Stocksbridge Band Club 2007

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by tubafran, Jan 30, 2007.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I've just received from Stocksbridge Band the details of this year's Band Club engagements and the details are as follows:

Stocksbridge Band are now planning the return of the ever popular Band Club to start early 2007.

For those familiar with the band and the club, we have run this free concert season for several years now at the band's own expense. The past year was a difficult one due to the closing of the normal band club base - the Victory Club in Stocksbridge.

We have now been offered the use of the Niagara Conference and Leisure Centre, just off Penistone Road in Sheffield as a base for the Band Club - thanks go to the South Yorkshire Police Band for their help organising this.

04/02/2007 Rockingham
    11/02/2007 Strata
    18/02/2007 Barnsley Building Society
    25/02/2007 Langsett Dance Orchestra
    04/03/2007 Yorkshire RegionalChampionships
    11/03/2007 Thurlstone
    18/03/2007 Oughtibridge
    25/03/2007 Stannington
    01/04/2007 No Band Club
    08/04/2007 Easter Weekend
    15/04/2007 Killamarsh
    22/04/2007 Dodworth
    29/04/2007 Stocksbridge Brass Band

Come along on the 4th February and support the Band Club. With your help we can keep your local Band Club the pride of the area.
  2. timbloke

timbloke Member

I notice South Yorkshire Police Band are not playing themselves despite helping organise it?

Should make getting to it a bit easier being just down the road, and now no longer having band on a Sunday night, I may well go to a few. Just hope the bands are not competing with the Karaoke like in the Peggy Tup/Tub? last year!
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

On an email I got before Christmas asking for bands to apply to play it was mentioned that the South Yorks Police Band would be doing the first one planned for the 28th January - I spoke with Dad and Andy P from the Police Band at Butlins and asked them to confirm if they were playing but they knew nothing about it.

This venues got to be better than the Peggy Tub and good luck to both the bands for giving this event another go.
  4. clare_euph

clare_euph Member

Cheers TubaFran for posting......was just about to do it myself!! I'm sure it will be a lot better that the Peggy Tub. Looking forward to seeing you all there!
  5. clare_euph

clare_euph Member

Don't forget, first band club is tomorrow for an 8pm start!!
  6. timbloke

timbloke Member

Was at the Rockingham concert yesterday, and would like to congratulate Stocksbridge and SY Police Band on putting on the band club series in such a nice venue (with the exception of the big pillar in the middle that blocked out the view of the cornets). Also the fact that it is a much more accesible venue in terms of distance from my house (just about walkable) and ample parking (if I'm feeling lazy). I'm looking forward to going to a few of the concerts.

Also well done to Rockinghams trombone section, sounded fantastic.
  7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

and for the BOCs who would like to know what they played it was:

Great Escape
    Wishing You Where Somehow Here Again
    Leaning on a Lampost (trom solo)
    Our Boys Will Shine Tonight
    The Air That I Breath
    Share My Yoke (cornet solo)
    Anything Goes
    A Little Bit More (Dr Hook)
    New York, New York

Famous British Marches
    Evening Hymn & Last Post
    Only Love (Flugel solo)
    Yellow Submarine
    Mr Sandman (trom trio)
    Young Mardy Ass
    Breezing Down Broadway

Good venue, good show and cheapish beer.
  8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

But was the beer as cheap as the victory club used to be?
  9. timbloke

timbloke Member

I disagree Francis, it was just over £2/pint of creamflow Smiths or Carling. so not what I'd call cheap at all, or particularly nice. The 1"+ head on my first pint needed a flake to complete it!
  10. geordiecolin

Disappointing, not a patch on the £1.30 pints and free lung cancer at the Victory Club.
  11. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

stop whinging you old gits!! I don't know.. free concert season.. and all you can do is chunter chunter chunter... you two never change ;-)

Was good to see so many people there. Really pleased with the new venue. Thanks to the Police Band who have helped Stocksbridge put this togethor.

Rockingham put on a really enjoyable programme, and the new all singing all dancing 'key to the box' safe didn't cause too many problems!

Strata next week, which I'm certain will be a superb concert.
  12. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Classic :clap: - it must be following Tim's elevation to the sacred hall of the lower brass section that he's now classed as a "whinging old git"; this is the preserve of bass sections everywhere to have a good whinge about anything and everything - perhaps it's where we are sat?
  13. geordiecolin

I miss Band Club.

Free music and cheap beer!!

Unbeatable Sunday night entertainment.
  14. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

just ask them to top it up then...and don't ruin the flake !
  15. timbloke

timbloke Member

I've tried that before (not there) but got the response "it's a measured pint and an oversized glass".
  16. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

I agree! actually I was meaning Tim and Colin but I shall include you anyway Fran so you don't feel left out :)

Actually there was a good point raised in all that; We spoke to the club after Sunday night about moving everything forward so some of the audience don't end up behind that big pillar in the middle, so that bit should be sorted by next week. Can't do anything about the prices though I'm afraid Tim, but we've always been a bit spoilt in the past at the Victory Club. So you'll just have to pay 1990 prices instead of 1960 prices! Sorry mate.
  17. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

ah well...but that is just rubbish - "an oversized glass" a pint glass is a pint glass.

Stingy sods x
  18. clare_euph

clare_euph Member

Due to unforseen circumstances, this week's band club will be performed by Stocksbridge Band, not Barnsley Building Society Band as advertised.
  19. SuperCat

SuperCat Member

Oh, was thinking of popping down to see my old band BBSBB, have they a new date then?

20. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Thoroughly enjoyed the band club this Sunday (11th March) Thurlstone band provided an insight into some of the future talent of banding with some fantastic young soloists. Great to see this talent being encouraged.

Some great audiences turning up too, but there's still space for more to squeeze in, I'd recommend this to anyone who wants a great evening of free brass band entertainment.

Unlike many band clubs around the country, this one seems to flourishing, but please keep spreading the word and encourage more and more people to turn up, the band club and these young bands really need your support.

PS, Please please please take part in the raffle and 'key to the box' draws. Not only is there some substantial money to be won, but this is also the only way the band club is funded.