Story for "curious"

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by PeterBale, Mar 26, 2003.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I have just read the posting from "curious" where he admits to being an accountant, and I could not resist passing this one on:

Once upon a time there was a shepherd looking after his sheep on the side of a deserted road. Suddenly a brand new Porsche screeches to a halt. The driver, a young man dressed in an Armani suit, Ray Bans, a Tag Heuer watch, Cerutti shoes, tailor-made mauve shirt, with a Boss tie, gets out and asks the shepherd, 'If I can guess how many sheep you have, can I keep one?'
    The shepherd looks at the large flock of sheep and says, 'OK'.
    The young man connects his laptop to his mobile phone-fax, enters the NASA Website, scans the field using his GPS, opens the database linked to 60 Excel spreadsheets, filled with logarithms and pivot tables, then prints out a 150-page report on his hi-tech mini printer. He studies the report and says to the shepherd, 'You have 1,586 sheep.'
    The shepherd replies, 'That's correct. You can have the pick of my flock.'
    The young man packs away his equipment, looks at the flock and puts one into the boot of the Porsche.
    As he is about to leave. the shepherd says, 'If I can guess your profession will you return the animal to me?'
    The young man thinks for a minute and says, 'OK'.
    The shepherd says, 'You're an accountant.'
    The young man says, 'Correct! How did you know?'
    The shepherd replied, 'Simple. First, you came here uninvited. Second, you charge me a fee for something I already knew. Third, you don't understand anything about my business. Now can I have my dog back?'

2. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Brilliant Peter..........loved the story.....however I suspect that Selwyn will have heard it before LOL :lol:

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've just realised I've posted this twice - I thought I had put in under Random Chat and Off-topic, and when I couldn't find it, I posted it again. Sorry for taking up all your valuable space, and for confusing everyone!