Stuck slides

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hellraiser, May 4, 2005.

1. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

I've just moved to play sop and the sop cornet is very nice apart from the fact the first and third valve slide are totally stuck! Obviously not been looked after well by previous holders of this fine instrument.

How do you suggest I get them unstuck?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    slides
    sop
    instrument
    holders
    sop cornet
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Take it to a qualified repair professional.

Trying to undo a truly stuck slide yourself is a ticket to severe damage. If you can't move the slide by hand pressure, you might try a little penetrating oil and then some hand pressure. But don't try to apply a lot of force - you can easily pull the welds apart or wrench the whole instrument out of kilter, which will be an even bigger repair bill.

I currently have two instruments at my local repair shop because someone decided that they knew how to pull slides and ended up pulling the curved portion of the slide away from the parts that go into the body of the instrument, where they are still stuck. It may require disassembling that portion of the instrument to fix - not a pretty prospect.

4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Yes. What he said - especially with sop. I hope you look after the poor thing better than its previous owner.

5. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

if it's not too bad, it can be possible to get the slides out by heating the outer bit and cooling the actual slide - tis difficult though and like they say, you can do more harm than good.
    hope you fix it :) my third slide is stuck already and the instrument was new in december! lol
    xx

6. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Yep, I'll take you up on your advice and send it to someone who knows how to repair these things. It's far too risky to sort it out myself. Cheers.

7. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

How you doing Rhods...
    I would suggest Paul Andrews ( Brass Toff - www.brasstoff.com) in Warrington,for any repairs , brilliant service , a great job and great price...the number is (01925)826927.
    I hope this helps.