Stone Town Band vacancies

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by Stone Town, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Stone Town

Stone Town New Member

Required:
    We are a friendly and enthusiastic 4th section band (presently non-contesting) in Stone, Staffordshire and are looking for players to strengthen our band further. We currently have vacancies for Cornets (front/back row), 1st Baritone, Bb Bass and tuned Percussion.
    We welcome any other players of any age or experience to come and join our ranks.

If you are interested please give our chairman/deputy conductor Dave Chapman , a call on 07768 781159 , email chair@stonetown.org.uk or come along to one of our rehearsals. We rehearse on Fridays from 08:00 – 10:00pm at The Frank Jordan Centre, Stone, Staffordshire, ST15 8NA.

We look forward to seeing you.

2. Stone Town

Stone Town New Member

3. Stone Town

Stone Town New Member

Come on there must be players out there not playing for anyone who fancies a blow on a Friday night.

All ages and abilities accepted.

Come along and join our happy band as we move onwards and upwards.

4. Stone Town

Stone Town New Member

Stone Town Band under the conductorship of Graham Randle and Chairman David Chapman have for the first time since 1996 competed at a prestigious event (Whit Marches 2010). Even though the band has grown in numbers we still require the following to complete the bands line-up, Cornet (Front/Back Row), Baritone, Euphonium, Bb Bass and Tuned Percussion.

If you are interested please give our chairman/deputy conductor David Chapman, a call on 07768 781159, email chair@stonetownband.org.uk or Jason Mottram (Administrator) on 07900467529, email info@stonetownband.org.uk or come along to one of our rehearsals. We rehearse on Fridays from 08:00 – 10:00pm at The Frank Jordan Centre, Stone, Staffordshire, ST15 8NA

5. Graham6573

Graham6573 Member

I can vouch that this is a friendly and VERY enthusiastic band - but then again, I would say that wouldn't I ? ;)

The band is progressing well and has just competed at the Tameside Whit Friday contests. Playing Glemdene we were placed 39 / 50 overall, beating several regularly contesting bands - not bad for a first attempt eh? We are currently looking at entering Entertainment contests later this year.

As stated in the previous posts, rehearsals are once a week on Friday at the Frank Jordan Centre in Stone, and are very well attended - regularly up to 30 players and sometimes more.

We currently have one Kit Percussionist, and in order to do justice to the pieces in our library that I'd like to attempt, I need a tuned percussion player (or 2 if I'm being greedy).

We have 5 on the front row, 6 regular horn players, and 5 trombones - therefore a 3rd Euph player would not go amiss - but that IS being greedy!

We operate an open door policy, so if you're free on a Friday night then why not give us a try - just email or phone Jason or Dave (see previous posts for contact details). I can promise you a friendly welcome and a good musical workout at rehearsal :tup

See you Friday ?!

6. Stone Town

Stone Town New Member

Stone Town Band Vacacies

Required:
    We are a friendly and enthusiastic 4th section entertainment contesting band in Stone, Staffordshire and are looking for players to strengthen our band further. We currently have vacancies for a Bb Bass and tuned Percussion players.
    We welcome any other players of any age or experience to come and join our ranks.

If you are interested please give our chairman/deputy conductor Dave Chapman , a call on 07768 781159 , email chair@stonetown.org.uk or come along to one of our rehearsals. We rehearse on Fridays from 08:00 – 10:00pm at The Frank Jordan Centre, Stone, Staffordshire, ST15 8NA.

7. Stone Town

Stone Town New Member

3rd Cornet and 2nd Percussionist Required

Stone Town Band suprisingly have a vacancy for a back row 3rd cornet player and 2nd percussionist to join their band of 32 players so as to strengthen the band in time for this years concerts and contests.

If you are interested in getting involved with the band, who in their first year back competing came 39th at Whit Marches and won their section at Bolsover Festival of Brass. Then contact either Jason Mottram (Administrator) on 07900 467529 or email jrmottram@btinternet.co.uk or David Chapman on 07768 781159 or email chair@stonetownband.org.uk

8. Graham6573

Graham6573 Member

Did we mention we're now contesting?

Following our success at the Bolsover Festival of Brass, the band has decided to register and compete in the 4th section for 2011. We intend doing a few contests this year, including Whit Friday (playing Knight Templar) and Bolsover again together with an own choice test piece contest (probably playing A Malvern Suite) and others.

We have quite a large band, and I could re-shuffle to fill the only 2 vacancies we have (3rd cornet and percussion), but I thought I'd give you the chance of experiencing this rare opportunity. :biggrin:

Don't be shy, give Jason or Dave a call. I look forward to seeing you at a rehearsal soon.

Graham :tup

9. Graham6573

Graham6573 Member

Just a quick update .....

..... 31 players at rehearsal tonight, a big thank you to Alex, Marie and Ron who guested tonight - you're welcome anytime.

However, as a temporary measure Jason (our Band Administrator) has kindy dropped from second man down to third cornet to help out. I'm sure that he can't wait to get back on the front row, and Phil must be feeling pretty lonely as our only percussionist.

After several years away from regular playing, even I'm registering with the band as a player and could possibly end up swapping one stick for two! So come on boys and girls, who's going to fill the back row cornet and tuned percussion vacancies?

If the last 12 months is anything to go by (39/50 at Tameside Whit Friday and Un-registered section winners at Bolsover), our first year in the 4th section is going to be something special. This is your chance to be a part of it.

See you at rehearsal,
    Graham :D

10. Graham6573

Graham6573 Member

Another update ...

... 32 players as we tried out a different venue for our rehearsal last night, a big thank you to Alex, Dave and Marie for guesting with us. We had a slight issue with instruments as I don't think anyone anticipated having 6 bass players turn up! A quick trip back to the bandroom to resurrect a mothballed big bell Imperial EEb solved the problem.

However, the previous problem still remains, we're still looking for another back row cornet and a tuned percussionist. Our first "test piece" contest is only a couple of months away and it would be nice to have players settled in by them. So come on, why not give us a try?

Please give Dave a call, or drop him an email (see previous posts for details) - he'd be pleased to hear from you.

See you at reherasal.

Graham :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Percussion.
    FONT=Arial
    Stone
    Stone Town Band
    Dave Chapman
  12. Graham6573

Graham6573 Member

Update 22.02.11

Friday evening saw our worst turnout at rehearsal this year, with only 27 players including 3 guests (nice to see Dave, Marie and Ron once more). Some of our younger members were involved with a school band concert, and others players were away through work and other various commitments. So from 6 basses last week down to 3 and 4 troms down to 2, some sections of the band were down to more usual lower section banding numbers. Still a good musical workout was enjoyed by all and a good physical workout was endured by yours truly!

Jason did a sterling job on the back row, but I know he can't wait to return to a seat on the solo cornet bench. Some of the pieces we practiced would also have been enhanced by the addition of tuned percussion - so come on people, help me out! If you are or know a cornet player and/or a percussionist that may be interested in joining a progressive but still very friendly band, please get in touch with Dave (see previous posts for details). As ever, he'd be only too glad to hear from you.

See you soon,
    Graham ;)

13. Graham6573

Graham6573 Member

Another update .....

..... last rehearsal - another 27 player turnout, well it is half term!

Good to see Chris (the father of one of our two Bass Troms) at rehearsal despite what must be a taxing run in to the area contests, as he is a player with one of the Midland Area's First Section bands. Also a welcome return to Alan on trombone, who left us for the bright lights of Salford (University - not Old Trafford) this Autumn. Also joining with us was Henry (Eb bass) and Alan (along just for a listen this time), 2 very good friends of mine who do tremendous work in cancer/lukemia charity collections over the Christmas period - the only time I'm now pursuaded to pick up a brass insrument. :tongue:
    Not forgetting of course Marie, who is now almost a regular. (Note to self - must put a registration form in front of her soon!)

Tonight we had no second cornets (sounds like a Precious Little line off Come Fly With Me - "I got Noooo second carnets"). Nic was away rehearsing for the areas with Rode Hall and Leah was away as it's half term. Still the Third cornets did a sterling job, as we ran through some proposed concert and contest pieces. Jason is doing an admirable job supporting Ken on the back row, although I'm sure he'd be happier with his more familiar seat on the front row. There must be someone out there who would like to experience one of my rehearsals in the reasonable comfort of a third cornet seat!? Also that exclusive 2nd / tuned percussion seat (stand) is still available!

So if you're a cornet / tuned perciussion player and are up for it, please get in touch with Dave (see previous posts) and come alomg to see us soon. I'll even offer a money back guarantee that should you not enjoy the rehearsal I'll personally refund all the money we charge you for the experience!

Regards,
    Graham ;)

14. Graham6573

Graham6573 Member

Another update ...

... numbers back up to 32 this week. With 4 players away due to holidays and other commitments, it was good to see some of our regular guests in the band room again. We also welcomed back Mark, one of our horn players who had been working away. That made seven players on the horn bench (and nearly a balanced sound with the front row)!

Friday marked another step on our return to 4th Section contesting. After initially searching around for a venue for a second weekly rehearsal, we have now agreed to move lock, stock and barrel to the local Scout hall. On the back of this, at very short notice, I called our second rehearsal for Sunday at the Scout hall!

Just 2 months to go before the Buxton contest and I'd still like to fill those two vacancies - 3rd cornet and tuned percussion. I'm sure there must be players out there just looking for a progressive, friendly 4th section band like Stone Town!

Just so we can be sure you come to the right rehearsal room, please give Dave a call (see previous posts on this thread for details); he'll be glad to let you know where we will be!

See you soon,

15. Graham6573

Graham6573 Member

Update - Rehearsal 11 March 2011

Well, 28 players at rehearsal this evening. Glyn our Sop player made an unexpected appearance as he was supposed to be on holiday in Spain! I think the thought of missing two weeks of band was just too much for him, so complete with an enviable tan he resumed his rightful place at the top end of the back row. We also welcomed back Paul on horn, returning after a serious illness to bring the "middle of the band" numbers back up to 7 tenor horns (chosing just three for the Buxton contest is going to be very difficult), but that's a nice problem!

Tonight we did some more prep work for our first concert of the season which is in only 4 weeks time, and some more work on the Buxton test piece - still a long way to go, but then again, with 7 weeks still remaining, it would be just as bad to peak too soon.

I think that Jason is now resigned to doing the contest on 3rd cornet (unless you want to help him out by volunteering your services), and I'll need to move a couple of extra players to the percussion section in the very near future - again, the services of an experienced tuned percussion player would be most welcome. As the saying goes, your services would be thankfully received and faithfully applied.

As ever, please make contact with Dave our Band Chairman (see previous posts), and he'll be only too happy to pass on rehearsal details or answer any questions you may have concerning the band, the state of the UK educational system, the art of instrument repairs, or life in general!

See you soon,

16. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

I love reading your posts Graham! Glad the band's so healthy at the moment! :D

17. rookiebari

rookiebari Member

Ey Yup. I'd love to come and have a blow with you, when I'm back up in Stoke sometime. Good luck finding your players

18. Graham6573

Graham6573 Member

Fiona,

thank you for your kind words. A cornet player and a free spirit I see! From previous messages I can see that you may have an interest in seeing Stone Town Band progress. If I'm right in my assumption, perhaps you would give me a call to see how we can advance the project which is to make Stone the premier band in the Stoke area - I don't think we have that far to go! My number is 07980 529391.

Rookiebari - give Dave or I a call when you're next in the area on a Friday evening or a Sunday. We'd be glad to see you at reherasal. Our baritone section has recently undergone a bout of the baby disease! One has been off and has just returned after delivering another potential bands person, and an expectant father has just bowed out for a while to support his spouse in their imminent happy event!

Regards,
    Graham

19. johnys

johnys New Member

Keeping an eye on Stone Band from South West France pleased to see you going from strength to strength, i may turn up one day to fill that 3rd cornet, make a change from Sop, still keeping my lip in down here
    John

20. Stone Town

Stone Town New Member

Required:
    We are a friendly and enthusiastic 4th section contesting band in Stone, Staffordshire and are looking for players to strengthen our band for the coming season. We currently have vacancies in the following positions: Front Row Cornet, Eb Bass, Euphonium, 2nd Trombone, Bass Trombone and tuned Percussion.
    We welcome any other players of any age or experience to come along and join our ranks.

If you are interested in coming along then please give our chairman David Chapman , a call on 07768 781159 or Sylvia Mallory on 07900467529 or email us at info@stonetownband.org.uk. We rehearse on Monday's 07:30 - 09:00pm and Fridays 08:00 – 10:00pm at Stone Scout Hall, Westbridge Park, Stafford Street, Stone, ST15 8QW.

www.stonetownband.org.uk
    www.brassbandwiki.com/index.php?title=Stone_Town_Band

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011