improving playing technique/music reading/duos etc. Any such arrangement should advance the proficiency of both parties. and should prove to be an enjoyable and rewarding exercise.
    If anyone in the vicinity of N.E. Lincs (Gainsborough area) - or anywhere within a reasonably near travelling distance would like to contact me through the site - I would be very pleased to hear from you.

pabilo

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be easier, and probably more beneficial to simply find a band of an appropriate standard, and join it? You don't give any indication of your approximate standard of playing, but most training bands don't restrict membership to youngsters, and even a relatively inexperienced player can usually cope with 3rd cornet parts in a 4th section band, given a little guidance.

TBH, if you've been teaching yourself for a couple of years, I'd say you'd benefit more from finding a decent teacher than a practice partner.

3. pabilo

pabilo New Member

Student player etc.

Thanks for prompt reply. Had considered band option - but no brass bands in Gainsborough - pretty thin on the ground in Lincs. However, have been contacted out of the blue, by such a band 30 miles away with twice weekly rehearsals, and offering some training. Sounds good and if I don't get any positive result to my original ad. in next daay or so, will almost certainly go with them.
    Thaning you once more, and wishing you and your band all the best.

Kelvin.

4. phildriscoll

phildriscoll Moderator Staff Member