Stockholm South Band visiting U.S.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by John Brooks, Apr 3, 2006.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Stockholm South Band (formerly Stockholm VII) are visiting the U.S. on a tour that starts later this week. Anyone able to hear them? I know they start in the North East.

I'm disappointed that I won't be able to go. I'm heading to California next week but they aren't going that far west as far as I know.

2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Where are they from? What are their tour dates? Will they be through Ohio?

3. John Brooks

Stockholm, Sweden. Dates and locations from their website as follows:

Fredag
    7/4
    Avresa från Stockholm
    Hempstead, NY

Lördag
    8/4
    Berlin, CT

Söndag
    9/4
    Manchester, CT
    Philadelfia, PA

Måndag
    10/4
    Washington, DC

Tisdag
    11/4
    Charlotte, NC

Onsdag
    12/4
    Nashville, TN

Torsdag
    13/4
    Atlanta, GA

Fredag
    14/4
    Oklahoma City, OK

Lördag
    15/4
    Bradenton, FL

Söndag
    16/4
    Bradenton, FL

Måndag
    17/4
    Hemresa

Tisdag
    18/4
    Ankomst till Arlanda

4. DublinBass

With more brass bands in Ohio than any other State...why do many bands not schedule tours through our area...is it that dull?

(At least we got ISB and Stavenger on their tours)

5. John Brooks

I agree and feel the same way about Ontario. Even if the tour can't include Canada, a visit to Detroit or Buffalo is guaranteed to draw from this area.

6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

The itinerary has much to do with this type of tour is organized. The visiting band must be invited by the local Salvation Army commands, and everything has to be authorized via the respective territorial headquarters. In general, while the band is "in country", the local SA centers have to bear a portion of the cost. For example, while the band is in Washington, their hotel and meal costs will be covered at least partially by the local Divisional Headquarters.

Some tours are entirely financed by the visiting band (usually when visiting an area where the local SA does not have the funds available). But they still need local contacts in order to arrange the engagements.

In this case, the conductor of the Stockholm band, Lars-Otto Ljungholm has extensive ties to the USA Southern Territory (having served as the Music Director for the National Capital and Virginia Division for 13 years), so most of the tour is taking place there. The stop in Berlin, CT is being organized by his cousin, etc.

7. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

because it IS Ohio. Sorry Pat, had to pick that one up, it was too obvious. You'd have been disappointed if no one did.

I think it's the curse of the four letter named states. Must admit they're covering some ground, I was following it all pretty logically until they threw in OKC....

I suppose from a touring perspective, most would fly into the east coast, and everybody wants to go to Florida, so it makes Ohio, Iowa and Utah a bit out of the way. I don't think they're shunning us (well, at least not Iowa and Utah) it's just a matterr of Geography. No doubt some invitations and funding must come into play at some point.

8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I'm posting some details on a few of the concerts in the tour . . . (Note to other mods - contact details included by permission!)

BERLIN, CONNECTICUT
    Saturday, 8 April

7:00 pm
    Bethany Covenant Church
    287 Mill Street
    Berlin, CT

90 minutes from NY and Boston. For free tickets and directions contact oljungholm@hotmail.com. Tickets can also be obtained by visiting the church office or calling (860) 828-3637.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WASHINGTON, DC

Monday, 10 April

3:00 pm
    Outdoor Concert, Lincoln Memorial
    On the National Mall
    Washington, DC

7:30 pm
    Festival of Music
    The Salvation Army
    Alexandria Citadel
    1804 Mount Vernon Avenue
    Alexandria, VA

All performances are free. For more information, contact Robert Schramm at webmaster@nationalcapitalband.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OKLAHOMA CITY, OKLAHOMA

Friday, 14 April

Petree Hall – Kirkpatrick Fine Arts Center
    Oklahoma City University
    2501 N. Blackwelder
    Oklahoma City, OK 73106

The Stockholm South Citadel Band of the Salvation Army will be performing a free concert and all are welcome. Please contact Andrew Barrington at (405) 254-1136 for further information.

9. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Oklahoma City was included on the tour because the SA Music Director in that area, Andy Barrington, was in the Washington area for several years and served as Deputy Bandmaster of the National Capital Band when Lars-Otto Ljungholm was the Bandmaster here.

10. DublinBass

What's really a pity is that their tour dates coincide with when we typically have our annual God and Country Concert (April 22nd this year). This is the first year we do not have a Salvation Army Band at the Concert. In recent years we've had the NYSB and ChiSB (We even had Enfield once). This year we have Chris Jaudes from the Montclair Citadel Band as our only guest.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    U.S.. Stockholm South Band
    Stockholm South Band
    U.S.
    Anyone
    tour
  12. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

That's a shame. They are an excellent band. You'll have a good time with Chris, though. He's not only an excellent player, he's an all-around good guy.

13. DublinBass

Who is Stockholm Brass's MD...Torgney Hansen or summat (sp)? I think my wife accidently ran into him at the air port in OK City!!

14. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Torgny Hansen is the immediate retired MD. The current conductor is Lars-Otto Ljungholm.

Unfortunately, Torgny suffered a cardiac incident just before the concert in Oklahoma City - had to be taken to hospital, underwent angioplasty and had two stents placed. He had to stay behind in Oklahoma City to recuperate.

15. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I heard the band in Bradenton last Saturday evening when they performed an attractive programme. It's worth mentioning that Ove Ericson is still the principal cornet player at age 60. He played "Life's Pageant" with the experience one would expect. Some will recall he was the guest soloist at the SA's annual Royal Albert Hall festival in 1966.

I was sorry not to see Torgny Hansen (see last post) but I understand he's doing well.

16. wez.k

wez.k Member

Torgny Hansen is an old friend of mine. I'm sorry to hear he is in hospital. If anyone reading this is in contact with him, please pass on my best wishes for a speedy recovery. My real name is Wesley Kendrick.

17. John Brooks

Thanks for that Brian. Ove Ericson has been, imho, a great example of consistency over many years. I've heard him several times, including the 1966 RAH Festival you mentioned (I left the UK for Canada the following Wednesday). He also featured in a Trombone & Cornet duet with Brian Midgley that night but I can't remember the title or composer. Unfortunately, neither performance made it onto the subsequent LP.

In a previous US tour I heard the band (then Stockholm VII) in Detroit. The penultimate item on a long program was a cornet solo and, if I remember correctly, Ove performed Dean Goffin's "Victorious".

Did anyone else have the opportunity to hear the band?

18. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Heard them in Washington, where they played twice - an outdoor concert at the Lincoln Memorial in the afternoon, and then an evening festival. Very enjoyable - I talked to several in attendance who are not exactly "brass band" people but they still enjoyed the performances greatly. They were a bit handicapped in that they had a rather trying journey from Philadelphia to DC - normally, this takes about 3 hours to drive but they ran into some serious traffic issues and took almost 6 hours to get here. Played Renaissance and Laudate Dominum as the "big" items in the evening festival, with Ove doing Life's Pageant and Richard Kendrick playing The Song of the Brother.

Those of us in the National Capital Band have a connection to the band, as Lars-Otto Ljungholm was here for 13 years, serving as principal cornet and later MD of the NCB.

We also had the pleasure of having Ove Ericson do a short tour with us in 2001 as guest soloist - a great player and a class individual.