Strange Coincidences

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Anno Draconis, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Part of my job is to evaluate new machinery that my company is considering buying. As part of this role I went to see a demonstration of a GBC Laminating machine in Uttoxeter on Tuesday. As I was talking to the guy from GBC the conversation moved onto the pros and cons of satnav and I mentioned that I had found it very useful to get me to the centre of Blackpool on Sunday. He perked up and asked if I was there for the band contest. I said yes, he asked who I played for and how we'd done, etc., then I asked who he plays for.

Turns out he (Mike Norton, for those who know him) is a BBb player for Brighouse. The spooky part of it is, a month ago B&R played one of my pieces in the final of their 125 Composition competition. Mike played in the concert and remembered my piece (and was very nice about it, although that might be because he's trying to sell me a £30 grand machine!)

Cue lots of "small world" type philosophising. Anyone else got any weird coincidences?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    machinery
    part
    buying
    machine
    GBC
  3. fredders

fredders New Member

Ok well here goes with mine:

Me and my boyf (Aaron) met at Boarshurst march contest and were introduced by my sis in law and Melthams then sop player. Coincidence cos once upon a time they worked together. Then I found out that when my brother went on tour with Besses Boys in 1988 to Oz and they were greeted by Aaron's dad who was then head of music (or something) at the school where the boys were boarding during their stay, so my brother has already crossed paths with Aaron and his family. Oooh and speaking of Oz I'm born on Australia day...spooky!!.
    When my sister bought her car it was registered with a garage in Meltham even though it miles and miles away from Manchester where she lives.
    Then Aaron got a job in M/cr at the same place I work and started exactly 6 years to the day and date that I started!
    Its fate!!

4. Di

Di Active Member

*waves hand* me me

Steve and I had more or less packed up playing since the closure of our local band. :( I had borrowed my sisters sewing machine to make some new draylon covers for the seats/back of our three piece suite and the machine broke. I called in an engineer. On his way through the porch, he spotted my baritone. Ah, I see you have a baritone there, who do you play for? A little gob-smacked at someone recognising the instrument for what it is, I told him, only to find out that he was currently playing for a band conducted by the same chap we'd played under for several years. Pretty soon we were in the bandroom and members of the band. It was during this time that Vic was first given a horn and started to play. So, thank you broken sewing machine. :biggrin:

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The Salvation Army world, like the brass band world, is such that you often discover links with other people that you were unaware of. I attended the Wood Green Corps over the space of a couple of months, and on the final weekend there discovered that I was related by marriage to the Commanding Officers: Marjorie Dangerfield was the sister of Lawrence Brevitt, who was married to my Aunt Dodie! With the different surnames none of us had made the connection.

I've also bought things unbeknown on ebay from three members of my own family :oops:

6. timbloke

timbloke Member

I booked the pontins rooms a couple of years ago for some friends, including one who is at Old Silkstone. He asked me to book for some other OS players, including their solo trombonist + g/f. I did so and we trotted off to north wales. Half-way through saturday I had a strange feeling I'd met said g/f and enquired who she was/where she came from. It turns out she was solo cornet when I first started in banding some 15yrs ago and also had played trumpet alongside me a couple of times in local orchestras. So both having moved about 150miles north were connected through about 4 links.

7. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Went to my son's parents evening a couple of years ago and discovered Martin Battersby was his form tutor! His Head was Doug Blackledge.

Hence we spent most of our allocated time talking about bands (poor son)!

8. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Nanny Ogg turned up to our band a few months ago and I heard the word Shropshire mentioned. I asked her whereabouts and it turned out she used to play for Wem and Jackfield, after I did, but at the same time as Jessop-Smythe.
    BMB
    xx

9. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

When NYBBW toured Norway in 1990 the coach had to stop at a garage in the middle of some godforsaken glacier strewn mountain to get a new headlamp bulb - only to find that the guy who came out to sell us the bulb played Baritone at Eikanger

10. Steve

Steve Active Member

One of the girls at Raunds was studdying at Sheffield Uni and had just started her 2nd year. A few days after the Nationals last year I got a phone call at about 3am from her telling me about a guy she had been sharing a house with for a year who just happened to have been one of my best mates at school from 11-16.

7 years after last seeing each other we spent about an hour on the phone after a bunch of students were discussing what they got up to at the weekend. Small world.

11. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Well its such a small world, i was chatting to someone I went to uni with and it turns out they know loads of people i do, people ive met since leaving university, including my brother in law to be, very very small world.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    machinery
    part
    buying
    machine
    GBC
  13. winterman

winterman Member

I had a wierd one when I went off to University many moons ago..

Living in halls for the first year (and only year I must add), I arrived at the Halls of Residence on the Sunday before Induction Week to find just 3 others in the building, one of whom was to be my new neighbour on the corridor for the next year.

Introducing ourselves with the usual name, course, town of origin stuff I found out that he had actually started at one of my old schools (we left to go to London) in the exact same class I had been in one week after I left the school, we had never met! Both a bit freaked out for a while we went off to the union bar (as you do) and became solid friends comparing "old" friends and stuff as tho we had known each other for years.

How freaky is that! Made for a cracking year tho as all my old school mates came up to visit him and got the same shock finding me living next door, talk about parties!