Strange Requests

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by IYOUNG, Feb 15, 2005.

1. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Last night our bandmaster was approached by a member of the band with what turns out to be a strange request (well for us anyway). He asked if she could raise with the committee the issue of band members applauding fellow artists when they complete their contribution to a concert.

Our bandmaster was a tad perplexed and enquired what he meant?

The reply was ''In my view i think its derogatory to our fellow artists as it appears we are trying to generate a reaction for them by encouraging our audience to applaude'' and we shouldn't be seen to be doing that.

Well I must say I am totally perplexed here..................

Got me wondering what other strange requests have your band members put to their committees?

2. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Eh?Whats that mean? :confused:

3. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

It means that if members of a band start clapping when a member of their own band does a solo or something then the audience might only be clapping because everyone else is rather than because they wanted to clap.

I think.

I have to agree that is a tad strange to ask something like that. Someone in our school band once asked if they could use a cow bell to hit a triangle with, as a plectrum didn't work very well...

4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Good question, Yonnhee.

Answers on a postcard...

Will the Wonderer

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I have several takes on this, and no, I've never heard anything this strange in banding before. Only in Europe.

1) I think this sort of attitude is akin to political correctness gone mad. We live in a society where talent is to go unrewarded because of some supposed perception on the part of some idiot.

2) If any band I played for didn't acknowledge when I'd done a good job (solo, compo etc) I'd leave.

3) I'd rather have applause from my colleagues - whom I respect - than from anyone else - they know what they're clapping for ;)

4) I'd rather have band applause than none.

5) Whoever asked that question needs psychological help. Have them sectioned.

6. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

In was once asked by a euphonium player if I could stop being so nice at rehearsals and be a little tougher.

So I started being tougher on him. Apparently, that was not what he meant.........:redface:

7. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

What dya mean the answers on a postcard? :confused:

8. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

Philip, I witnessed a rehearsal where you were the guest conductor. After working through the entire piece by sections of the score with the full band, the bass trombonist asked, somewhat slyly, "Shouldn't the whole piece be played now?"

Without a moment's hesitation, you stared at him and responded, "Absolutely. Go ahead. We're listening." :)

9. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

just quit while you're behind yonhee

10. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Apologies if I have confused everyone, the whole question confused me and the Bandmaster!!!

I think what was meant was we shouldn't applaud other guest artists taking part in the concert as it could be considered as ''whooping it up'' to encourage a big reaction from the audience . Don't ask me why I agree with you all.....

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    issue of band members
    fellow artists
    bandmaster
    audience
    strange requests
  12. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

crazy! if we can't support groups we are doing a joint concert with :confused: how rude and arrogant is it to not applaud?

13. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

That changes nothing. If you can't support your guests, who can you support!

Everything I said still goes.

Lock em up and thriw away the key!!!!

14. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Ahhhhh, I get it! Yes, what's wrong with showing your appreciation when someones taken part in a concert? Maybe the person in your band was jealous because nobody claps for her?

15. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

My thoughts exactly!!

16. ........... so... when can we clap?

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I can maybe see the point of the request if the reaction can be seen to be a little OTT, especially in contesting situations. Acknowledgement by the band of the soloist's efforts is fair enough, but whooping, whistling etc. to attract the judge's attention is another thing altogether. I get fed up watching the situation after a band has played when the MD asks the soloists (in a test-piece scenario) to acknowledge any audience appreciation and the band goes mental to support. In a way, another reaction I shudder watching is players punching the air or doing something extravert after they successfully negotiate a tricky exposed passage during a performance. :eek:

18. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

Speaking from personal experience I know for a fact that at one of my band's gigs if we don't applaud our "fellow artistes" then there would be a lot of trouble....

It's polite and courteous to applaud a fellow perfomer. It has never ever struck me that we, as performers are simply applauding another to generate some audience feedback.

All sounds slightly strange (and yes, even somewhat bizarre!) to me to suggest otherwise.

19. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Surely as a fellow performer it is only right to applaude someone else's performance...I think it would be rude and dis-respectful not to.

Whether the audience claps or not is entirely up to them.

20. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Ive just figured out what all this means sorry I got well confused....

21. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

When both hands are empty, and are not required for duties where at least one hand is needed, (like driving, for example) and when you have not had such a skinful that your left hand might not meet its intended target, the right hand.

So, generally, I'm surprised there's ever ANY applause by the time the results are announced at a contest... :biggrin:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    issue of band members
    fellow artists
    bandmaster
    audience
    strange requests