Stolen Flugels, Barnsley 24/01/2005

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by yorkshirepuddin, Jan 25, 2005.

1. A friends car was stolen last night, containing one Yamaha flugel (belonging to barnsley building society) and one signature flugel (belonging to Killamarsh Silver band). Car was stolen between 8.15pm and 9.30pm from the car park of the Worsborough Welfare during a rehearsal.
    I don't know to reg. of yamaha, but will find out, and if Tubafran sees this, he will put the Signature reg on.

So what i'm asking is for bands people in the barnsley/sheffield area to keep an eye out in local second hand shops, pawn shops and cash converters etc... for these instruments, it would be very much appreciated.

2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear about this, obviously the sooner you can get the registration numbers up here the better. I'm going to make this a sticky thread, as we have done with similar reports of stolen instruments in the past.

I hope you recover them both quickly and undamaged.
  3. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

The car was found by Police today on a housing estate in Barnsley, however by the time the recovery vehicle got there, it had gone again!! doh!

The whereabouts of the Flugels (and the car!) are still unknown, the Police were unable to comment as to the contents of the car when they found it (and lost it again).

My car was parked next to the stolen one, thank god I've got a crooklock (and was playing my bass at the time!)
  4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Flugel Details

The Killamarsh flugel was a Signature s/n F4626 and checking with our band sec. apparently was not covered for theft whilst in an "unattended vehicle".

As a separate issue perhaps all bands should check their existing cover - we will be changing ours now. OK to leave it in a room - not OK to leave it in a locked car:-? . After rehearsal we all put our instruments in the cars and then go off to the pub for a couple of hours; instruments whilst we are in the pub no longer covered for theft.
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... good information there to know! where would we be without you Tubafran? :p
  6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Flugel Details

The BBSBB flugel is a Yamaha and the s/n is 002471

The local music shops in Barnsley have been notified of these instrument details.
  7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Thats a very good point - I know our band insurance cover doesn't cover instruments left in cars overnight. It may be worth asking your own car insurance people nicely - as boot contents are normally covered with car insurance, but they might gag at a claim for over £1000 though. Anyway I really hope the car and instruments are recovered (again!) soon, and the scallys that stole it are found and delt with properly.

(self mod. on what I would really want to happen to them...)
  8. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

Sorry to disappoint but there tends to be a very low limit on Personal Effects under car insurance policies - £100-£250 is pretty standard.
  9. Fergus

Fergus Member

Firstly, I'm really sorry to hear of this and hopefully you'll get instruments returned without too much damage.
    On the topic of insurance, I own my tenor horn and its not covered as part of my car insurance when left inside unattened. I have however got a separate policy attached to my household insurance called "When I leave my home" policy. This means that should it be stolen from my car I can,t claim on my car insurance but I can however claim through my contents insurance. My policy is with Norwich Union. Hope this may be of some help?
  10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks for that and I believe the car driver has a similar policy. Still no news on the whereabouts of the car and the instruments. What is annoying is that having told the police about the instruments in the boot they made no attempt to recover them from the car (assuming they were still in there) when it was found. Failing that we could have arranged for someone in the band to get to the car pretty quickly to check. Fair assumption that when they say "its being recovered" then that's what they are doing; they must know that if a car's been stolen once - locks broken and ignition bypassed - then fair chance it's an easy target for the next scally to practice his trade.
  11. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Yeah - I noticed on mine here that it was €400 so no leaving flugels or cornets in the car for us...
  12. Insurance

Who are you insured with? I have my own instrument which I insured with Brass Band Insurance Services, they charged me half of what everyone else quoted and my flugel is insured to be left unattended in a properly secure vehicle - I know this for definate because I asked at the time of taking out the policy! I'm not sure how cheap they are for covering a whole set of instruments, but I would imagine they're still cheaper than the majority of conventional insurance companies, and they definately cover instruments in cars!
  13. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Perhaps you should post the information re the stolen instruments on this site also alternativel perhaps John would consider having this facility on "The Mouthpiece" for thought?
  14. Young Virtuoso

Young Virtuoso New Member

Stolen Instruments

Sorry to hear about your stolen instruments guys, it's truly shocking what's going on!:(
  15. brass journo

brass journo Member

You can try making a claim through your household insurance but please all tmpers - please tell everyone you know not to leave instruments in cars as they are rarely insured! Especially those people that leave instruments in cars over night. Our band are regularly reminded about this - especially around contest time.

I hope you manage to find the instruments and hope it doens't cause too many probs before the Areas. Good luck!
  16. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Fortunately our flugel was a spare on loan to Yorkshire Pudding, who was returning it to our band on the night it got stolen and Barnsley's flugel player has her own, she was returning the band's flugel to band after it had been in for a repair. Unfortunately both these were in her car which got stolen from outside the band room. The car has only been seen once and not been seen since so it's either burnt out or it's become a pool car for scallies. No question that it's now very unlikely that they will ever be found.
  17. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Yeah, probs some scrubber's burnt it out in some woods somewhere. Either that or we'll see it on the next series of "Traffic Cops" getting chased by half of S.Yorks police through Hoyland!

18. It wouldn't be a long chase - only a 1.1 litre engine!