Stocksbridge Band Club 2009

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by brassintheed, Jan 6, 2009.

1. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

It's amazing how quickly it comes round! Stocksbridge Band Club is returning to Niagara Conference and Leisure Centre in Sheffield for 2009.

We're welcoming some new bands to the season this year alongside some old favourites.

If you're not familiar with the band club yet, entry is free. Yes... FREE! All we ask is that you push the boat out a little on the raffle and very popular 'key to the box' to help support the bands that give up their Sunday nights to provide you with such fantastic entertainment. You never know, you might even win something too!

First Concert - 25th January 2009 - Emley Band

Doors open at 7.30pm and the concert starts at 8pm.

These are fantastic and well attended evenings of musical entertainment. Stocksbridge Band isn't sponsored, and can only keep the band club going by your support, so spread the word to keep it the best band club in the area.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2009
  2. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Dates so far:

25 January – Emley Band

01 February – Whitwell Band

08 February – Strata Band

15 February - No Concert

22 February – Stocksbridge Brass Group

01 March – Killamarsh Band

08 March - No Concert - Yorkshire Area Contest

15 March – Thurlstone Band

22 March – Worsborough Band

29 March – Stannington Band

05 April - Barnsley Building Society Band

12 April - No Concert - Easter Sunday

19 April - United Co-op Milnrow Band

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2009
  3. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

(sorry about the strange format - got a phone call in the middle of edit and couldnt change it!)

4. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Always a really good series of concerts. Really looking forward to playing twice and hopefully going and listening quite a lot.

5. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Looking forward to our (and my) first appearance at the club. I've been lucky enough to dep once or twice, i'm looking forward to opening this years season, I'll post our program in advance when it's settled. Busy trying to find a couple of piece's a room full of bandsmen won't have heard before!!

6. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Moses Get Down, Trad, Arr. Gott
    O Fortuna, Carl Orff
    The Ploughboy, Trad, Arr. Siebert, BBb Bass Solo
    Peace, John Golland, Euph Solo
    Intermezzo, Mascagni, Arr. Langford, Cornet Solo
    Share my Yoke, Joy Webb, Arr. Ivor Bosanko, Trom Solo
    Barber of Seville, Rossini, Arr. H Hawkins
    The Battle Hymn of the Republic, Trad, Arr Broadbent
    Dem Bones, Trad, Arr. Langford, Trom Feature
    Birdland, Joe Zawinul, Arr. Sandy Smith
    Teddy Bears Picnic, John Bratton, Arr. Mackenzie
    Fat Bottom Girls, Queen, Arr. Harper
    Conquest of Paradise, Vangelis, Arr. Fernie
    American Civil War Fantasy, William Himes
    Sing Sing Sing, Prima, Arr. Woodfield

Will all be on show This week at Stocksbride Band Club! as the Emley take the stage, looking forward to a good night. . . See you all there.

7. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Looks like a really enjoyable programme. And plenty of stuff which is new to the concerts, so should be a great start to the season :)

8. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Thanks, We're hoping so. It's been a really pleasant start to the year, getting the cobwebs and turkey out with no test piece in sight as yet!! There's plenty in there from our winning performance at Whychavon Entertainment contest, plus we've got two salvation army published numbers, Moses, Get Down and American Civil War fantasy, that are great arrangements and i've never heard or seen anyone doing them!

I've played before helping out the odd band, but i'm looking forward to conducting for the first time. Although i'm gonna have to work on the program notes this week, i'm feeling the pressure already!

9. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

You're feeling the pressure?? I'm bricking it!! :-?

10. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Aye, we're an intimidating lot... ;)

I'm really looking forward to Band Club this year, my attendance last year was a bit slack due to the imminent arrival of babby_jimbob, but I'm raring to go this year. There's some new bands, including yourselves, this year, so it should be cracking!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Whitwell
    girls
    good room
  12. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Ok, first night of band club tonight. Elmley Band. Hope it's a good audience to welcome them on their first time.

13. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Or even Emley!

14. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Cracking concert tonight from Emley that's got the Band Club season off to a flying start. Even babby_jimbob enjoyed it!

Nice to meet 2MD and ploughboy and listen to them singing about teddy bears as well...!

15. gawber

gawber Active Member

You needn't have worried you did a great job.

I'm sure there was something for everyone in that programme. I especially enjoyed Cavalleria Rusticana, it's always been one of my favourites.

Ploughboy's a meanie though making you stand up for the whole of the 2nd spot! :eek:

16. Hilary Mateer

Hilary Mateer Member

Emley Concert

Great concert - I really enjoyed it. A good program with lots of entertainment and some fine soloists.
    I can tell why Emley have been doing so well at entertainment contests recently. :clap:
    Well done Gary - and thanks for helping us out last weekend :)

17. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

ditto all the above. really enjoyable concert. some great numbers. teddy bears picnic was inspired :)
    Looking forward to having emley (i got it right this time!) back next year.

18. 2nd man down

Thank you, as you probably gathered from my stumbling through The Barber of Seville :oops: it took some serious nerve calming in the interval to compose myself.

Glad you enjoyed it, thank you!

Everyone in the band enjoyed the job too (it was a bit warm tho..), glad it went down well.

19. 2nd man down

Nice to meet you too Mr Jimbob. Cute (and unbelievably well behaved) little babby jimbob too! :biggrin:

20. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Next Concert Sun 1st February 2009

This sunday (1st Feb) sees the 2nd concert in the 2009 season.

Whitwell Brass Band are a Derbyshire based 4th section band and another newcomer to Stocksbridge Band Club. We're looking forward to their concert under Musical Director David Fretwell.

21. 2nd man down

Enjoy it Whitwell. It's a good room to play in and an appreciative crowd. Good luck boys and girls.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Whitwell
    girls
    good room