Stockholm pianos

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by picju96, Feb 13, 2008.

1. picju96

picju96 Member

Hi everyone,

Just about to get a second hand piano, does anyone know anything about Stockholm pianos?

Thanks for your help,

2. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

hello julia

I am a piano tuner but I`ve not come across a stockholm. If you are buying privately and are a novice it would be worth asking a local tuner to take a look at it for you. Best advice i can give is if it sounds ok but one or two notes are way out of tune leave it. Also if its really pretty with inlay detail on the case and also possibly walnut coloured its probably really old and past it. Usually the plainer the case the younger the piano and the safer it is to buy. Don`t buy a straight strung (lift up the top lid and look at the direction of the strings - if they cross over its ok if they travel straight down its very very old). Never ever buy a piano advertised as "just needs tuning" as 19 times out of 20 it means it is a heap of old junk. good luck X
  3. picju96

picju96 Member

Thanks for your reply. I went to see the piano and have a play on it, turns out it was actually a Studholme. Anyway, it was terribly out of tune, and looked quite ancient so we left it. It also was rather wobbly as it had lost a caster!