Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, May 4, 2006.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Figured its getting to that time of year again, deadlines, exams, general dont want to work cos it's sunny etc etc. Just wondered how people go about dealing with their stress?

I have about a million assignments to finish (you think thats an exageration but it really isnt!) and ended up spending two hours laying in the middle of my housemates floor last night. Not very productive i know but i think it got a bit much and i needed some time out, why i chose the middle of the floor im not quite sure, but it seemed the right thing to do at the time!

What do you do?!!
    Last edited: May 4, 2006
  2. vonny

vonny Member

Kelly I empathise with you. I finish the pgce course in 3 weeks time (hopefully :)) and I have 2 assignments to complete. I have also got 28 hours of teaching to do, and to get my wbe file sorted. I am getting stressed just thinking about it, i even missed Tuesdays band rehearsal because I had 2 reports to finish for the Wednesday - which I did :).
    Now I am under more pressure because i am going on holiday in 2 weeks time, and my tutor as advised me to complete all requirements befopre I go:( It was only today that I actually realised how much time I have in order to complete this work and so I have tried to make a plan of action the best way I can. I know that sometimes it won't go to plan, but at least I have done a positive thing which will keep me on track. I know that I want to succeed, and I will succeed!
    Keep going, you'll do it:D

Yvonne x
  3. sugarandspice

I don't know how people manage to do the PGCE, how do you fit it all in a just a year?! I'm stacked out at the moment and my teaching course takes four years!

I need to get all my directed tasks done by next friday, (otherwise i can't go to blackpool)
    and then the final deadline is the friday before weston, but i'm not going to be able to celebrate properly (i e drink lots and lots) because i start teaching practice the following day! It's not fair :(

I've already had to turn down the chance to play at Blackpool as i just have too much to do, and am worried i will have to miss reheasals for Weston to fit it all in!

Bring on July, i am offically doing nothing in July!! Nobody interupt my nothingness!!
  4. persins

persins Member

My advise is to go to the pub!! I did that at lunchtime today to make the most out of pretending the summer was actually here!!
    My list of things going on is fairly standard for me:

Managing a Patch upgrade project to 4 SAP Systems
    Planning a full technical upgrade to an SAP System
    Reviewing operational processes for the team
    Providing consultancy on an SAP implementation project
    Practicing for a concert on Friday
    Practicing for the Masters
    Trying to buy a house
    Sorting out tickets for various London Irish games
    Trying to arrange a reunion of my old university football team

Not much really in the grand scheme of things!
  5. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I'm slightly less stressed now because yesterday I handed in my dissertation!! A whole week and a half early!! :clap: Blackpool kinda spurred me on to do that, as I'd have had to miss loads of rehearsals beforehand if I hadn't finished the work on time, and I don't enjoy myself when I don't know my part!

Now it's just revising and practising to do, although I'm still finding it really hard to motivate myself to do that!

Good luck, just visualise the party at the end (Blackpool here I come...) :guiness
  6. persins

persins Member

Good effort with the dissertation!! Mine was handed in in true style, 30 mins before the deadline!! Have a great time at Blackpool! Hope you get a result like last year!!
  7. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I know the feeling - being a trainee teacher is the worst! I have a maths assignment in on tuesday, three portfolios of ongiong work (supposed to show 2 yrs worth!) and a humanities assignment by Whits. The worst thing is that all the other so called students finish tomorrow and we still have lectures until the end of June!

So as part of my coping strategy I'm going out dressed as a She-ra tomorrow night! Hurray, roll on friday!!
  8. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I think you did the right thing by taking a time out. What you are doing is stressfull and may seem "impossible" at times but of course it isn't impossible because lots of people do the same thing and pass.

As long as you organise your time effectively and know when to take time out like you did before you'll be fine. If you have friends to talk to then talk to them, don't bottle up the stress and let it get to you. And don't forget to have fuin once in a while and don't feel guilty for having fun 99% of the time you've deserved it!
  9. Cornishwomble

!repeated post!
    Last edited: May 4, 2006
  10. sugarandspice

whats a she ra?
  11. sugarandspice

Awww, Mr Taylors being nice to me :D :) I do solomely swear never to mention the chairs or the fan incidents ever again........(until next time!) Thanks for your wise words Roy *ston* :)
  12. Cornishwomble

13. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

She-ra - Princess of Power...a superhero. She was He-man's sister. I have gold boots and everything! THat is my week's stress relief before hitting the books again on saturday!
  14. sugarandspice

was that meant to lead me to a microsoft page?
  15. Cornishwomble

nope try it again!
  16. sugarandspice

Ha that looks like fun! I had wonder women in my house on Saturday night, that was pretty random!
  17. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

My advice is get used to it if you are training to be in teaching :wink: At the moment I have deadlines for GCSE coursework (just sent off), AS practical plans for 3 sets of 20 students, vocational assignments for BTEC, GNVQ and mature student level 2 and 3 - which are also totally coursework based. All the vocational-based subjects are allowed re-submissions and hence I have to mark them all 2 or 3 times - and these are 30-60 page projects not a 3 page investigation. On top of this I have their weekly homeworks to mark and 25 hours of contact time a week (of fun-filled - super exciting and interactive lessons). Oh, I forgot, I also run extra revision sessions at this time as well! The bottom line (and I have found this much worse since moving into FE where it is all vocational assignments or A level students) is the level of marking is ridiculous. The bottom line is you NEVER finish, there is always piles lined up. As soon as you do one thing you gain about 2 or 3 others! One thing you learn very quickly in teaching is to organise your time. Prioritise your workload and know when you have to move onto the next item. Be disorganised at your own peril!
  18. My way of dealing with stres.....hmmmm....well put it this way....when there's revision to be done, I'm usualy found tidying my room/desk/sorting out wardrobe etc...anything to get out of what actually needs doing!
  19. six pints

six pints Active Member

i tell myself that this time next month itll all be over. but then, i think about that, and think this time next month it will all be over. and then i panic.
    im having very weird nightmares at the mo as well, including being lost in foreign countrys, being trapped in a lift with dr cox from scrubs, and only having four fingers. i think i might actually be going insane.
  20. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Now that i have a job that is constant deadlines, eg 8 weeks per planning application, 30 applications on the go at once, + pre-app advice + general communications I have come to realise that the deadlines i had at school and at uni weren't that bad really. At least there was always an end in sight then....

I think the only time I ever really got stressed at uni about work was when, a fortnight before my PostGrad Diploma dissertation due date it dawned on me that despite having had a year in which to start the project, I still hadn't. And I still passed. Just.

Personally I think that the exam culture being bred in schools nowadays is leading to a crazy kind of hyper stress in kids today where they believe that exams and coursework are the be all and end all of everything. Believe you me, they're not. My mum told me that one of my sister's friends had complained to her mum that the uni library wasn't open in freshers week. Oh. My. God. Study isn't everything and I think that is often forgotton now. I don't blame the kids, i blame the education system and the one-upmanship that parents seem to enter into more and more.

Amazingly you can fail your A-Levels and still get a good degree and a good job. I failed A Level maths spectacularly, ended up with 2 A-Levels (one of which was General Studies) and 1 AS Level and still managed to get a decent degree and post-grad diploma in Town Planning.

And contrary to popular belief, not getting straight A*s at GCSE is not a catastrophe, it just shows that you have a life.

My advice is chill out, go for a pint and watch neighbours twice a day. Work for no longer than 1 - 2 hours in a stint. Always keep your study in perspective,keep an eye on the bigger picture and for heaven's sake don't stop doing leisure activities in order to study. There is no excuse for not being able to give 4 - 6 hours per week to go to band or whatever. It's good to ditch the books once in a while and if if you're in such a position that even 4 -6 hours isn't free you're either

a) Way out of your depth with what you are studying and should consider you future seriously, if you can't even afford to spare 6 hours.
    b) Very very very very very unorganised.
    c) heading for a hyper-stressed mental breakdown.

Remember: Keep It Real! (And don't kid yourself that you can study with a hangover. If you're going out for the night don't pretend to yourself that "I'll get up early tomorrow to revise" cos it won't happen. Even if it does the knowledge won't stay there. A night out means scrubbing most of the following morning from a study timetable)

PS This is not a rant at anyone in particular, just towards society today in general!