Storing addresses on computer

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by CLAIRE SPONG, Mar 30, 2007.

I am just compiling an address and phone number list for our band.
    The plan is to store this on computer, but I have a suspicion that I heard something in the news a couple of years ago about it being illegal to store a list of other peoples addresses on computer unless you have express permission from these people to store their addresses on computer due to privacy laws or something.
    Am I right in this thinking or am I just going mad? :confused:
    I can't find anything relating to it on a web search!

If I need to I can add a signature box onto the form for permission but it means re-printing them!
  2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It may be covered by the Data Protection Act, details of which can be found here
  3. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

How about keeping it on a memory stick?i have one for all my corework is school there great! you can pick them up really cheap on the internet now!
  4. KMJ Recordings

AFAIK, if the Data Protection Act applies, it doesn't matter how you store them it's just the fact that you are storing them that necessitates the permissions.
  5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I'm fairly sure you also have to put a disclaimer on all forms requesting such information about how the information is going to be used (a bit like a privacy statement on a website) and also have to state what security measures are in place to protect peoples' data.

On a small database like yours I'm not certain what rules might apply. I also wonder whether you would have to have insurance for loss caused by unauthorised access to your data. (I don't think it is covered by a band's normal public liability type insurance.)
  6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Correct. PDAs, memory sticks and Blackberrys are all included in DTI's latest Data Protection Policy.

How about using your mobile phone? You can record the phone numbers, email addresses, addresses etc on there.

What I've never established is whether personal address books on email systems are exempt or not. If they are, just compile YOUR personal contacts on there, and then create a band list.

What a minefield! :eek:
  7. winterman

winterman Member

I don't know practically anything about this but I did find this webpage which although states they are not official gives their insight onto the subject.

It does also mention a free training course which certain voluntary, charitable and non-profit organisations can go on which be of benefit. Maybe that course could be one the regional commitees could enquire about, or the BFBB, and feed back necessary guidelines to member bands as they did with Child Protection.
  8. DavidSmith37

DavidSmith37 New Member

I'm no expert on this by I have contact management software on my works laptop as do millions of other users across the globe. I happen to use ACT which is basically a database and I have literally hundreds of contacts on there including their name, title, company name, mail address, email addresses, phone numbers, fax numbers, et al. All I can suggest is that when I installed the software there was a terms and conditions page that pops up before you install any software and somewhere in the small print there are probably terms relating to this.
    I even have a desktop scanner that reads the business cards and automatically populates the relevant fields in ACT.

I imagine all band secretary's have such lists of members and contact numbers.
  9. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Being a 'works' laptop, your employer presumably has all the necessary clearances for this information to be stored on their machines. (Difficult to see how they could carry on their business otherwise...;) )

Data held 'personally' for personal use is, I believe, exempt - so of you store the 'phone number and address of the local kebab shop on your PDA, you're probably OK (although it's a while since I had anything to do with the DPA, so I may be wrong... but let's face it, PDA or back page of diary, what's the difference? - apart from [possibly] in the eyes of the law:rolleyes:)

Clubs/bands etc fall into the area in the middle, being neither business or personal, but the advice I was given at one time was to inform members that data would be held electronically (i.e. PC or similar), and offer them the option of refusing to supply the data, or for their records to be kept manually - in other words, on a bit of paper.
  10. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

IIRC, the original DPA included Hollerith (80-column) punched cards, paper tape and mag tape.

Those were the days...:oops:
  11. DavidSmith37

DavidSmith37 New Member

Unless you dropped a whole deck of punched cards and had to put them back in the right order!!!
  12. KMJ Recordings

Isn't that what office juniors and / or Summer students were for? ;)
  13. ekdavies

ekdavies New Member

You don't need to register under the data protection act to maintain a list of members of an organisation. Technically you do if you retain a list of friends, fund raisers, former members etc The requirement to register exists regardless of how that information is stored ie paper, card index, memory stick, hard drive etc. Registration is relatively simple and costs about £100 (based on my recollections). You are also required to take reasonable and appropriate steps to protect personal information (regardless of whether the organisation is registered under the data protection act or not). For instance, if you retain more information than one can find in a telephone directory or election register such as the bank account details for membership subscriptions, then if you can you should encrypt and password protect such information on your PC - especially if its a laptop. (Windows XP professional file encryption should be adequate).
  14. NeilW

NeilW Member

Technically, the act now applies to a written piece of paper in its latest revision (which I think was 2004)! So lots of groups are probably in contravention.

It got around people printing out data the reading it back in again when they wanted it. Also large, older, collections of date in Roladexes / Filing systems etc.

Probably the simplest approach is just to ask the band if anyone objects to their details being held on computer - but stress it is purely for band business and use (i.e. it won't be used for selling them stuff). You could print out a form and get them to fill it in with some appropriate words on the bottom....

15. DavidSmith37

DavidSmith37 New Member

Not if you were a trainee computer operator in the late seventies no :) and you daren't bend any!