Strange Instrument Request

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by catto09, Apr 24, 2009.

1. catto09

catto09 Member

Hello - i am currently looking for a Boosey & Hawkes 967 Euphonium (the old globe stamp euphs), however, i would like one that is in relatively bad condition. The plan is to completely customise one of these euphoniums. I have done all the research, and as long as i can get one between £1,000 and £1,500 i should be able to do it for less than the cost of a brand new Euphonium.

2. Pete Watson

Pete Watson Member

Hi,
    If you manage to find a Euph I would recomend you send it to McQueens of Manchester http://www.mcqueens.com/
    I bought an Old Round Stamp Sov Horn that had been refurbed by them, it is superb!
    I see you live north of the boarder but it looks like they arrange carriage.
    Note, i have never dealt with them direct and have never been in the shop, just honest advice.:)
    Hope this helps.
    Pete

3. catto09

catto09 Member

thank-you, i have emailed them re. the entire project

4. weeble

weeble New Member

I've been into McQueens, we've had a Euphonium and an old trombone totally transformed - they're really good. I believe they also fixed up my tenor horn before I bought it, and it looks as good as a brand new one - apparently it needed quite a lot of work, not that you'd ever know!

5. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Just got my Flugel back from them today and I'm happier than a pig in poo with it! Its amazing! All the wee things that were dodgy about it have been addressed at my request and it looks and plays something incredible. Being north of the border myself I opted to drive down to visit a friend and took it in myself but had it overnighted back to me! My only critcism is the fact i found a pair of specs in the case that aren't mine so hope no-one's refurb suffers cos of it while i send them back to the techy who's lost his!!! :lol:

6. euphybeast

euphybeast Member

About how much does the refurb cost?

7. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I found it here

;)

8. catto09

catto09 Member

Yeah so £650 for the refurb itself - but i invisage around £1500 for the entire project

9. catto09

catto09 Member

Further to my first post - I am now urgently seeking a Boosey & Hawkes Round Stamp euph. Anything. Please, point me in the direction of anyone who's selling one of these!! Someone must have one lying around, or gathering dust in someone's band room?

10. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Try doing a search on Ebay, If you havn't already, you can save the search and the system will email you daily with new listings

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Strange Instrument Request
    Boosey & Hawkes 967 Euphonium
    brand new Euphonium
    old globe stamp euphs
    bad condition
  12. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

13. catto09

catto09 Member

14. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I must say I'd be keeping it just as it is , Looks Great. What more would you want to do to it ??

15. catto09

catto09 Member

If i were looking for something like that just to take and play, then yes - that would be ideal. But i'm actually going to be taking the sovereign and adding a trigger, updating the valve block, and adding accents to it. I wouldn't want to spoil such a beautiful looking instrument as the one listed on ebay

16. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

ah now that makes sence. as you say it is a beutiful looking instrument and would be ready to play straight out of the case.

17. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I check out ebay all the time , if I see something more suitable I'l post it here

18. catto09

catto09 Member

Cheers!