Sticky Valves

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by picju96, Jan 6, 2003.

?

Which is the best type of valve oil?

1. Besson

35.2%
  2. Blue Juice

27.8%
  3. Selmer

1.9%
  4. Holton

3.7%
  5. Yamaha

3.7%
  6. Other - please specify!

27.8%
  1. picju96

picju96 Member

Which is the best type of valve oil? I was wondering what you lot thought and use.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sticky Valves
    Blue Juice
    WoodenFlugel
    loads
    little bit
  3. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I use Al Cass.. nice and light with no residue..

although, I am informed that the Yamaha oil is pretty good too..

4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

argh...valve oil...... now we are really onto the serious talk! :lol:
    yamaha is good....that is what i used.....until mine dissappeared!! :cry:

5. I use Besson, never had a problem with my sovreign, but the Yamaha didn't like it, had to oil twice a practice!!!!

6. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

cant beat al cass, well you can actually i have a friend in the oil trade and he got me 3 pint of very fine oil just as good as valve oil for 17p!, just shows how much profit the're making !!

7. i dont use any valve oil - i go 4 the cheap stuff - if i eva get a sticky valve spit is always the best option - chaeap and u cant forget it at that crutial time :lol:

8. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Yeah, but hard to 'bring up' if you're nervous?!! :)

9. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

I must admit one of the best valve oil's I've come accross recently is the 'Courtois' valve oil. It's very effective and very light, doesn't pong (like the Holton valve oil for example!) and works like a charm. :)

10. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

I like blue juice- always use it - can't stand Yamaha always seems to leave the valves worse than before i oiled them/they need doing quite a few times i practice to maintain smoothness....

but of course spit is a very good alternative

:grnsm

11. HBB

HBB Active Member

I use Al Cass ... but is it me or does it seem to be geting more and more expensive?????

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sticky Valves
    Blue Juice
    WoodenFlugel
    loads
    little bit
  13. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

I use al Cas and yeah I think it is getting on in price - may have to go back to licking the valves.

14. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Think i already posted this elsewhere...

Soak the BOTTOM half of the valve in coke overnight (strips the mess off it - bit like the dentist and penny demo when your a kid - "this is what it does to your teeth you know"

Small amount of comfort (or other fabric softner) in water - (bout 1 part softner to 20 parts water) and mix... put it in a spray bottle (like trombone spray bottle or something) and spray on the rinsed valves. Softner stops the grease coming back and leads to fast valves - occasionally rinse and respray (like once a sheffield flood - or should that be a Tim Henman win)

Works for me...

15. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I use blue juice, seems to be the only one the shops near me sell.

16. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

I'll give that one a try valvecap - sticky valves get right up my nose - may take a lot of coke to get the snot off.

17. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

blue juice all the way!!

18. groovy

groovy Active Member

I couldn't find my valve oil to check, (my room is a tip! :roll: )but I think its Hinderson.

Its pretty good, its lasted for ages and it was only £1.50. I hardly need to use it, my valves rarely need "servicing."

I have a bottle of Besson lying around too, but I never use it cos its useless!

19. 007superfan

007superfan New Member

I use Al cass it is really good, only use a little drop and lasts for ages :lol:

20. Al Cass 'Fast'.....

Ken F.

21. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Blue Juice for me, although that can be a bit expensive too.

22. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Me too but it lasts for ages. I've had my current bottle for over a year and it's hardly started!