strange practice room

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by adrian90s, Dec 31, 2008.

1. adrian90s

adrian90s Member

I do all my home practice outdoors (In a country lane) due to modern construction methods on new housing in which you can here next door's conversations. I usually do 1 1/2 hours in 2 sittings (standings!) in all weathers, and now the temp outside is -3c. Who else has a screw loose?

2. Beesa

Beesa Member

Aye, thou's got a screw loose alright lad, but p'raps not.

Read Arthur Taylor's book Labour & Love - the best bands used to practice in the open air.
  3. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Yeah - I do when I have the chance. Out on the moors when it's snowing is a fantastic acoustic, and when my car broke down on the M25 once on my way to an Imps rehearsal I took the Bass out of the boot and played behind some trees alongside the motorway while waiting for the recovery truck to arrive !
  4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

In 2003 to get some extra practise on A Kensington Concerto (1st section national finals) i took my baritone to work and played it in a butchers catering unit after id cleaned it down.
  5. dyl

dyl Active Member

Wouldn't it have been easier to clean your baritone before taking it to work?

6. Beesa

Beesa Member

A friend of mine use to work on the North Sea oil rigs and practised in one of the platform legs. Very echoey apparently.

One of our band used to take his rowing boat out to sea on a calm evening for a bit of peace and an unusual acoustic.
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Maybe the catering unit was dirty? :rolleyes:
  8. dyl

dyl Active Member

Oh dear! Maybe I'll try a bigger ;) next time.................. :rolleyes:
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Ian's good at leaving posted comments open to speculation! :p
  10. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

After I left my job with the Mahler Chamber Orchestra, I didn't have much on and a lot of bills to pay. I got a job working in Tie Rack in Dartford. Allowed an hour's lunch every day, I took my trombone to work and practiced in the stock room. Not too obscure until you realise the stock room was a lock-up on the 3rd floor of the multi-storey car park!

I got a lot of people knocking on the door wondering what it was and once some old bat called the police!
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

In my younger and keener days of playing, I was sad enough to tootle away on the last train back home after rehearsals. The train was always empty before it's first stop (about 15 mins away) and the guard didn't mind. I never understood the reason why I did that ... :oops:
  12. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

Happy New Year Adrian,

I never ever thought you had a screw loose, thanks for the memories!

13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Nah it only gets cleaned once a year my Baritone that is !!!!!!!!;)

I m lucky, both my neighbours are in their seventies and almost deaf ! Before they went deaf I drove onto the moors and did an hour in the car (quite a feat with a double bb sideways !:eek:
  15. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I knew trombones were weapons of destruction Duncan....:p:biggrin:
  16. adrian90s

adrian90s Member

Thanks David,

We certainly have some, some even printable! All the best to you.

17. tuba1974

tuba1974 Member

are you the man who sold up and left about 15 years ago:rolleyes:
  18. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

When I was first starting out we lived in a council house I used to practice in the field at the back, usually perched on a rock, with cattle gathered below.

For a while, I didn't do any home practice because I was constantly playing and then latterly, I practice in the bathroom (it's quite a large room) because, apart from the kitchen it's the only room not connected to next door.
  19. adrian90s

adrian90s Member

are you the man who sold up and left about 15 years ago:rolleyes:

Yes tuba guy,

I did a couple of years in Tenerife but forgot how to earn real money, So I came home, still did'nt pick up a trumpet for a total off about 14 years though.

20. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Well there you have it. Its all coming out now. Poor Steve Butler really shouldn't have won tmp saddo award!!!