Stockport Silver Band is continuing to grow

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by KitKat, Mar 14, 2008.

1. KitKat

KitKat New Member

Stockport Silver Band is pleased to announce their growth from just five players and near extinction in 2004 to thirteen regular players today. In 2004 the band nearly folded but with a steady groundswell of interest and determination, has managed to maintain a cohort of playing interest. The Band are welcoming new players to it’s ranks and already are booking concerts for the coming year, the first on Friday 25th April at St Matthews Church, Edgeley, Stockport at 7:30pm.

The Band has a non-contesting profile and is the elder in establishment of the two bands in Stockport today.

Under the newly appointed baton of Steve Shawcross the band aim to perform mainly on the concert platform. Steve said he was delighted with the progress and keenness the players are showing already and is looking forward to working with the band this year, especially on this concert programme.

Rehearsals are on Tuesday evenings between 8pm and 10pm, and any interested players of all ages and ability, who may be new to banding or want a return from retirement, will be welcome. In the first instance anyone interested should visit the band’s website and contact one of the officers prior to coming down.

2. MattB

MattB Member

Good to see the band filling up, hope everything goes well for you.

3. les

les Member

Good luck Steve with your new venture!

MD EcclesBorough Band
  4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Good luck to you - I used to help Stockport out occasionally about 15-20 years ago when Brian Jones was conducting - doubt I'll know anyone there now! Good to see you are stil going though....
  5. brass stick

brass stick Member

thanks to you Matt, Les and Dave for your good wishes!

I depped with SSB when Brian was around and do remember him.

6. vonny

vonny Member

Hey Steve,

Flipped past this thread - sorry not intentional of course!
    All the best with your new venture :clap:
  7. mictop

mictop New Member

Great news I started my brass band playing with Stockport Silver about 25 years ago and remember going to rehursals when they were down to 4 players, Brian is no longer with us great man great personality sad loss so it's great to see them still alive and kicking good luck Steve for the future of one of the oldests bands in the country
  8. Congratulations

Well done for keeping going and working so hard. Lets hope all your determination pays dividends in the days ahead.

AEHOWGATE Member

Kathryn has our numbers if ever you need help, from all at Chapel en le Frith.
  10. KitKat

KitKat New Member

Thanks all for the great replies and offers!

It's great to hear old players coming forward too, please email me if you have any old stories or anecdotes about the band - we're trying to build up a 'band history' for on the website. Even if it's just a little bit of info on when you played & who the conductor was at the time.

11. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I remember doing the Lord Mayor's parade (or some such thing - maybe it was just the town carnival) when the band had no music at all because someone had forgotten to bring any!! Luckily we did have three drummers so we did the entire march (bar the last 200 yards or so) on drum solos! It must have been quite comical watching us crest the brow of the hill, walk down the hill past the town hall and back up the other side without playing a note!

You probably don't want to put that on your website though! :tongue:

I also remember marching behind a police motorcyclist who took us the wrong way and us having to try to get back to the front of the procession.....

On the plus side, I think I did my first contest with Stockport, (Pontins at Morecambe if I remember correctly) and my first Whits! :clap:
  12. mictop

mictop New Member

I remember following the police motorcyclists it was in Hazel Grove we got onto the A6 and had to counter March while the precession waited. The first contest for pontins would have been at Southport I had many a great Easter there with Mike & Amanda, my first conductor at Stockport was Neil Oliver who was then replaced by Graham Heatherington, Mike Greaves then took over, followed Phil Macaully(?) . Brian Jones took over from him, great days, I lost alot of brain cells with Stockport Silver!!!
  13. mictop

mictop New Member

Just to continue the thread when I joined (about 1983) the band rehursed at the Hollywood Hotel in Edgeley, we then moved to a leisure centre in Brinnington because the then conductor would not rehurse in a pub (not like most bandspeople that I know!!) after a couple of members had been mugged or threatened we moved to the Gardners Arms (the war Office) after that we moved to St Matthews School and then into the church
  14. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I remember the Gardners Arms - that's where I learned the essential bandsman's skill of drinking!! :oops: I wasn't exactly 18 at the time either..... :tongue:

The drinking facilities at the school weren't anything like as good!!