Strange PM Received

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Saxysuzuki, May 4, 2007.

1. Saxysuzuki

Saxysuzuki New Member

I've just received the message below and have no idea who it is from, anyone who knows me would know that I don't log in on TMP very often (sorry). When I tried to respond to this person I got the message that he could not receive PM's! Anyone else had this happen to them?

I'm new here and just wanted to say "hi" :)

How's it going?

Edit: Link removed - can't be giving these spammers free publicity now can we? (dyl)
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2007
  2. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

yeh, think quite a few of us got that.... thought it looked a bit strange and didn't reply, and didn't follow the link, but I know a man that did! :)
  3. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

My wife got one of these too. Either somebody very friendly or with a liking for the ladeeeeez.
  4. Saxysuzuki

Saxysuzuki New Member

Hi Kimmi

Glad I wasn't the only one who got it, don't want hubby getting suspicious!! Mark says hi to you by the way.
  5. sonja

sonja New Member

i got this, didn't reply though, i thought it was a bit wierd
  6. jamieow

jamieow Member

I got it too - just deleted it .......and didn't follow the link either.
  7. cookie101880

cookie101880 Member

Maybe i'm stupid but i replied with a simple Hi. Maybe it's just a coincidence but for the last couple of days i've had to have my I.T. guy at work clean all the computers because of an unknown worm thats appeared!! Could this be related do you think?
  8. Goldie Horn

Goldie Horn Member

Yep, I got it too. So Mods, how many people got it then? Is there any way you can find out?
  9. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Sop Mark?! I didn't make the connection, how cool! :cool:

Was up in Yorkshire t'other day too!
  10. dyl

dyl Active Member

That's because the account is banned! Sometimes these spammers get through the system, even though we try and be as vigilant as we can in checking new accounts. Apologies to everyone who received one of these messages - you won't be getting any more from him/her/it.
  11. LynneW

LynneW Member

I got it as well, but as I thought it looked suspicious decided not to reply or click on the link (fortunately maybe)
  12. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Any PM's you receive are not 'buggy', but as is the case with all links in emails etc, never click on a link in a PM if you are uncertain as to its originator.

Ask for clarification from the person who sent it to you, or from one of the team who will always help.
  13. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I think I'd be a bit wary of anyone using the name "turing"
    Alan Turing devised the Turing Test, which is supposed to be able to tell you if the entity you are talking to is a computer or a human....
    I think that PM may contain a devious and rather nasty pun.
  14. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

You do? ;) So do I. :biggrin: And his computer still works. :tup
  15. onebandman

onebandman New Member

I got that message. I hope it hasn't harmed my computer because I actually quite liked some of what was on the link. Thought-provoking. Prompted me to find my books about Hinduism that I had while at university.
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I tried the link as I have heard something about it before and found it is associated to reincarnation and Buddhist teachings with hyperlinks and loads of quotes from famous people. Pictures are well chosen though!

17. Debra Smith

Debra Smith New Member

I also received this message. Just ignored it!
  18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- or delete it! I trawled through many other forums "attacked" by this spammer and decided on risk probability to see what all the fuss was about. I'll report back if any problems appear!
  19. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Like most spam, I honestly can't see what the fool was trying to achieve with this.
  20. babz

babz New Member

to annoy people.

Unless he/she/it was just a very friendly person.....
    or has evryone come to the conclusion that they are not?

I also got the message..and was a bit surprised some random person had emailed me.. but i decided to delete it.
    Too suspicous.